tvOS 10 GM - Single Sign-on

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by d21mike, Sep 7, 2016.

1. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

I installed the tvOS 10 GM but can not find anything about the New Single Sign-on to your Cable Provider. Does anyone know the status of this major feature?

2. benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

It's not ready yet, they're still working on it.

3. 2010mini macrumors 68040

What's the hold up? Cable companies dragging their feet?

4. benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

Any day now... soon.

5. PsykX macrumors 6502a

I don't know if it's the same as we're speaking, but if you're talking about getting access to YouTube, Netflix, etc. with the single sign-on feature, actually, the apps need change. It'll get deployed when tvOS 10 officially hits the store and apps are compiled with Xcode 8 with these new APIs.

6. javigarrido macrumors newbie

I thought the sign-on feature was implemented in the tvos 10 update, but it's not there. will we have to wait until the next update 10.0.1 for it?

7. besler3035 macrumors 6502a

Not at all. Single sign-on feature is being able to login in the settings with your cable provider, and authenticating all your TV apps. Nothing to do with Netflix or YouTube. Specifically channel-based apps that require a TV subscriber login.

8. d21mike thread starter macrumors 68040

d21mike

We are talking about the feature to enter your CABLE Provider Credentials ONCE for the Apps like ABC, NBC, TNT etc. This particular feature is not talking about NETFLIX or YOUTUBE etc. JUST the CABLE Provider Credentials.

However, if there was a place to store my NETLIX and HULU credentials in iCloud for my iOS and tvOS Devices I would love that too. But there has been no mention of that as far as I know.

9. dennysanders macrumors 6502

dennysanders

you can still apply his reasoning to the cable provider apps. those may need an update as well.

10. d21mike thread starter macrumors 68040

d21mike

@benjitek said "It's not ready yet, they're still working on it." and "Any day now... soon.". He did not say where that information came from. Maybe he could provide a LINK if published but I suspect it is just a guess since Apple said it would be in tvOS 10. Maybe the CABLE Providers are baulking. I started this tread hoping I was simply missing something but Apple seems to continue to struggle to do anything with the CABLE Providers.

11. jdag macrumors 6502a

d21mike, I completely agree that this is 1 of the most frustrating aspects of using streaming boxes and apps (especially the seemingly endless automatic log outs in many apps). And as you likely know, it is not just an AppleTV issue.

The same individually managed logins per app are part of the Roku, FireTV, etc. devices. To my knowledge, Apple will be the 1st to address/correct this. I really hope that it is also handled for every AppleTV in the household (I have 3 of them, and it would be wonderful if this info was iCloud based).

That being said, I suspect that once the capability is added via the tvOS update, the individual app use of the capability will necessitate app updates and likely will trickle in over the coming months. I hope I am wrong on this, but I am not expecting a "flick of the switch" improvement.

12. d21mike thread starter macrumors 68040

d21mike

I agree. There are some providers that do not even allow these Apps to work or at least not all of them. In my case I do not watch commercials unless I absolutely have to so this is NOT my number one way to watch TV. There are a lot of things I am hoping for but just thinking this is a start.

13. Benz63amg macrumors 68020

Benz63amg

thats a real bummer, this is the feature i was most looking forward to in TVos10

14. 2010mini macrumors 68040

If you pay for Netflix and Hulu through iTunes, all you have to do is enter your iTunes account info.

15. d21mike thread starter macrumors 68040

d21mike

Agreed. but Hulu and now CBS All Access charge extra. Since I get discount iTunes cards it comes out about the same but this could be a trend. Also, for CBS I want the No Commercial Option and currently you can not get it if you pay via iTunes. I think there are some add-on's with Hulu that originally you could not get but I was not interested. Since I had been paying for Netflix and Hulu directly before have not changed. But I do get HBO, Showtime, Starz and Feeln via iTunes and the discount iTunes Cards help. On a side note I got a years worth of iTunes Cards for around 15-20% discount last Black Friday and shortly there after. Plan to do it again this year if I can.

16. PsykX macrumors 6502a

If I remember the WWDC Keynote accordingly, cable provider or not, we're talking about the same thing, and it's not happening for as long as these apps aren't updated.

17. d21mike thread starter macrumors 68040

d21mike

I agree that each CABLE/FIOS/SAT TV Provider will need to support this and I suspect not only update the App but support Apples "Single Sign-on" Authentication as well. So this could take a while even after Apple is ready. And even though I wish you were right about other Apps like Netflix I believe the Singe Sign-on is talking about your Cable Provider "Network" Apps (i.e. ABC, NBC, FOX etc). If you want to verify this, go to WWDC Keynote at time 32:40.

18. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Some of the networks/pay tv providers have been doing this on their own. I have found that channels that are owned by the same network all authenticate at the same time when I go through the steps to set up one of them.

Like the Disney channels ( XD, Disney Jr etc)

19. 6836838 Suspended

You're only going to get the iOS compiled Apps which support this once it goes public. The same goes for any OS release. Apps don't magically support this stuff until the developers implement the feature using the updated SDK.

20. mallbritton macrumors 6502a

Once tvOS 10 is released publicly the updated apps will follow pretty quickly. The developers have been working with the beta to get their apps ready.

21. Benz63amg macrumors 68020

Benz63amg

its coming out this Tuesday right?

22. mallbritton macrumors 6502a

23. Benz63amg macrumors 68020

Benz63amg

Well iOS 10 is coming out Sept 13 according to this site http://www.tomsguide.com/us/ios-10-september-13-release,news-23391.html

so it makes sense that WatchOS 3 and TVOS 10 will come out on that day as well, MacOS Sierra is scheduled to come out September 20

24. bizzy045 macrumors 6502

bizzy045

how the hell do you you use single sign on on the apple tv..there is no instructions or useful info anywhere!

25. mallbritton macrumors 6502a

@bizzy045 you have to have tvOS 10, in a 4th gen. Apple TV, which hasn't been released yet. Be patient.