tvOS 11

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by ajiuo, Jun 5, 2017.

1. ajiuo macrumors 65816

New Features:
    - Amazon Prime App
    -
    -
    -
    -

2. leon44 macrumors 6502

leon44

The automatic switching between light and dark mode, presumably based on sunrise/sunset, is a really nice one imo

3. ButteryScrollin macrumors 6502a

4. furbzv1 macrumors 6502a

furbzv1

i tried to? installed tvOS profile and went through downloading everything looked fine and then i got the white screen of death. Had to restore back to 10.2-- trying to install again.. you know because i live on the edge, lol

5. Justaguy48 macrumors member

I got the same problem. Everything was fine, but after the update just a while screen. Holding down the tv button brings up the sleep UI but besides that just white.

6. RamGuy macrumors 6502a

RamGuy

This seems to more or less confirm a new Apple TV to get released later this year. Tim said there would be much more information on the tvOS coming later this year and all the talk about 4K, HEVC/h.265 and HDR seems to be hinting at a new Apple TV supporting all these features.

7. mariusignorello macrumors 6502a

Only things that are different are automatic light/dark UI, TV Provider sign in during Setup Assistant and Settings UI tweaks here and there. Nothing major.

8. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

Personally I hope they fix the issue where pressing the menu button jumps you out to the main menu.. It is soooooo annoying and happens all the time.

Excellent speculation!

9. kiranmk2 macrumors 6502a

kiranmk2

Definitely agree with the idea that a new AppleTV with support for 4k, HEVC and HDR will be coming and presumably most of the TvOS updates will be specific to this model. Too much about HEVC and HDR video on iOS and MacOS devices for it not to appear. Also likely that Amazon Prime Video would debut with the release of this model so seems strange it even got a mention yesterday!
    I hope there's something else special about it cos by this Autumn, a 4K, HDR box would be the norm, not something exciting - perhaps Dolby Vision hardware support?

10. loekf macrumors 6502

loekf

That's an interesting one. I think Amazon's (Prime) Video uses Dolby Vision, while Netflix uses HDR10.

Totally agree, the mention of more news later this year definitely points into the direction of a ATV5 with HDMI 2.0a, 4K support and HEVC incl. support for 4K + HDR movies on iTunes.

Probably the ATV5 will get a A10 "light" SoC (single core). AFAIK, the A9 has no HEVC decoder supporting the right profile.

11. Jamie0003 macrumors 6502a

Does anyone know if this update includes support for AirPlay 2? It would be nice to know if current AirPlay hardware will support multi room audio

12. mac.cali macrumors 65816

13. mcfly88 macrumors 6502

I would think ATV4 will, feeling doubtful about 3 though. Really hoping, Airplay 2 is something most receivers can just update to.. been waiting for this feature for a while, would be shame if it required all new hardware.

14. K4LK macrumors 6502

K4LK

Same here. Installed the tvOS 11 restore ipsw using iTunes.

15. knemonic macrumors 6502a

From the keynote it seemed like they're going hevc across the board. Has anyone that's installed the atv4 beta tried any hevc content on it? I would think if they're going hevc full blown (keynote said they're recording everything in hevc on iPhones/iPads in 11) and the atv4 didn't support it hardware wise would really cause problems (for example, airplaying iPhone videos recording in iOS 11 to an atv4 wouldn't work).

Debating if I should transcode my library to hevc as it would save a lot of space on my nas, but I have 4 atv4s, so that would suck if I had to upgrade them (which I won't cause the loss to upgrade would be more than to simply add bigger hard drives in my nas). All my content is 1080p so I'm not concerned with 4K, yet.

16. iDento macrumors regular

iDento

I play HEVC on my Apple TV 4 all the time using Plex Media Server to transcode it from my Mac Mini '12.

Using HEVC to shoot videos on iPhone was the great news IMO.

17. knemonic macrumors 6502a

Agreed. What I'm curious is is your plex transcoding it from hevc to h.264 to be played on your atv4? Or is it playing it straight to the atv4 without transcoding it down to h.264?

18. kiranmk2 macrumors 6502a

kiranmk2

Looks like Apple is restricting HEVC to the latest models - so no HEVC in iPhone 6s. Don't know if this is a hardware limit or Apple being annoying. My thoughts were that the A8 supported HEVC for FaceTime on the iPhone 6 so we will have to see...

19. Lappen71 macrumors regular

Lappen71

No you don't play HEVC on your ATV4. PMS transcode it to x.264

20. Broken Hope macrumors 6502

Have they pulled the update? I have the tvOS 11 profile installed but when I search for update none is found. I've tried restarting.

21. Jamie0003 macrumors 6502a

I'll probably be getting the next Apple TV anyway as I just got a 4K setup, but I would like to move my current Apple TV to my bedroom and be able to do multi room audio in the lounge, bedroom and kitchen using Apple TV 4, 5 and Homepod.

It would be nice too if the next Apple TV includes multiple mics built in for people like me who already have a home theatre in their lounge with speakers, but would like the option of having seamless voice control like the homepod.

22. iDento macrumors regular

iDento

I know, it is transcoding the file. I am just saying that I'm watching HEVC files now and I am still saving 40% of my storage for even more movies.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 6, 2017 ---
    Transcoding. A Mac Mini from 2012 with 4 GB of RAM, dual cure Core i5 and a spinner drive can manage to transcode two 1080p movies at the same time, easily.

23. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Did anyone else notice when they were talking about h.265 and 4k.... one of the examples on screen was a tvOS screen saver?

24. FrancoisC macrumors 6502

FrancoisC

TvOS 11 does play HVEC natively (airplay), tried with HVEC videos filmed with my 7+, media type confimed with multiple softwares.

25. RamGuy macrumors 6502a

RamGuy

How would you know if it plays it back native? As far as I know there is no indication or information on neither the Mac, iPhone, iPad or the Apple TV itself that tells you whether its transcoding or not when using AirPlay.

Native HEVC requires Intel Skylake or newer, or Apple A10 or newer as far as I know. If you want full 10-bit HEVC you need Intel Kabylake. But Apple still enables HEVC in software so you will still get support for HEVC without meeting these requirements, at least on macOS. I bet you won't get it on iOS as software encoding and decoding is really inefficient so I guess Apple wouldn't waste all that CPU on software encoding and decoding HEVC.