TVOS 11 nearly 20% slower than 10!

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by worldofjon, Feb 4, 2018.

1. worldofjon macrumors newbie

worldofjon

I've been running some tests on my apple tv and just upgraded to tvos 11 and noticed a large drop
    in performance.

fortunately a downgrade to 10.2 is still being signed, but its not just in your head if you were wondering.

how does apple release this kind of code, reminds me of the speed reduction 'feature' for old batteries.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 4, 2018 ---
    the screenshots show the FPS difference on the same code, just after upgrading.

Attached Files:

2. msephton macrumors 6502

msephton

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

It looks like it was display locked at 50 Hz... check your TV settings

4. worldofjon thread starter macrumors newbie

worldofjon

No, it was fluctuating either around 50hz or 60hz.

I ran the code from Xcode, then upgraded, then downgraded again.
    --- Post Merged, Feb 6, 2018 ---
    The tv was the same, was set to hdmi auto, so should have been the same
    --- Post Merged, Feb 6, 2018 ---
    It's a shame as I wanted an tvOS 11 api but the lagging is too great for me.

5. err404 macrumors 68020

No single benchmark will demonstrate the full differences between the two versions. This is more complex than simply saying it’s 20% slower. The system is being used in different ways. Frankly I have not heard of anybody complaining about performance on the Apple TV. What are you planning to use the device for that you are concerned about? Have you actually observed lagging? The UI will be about as fast as ever, and it will have no impact on content playback.
    Maybe some games will see a framerate hit, but subjectively I haven’t observed any. That said, the Apple TV has failed as a game machine, so its game performance hardly matters to most people.
    OS upgrades are rarely about improving performance. They are about expanding feature sets for newer and faster hardware. The reality is that you will usually see performance drop as a result.

6. Rigby macrumors 601

Since we don't know what exactly your code does, and neither what tvOS version and which ATV you are using, it's hard to say what's going on. Given that your framerates appear to be either around 50 or 60 fps, it may have something to do with the auto-framerate switching that was introduced in tvOS 11.2 (for ATV4K) and 11.3 (for ATV4). It's highly unlikely that tvOS 11 would reduce performance by 20% across the board.