TV tuner in new Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by psychometry, Oct 22, 2010.

1. psychometry macrumors regular

Has anyone successfully installed a TV tuner into a 2010 MP Pro? I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a hardware+software solution for getting a U.S. TV signal on my 2010 MP.

2. Tilpots macrumors 601

Tilpots

Try Elgato. They rock.

3. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

I just finished watching the Jay Leno show on my mac pro I used an elgato hybrid stick to record it. you need a usb2 jack to be free and you need to run a coax cable to the stick. I use it for free tv with a tv antenna on the roof, but it will work with a cable signal or a dish.

4. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Elgato is the usual Mac solution for both HW and SW, and it works well. I've used the EyeTV Hybrid HW with I think EyeTV 3. It requires $20/year for electronic programming guide (EPG), first year is free. The yearly fee bothers me so I sold the Hybrid on Ebay.

Not quite as slick but still very good SW is SageTV. It has the advantage of no yearly subscription required, so you save $20 a year. If you get SageTV you'll need a compatible HW tuner. I really like the Silicon Dust HDHomerun. It is a network tuner. Put the tuner where the coax is and connect it to the network. This has several advantages: you don't have to run your coax to the computer, you don't use up a USB port or PCI slot, there is a dual tuner model so you can record one channel and watch a different one at the same time (or record two different channels at the same time), it doesn't require any drivers in OS X, and any computer on the network can use it as long one of the tuners is free to use.

I have found the SiliconDust HDHomeRun solution to be much more satisfactory overall. In fact, even if you like the EyeTV software better and don't mind the subscription, you can buy it standalone without Elgato's hardware and use EyeTV with the SiliconDust tuner.

All of my experiences are with OTA TV (antenna). I don't know how well these work (or don't) with cable, and I've heard experiences vary based on what's available in clear QAM in your area.

5. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

I think my last post was confusing. Here's my recommendation:

For a tuner, get the Silicon Dust HDHomeRun (dual-tuner model). It has tons of advantages, including being dual-tuner.

For DVR software, I'd get the trial versions of EyeTV and SageTV. See which you like better, while keeping in mind EyeTV will require $20/year after the first year. Then pony up for the one you like.

6. philipma1957 macrumors 603

philipma1957

eyeTv does not require a yearly fee. the catch is if you record you have limitations. ie 3 hours tops and you must start it and stop it manually .

7. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

8. stix666 macrumors regular

There are other ways of getting the TV guide onto the software. In the UK Freeview provide their own free OTA guide. And its possible to edit some preference file so that it points at a free TV guide (I can't remember how now, a search at the elgato forums should bring it up). It's true that the software comes bundled with a free 1 year subscription to tvtv. And you have to pay to continue using tvtv after that

9. dissolve macrumors 6502a

Has anyone gotten a PCIe tuner to work in OS X?

10. flatfoot macrumors 65816

With most channels, at least here in Germany, an EPG is broadcasted via DVB-T. I'm, however, using TVTV anyway because I think 20 bucks a year is not too much for this service, especially because it provides more detail and reaches further ahead than the DVB-T broadcasted EPG.

11. SR2 macrumors regular

This would be ideal