TvOS 11 and volume issues

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by MauriceMoss, Sep 21, 2017.

1. MauriceMoss macrumors member

MauriceMoss

Hey everyone.

I was wondering if anyone was experiencing any audio issues after the update.
    Apparently auto-update is turned on because I don't normally update my OS' until a week or two after release to avoid these kind of issues.

My normal listening volume on my Samsung Plasma is anywhere from 15-20 depending on the app. (DirecTv Now is about 18, Youtube is around 15, Netflix can be as high as 20-22)

But after the update, I have to have it cranked up to around 50-60 to even hear anything and all the clicks and UI sounds are deafeningly loud. This holds true for everything. DirecTv Now, Netflix, Hulu, PBS, FOX, the movies we own in iTunes, Games on the AppleTV.... literally anything. (minus the volume up and down beeps and UI sounds from the remote. Those are super loud.)

Anyone have any ideas? It was fine last night before it updated.

2. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Yup, exact same thing happened to me. Came here seeing if I was crazy. I too have a Samsung TV. Monkeyed around with settings, can’t figure it out. I have my sound being output to a surround sound system. Before my listening volume was 40, now 50 is too quiet.

3. Silent Night macrumors newbie

Silent Night

It’s definitely an issue with the Apple TV update. If you go to settings then under system - click restart. When it restarts the sound will be fine.

When the sound goes out again later, just restart again. It will fix it for now until Apple figures it out and releases a patch.

4. piperatthegates macrumors newbie

piperatthegates

If this doesn’t work for you just go into settings, then video and audio, go to surround sound and select 5.1

5. iFan83 macrumors regular

mmm I haven't had this issue at all, volume is fine for me

6. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

Same issue as me then?
    --- Post Merged, Sep 25, 2017 ---
    If you don’t want to restart, just resetting the HDMI cable will temporarily fix the issue. Problem is it returns very shortly after.

7. mallbritton macrumors 6502a

I thought it was just me. This bug was NOT in the beta. Glad to find out a restart fixes it, at least temporarily.

8. PabloSRT8 macrumors member

PabloSRT8

i noticed this too. my normal listening was no more than 20, and now im about 40-50!
    This is with the new 4k apple tv.

9. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

Well you weren't running the betas on the 4K now were you?

Bug is not present on GM on my old Apple TV.

10. Tech198 macrumors G5

same here..... but probably would be a fix. Restore ?

11. MauriceMoss thread starter macrumors member

MauriceMoss

A reset fixes it, but apparently I was the first to report it to apple.. I have engineers calling me every day wanting to discuss it. I have yet to be able to connect with one though.

12. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

Where did you report it? I want them to get in touch as well.

13. danieleilertsen macrumors regular

danieleilertsen

14. ErikGrim macrumors 68040

ErikGrim

I have literally never gotten anything out of these forms. It’s shouting into the void.

15. danieleilertsen macrumors regular

danieleilertsen

Why would you say thay? I recon they read it?

16. ThatGuyInLa macrumors 6502

ThatGuyInLa

I too here in late September am having the low audio issue but ONLY for iTunes Movies. All other apps, including iTunes TV Shows play audio at normal volume.

Every iTunes movie whether it be owned, rented, UHD, HD, DD5.1, or Atmos, play so quietly I have to max out my Pioneer. (Same on my Onkyo too) Most of the time I play at -25db to -30db, but for iTunes Movies, it’s a whopping -10db to near ZERO. The danger is when I return to another app after the movie I’ve blown my ears out!

17. KevenL macrumors newbie

KevenL

Same issue with iTunes content - at least movies. Will have to check tv shows tomorrow.