Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

clayj

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
So... now that the Movies and TV Shows apps are useless on Apple TV in tvOS 17.2, when will we get the option to DELETE them? If the apps are useless, I don't want them hogging prime real estate.

Also: Boo on the loss of my Wish List. Apple, this is not acceptable. We need a cross-platform wish list that extends across tvOS *and* iOS/iPadOS.

ledzep1

macrumors 6502
Jan 24, 2016
It’s awful.

I’m not so much bothered about iTunes app going but at least make it a better layout, I can no longer see how many movies I have purchased like I could in iTunes app, and purchasing content has streaming apps mixing things up if it’s available on a streamer like Disney or Amazon.

Apple you need to sack whoever decided on this awful design choice.

bozzykid

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2009
So... now that the Movies and TV Shows apps are useless on Apple TV in tvOS 17.2, when will we get the option to DELETE them? If the apps are useless, I don't want them hogging prime real estate.
I would imagine they will leave the apps there for a while so people know they are going away. Eventually they will remove them but I doubt it will be soon. It's not hard to put them in a folder out of the way in the meantime.

FarmerBob

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2004
Accidentally, I have discovered that the Amazon FireTV 4K v1, although newly packed with a couple billion commercials, has proven to out perform the TV4K in PQ & AQ. The UI sucks. I'm amazed at what I've discovered.

We have the FTVS v2, but I haven't tried it yet and the TV4K v1 which I have been testing against . . .

Now I can use the cash for the v2 I was about to pull the trigger on and wait for the v3 or buy a Rezvani Vengeance.

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
Accidentally, I have discovered that the Amazon FireTV 4K v1, although newly packed with a couple billion commercials, has proven to out perform the TV4K in PQ & AQ. The UI sucks. I'm amazed at what I've discovered.

We have the FTVS v2, but I haven't tried it yet and the TV4K v1 which I have been testing against . . .

Now I can use the cash for the v2 I was about to pull the trigger on and wait for the v3 or buy a Rezvani Vengeance.
might be easier to talk less in acronyms and hieroglyphs....

What do you mean by FTVS? What do you mean by 'apple'V2. AppleTV boxes are way past v2. What "v3" are you waiting for?

AL2TEACH

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2007
North Las Vegas, NV.
I updated. Opened Trailers and had to go through the hell of Advertising and the very last row was yep Trailers, wtf!!!!, they must've thought that was clever :eek:
The people that put this repetitive WTF BS together should work on kindergarten projects :mad:
I usually give Apple a benefit of doubt because after a few upgrades the stuff does improve but this nonsense is beyond WTF.
💩 I should've never upgraded and waited til 17.2.6!!!!!!!!
Repetitive child like BS.

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
I updated. Opened Trailers and had to go through the hell of Advertising and the very last row was yep Trailers, wtf!!!!, they must've thought that was clever :eek:
The people that put this repetitive WTF BS together should work on kindergarten projects :mad:
I usually give Apple a benefit of doubt because after a few upgrades the stuff does improve but this nonsense is beyond WTF.
💩 I should've never upgraded and waited til 17.2.6!!!!!!!!
Repetitive child like BS.
you are lucky to have trailers at all.

In the UK unless im missing something... from the day they switched off the trailers app we havent had a trailers section in the iTunes movies app of the TV app visible to us at all.

Seemed harsh to turn it off then not give us the replacement here. I mean.. its only trailers they arent region locked or suchlike - so now for me trailers have to come from Youtube.

fatTribble

macrumors 65816
Sep 21, 2018
Ohio
Agreed!

The idea of the Apple TV app becoming my focal point for streaming is increasingly unlikely.
As you said, the Wishlist is gone and browsing for new purchases is not a pleasant experience.

The app feels like a gigantic commercial with little emphasis on allowing us to watch what we’ve already paid for.

I disconnected all streaming apps from the Apple TV app some time ago.
The less I have to use it the happier I’ll be.

NervousFish2

macrumors 6502
Mar 23, 2014
Agreed!

The idea of the Apple TV app becoming my focal point for streaming is increasingly unlikely.
As you said, the Wishlist is gone and browsing for new purchases is not a pleasant experience.

The app feels like a gigantic commercial with little emphasis on allowing us to watch what we’ve already paid for.

What do you use it for then?

PKIDelirium

macrumors newbie
Dec 22, 2020
I'm guessing the "hey we've moved" placeholders on both tvOS and the iOS iTunes Store app will stay around for the rest of the iOS 17 cycle and then be removed for 18. Maybe they'll even ditch the separate iTunes Store app from iOS 18 altogether and integrate it into the Music app like was already done on macOS.

Reactions: Javabird

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
reading through this, I'm glad I turned "automatic updates" off yesterday. and I think first time ever I saw a notification that a new OS is available last night ... will stay on 17.1 for the time being.

Reactions: Crow_Servo

dethier1958

macrumors newbie
Dec 14, 2022

Also: Boo on the loss of my Wish List. Apple, this is not acceptable. We need a cross-platform wish list that extends across tvOS *and* iOS/iPadOS.
Removing the wish list is a really bad move by Apple. I had a bunch of movies I was working my way through. That list is just gone now. I won't be renting or buying anything from Apple TV any more. Bad move Apple.

bbfc

macrumors 68040
Oct 22, 2011
Newcastle, England.
Agreed!

The Apple TV app is my focal point for streaming. I love how it pulls everything together in to one app.

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
The Apple TV app is my focal point for streaming. I love how it pulls everything together in to one app.
Mine too.

It is my ONLY TV interface and ive always liked it.

Aggregating content from other streaming apps is done well... I just wish NETFLIX would stop being so stubborn and integrate like the rest of them.

I often make allowances as the TV app is only as good as the metadata supplied to them from the other streaming services and sometimes that screws up badly but can always trace that back to errors at the source.

These changes are fine if a little clunky. There are a few things they need to addressed from this new iteration such as getting movie info before pressing play - im sure that will be addressed very soon as its an obvious oversight.

I actually support the notion that the iTunes apps are retired and bought into the TV app as it always struck me as strange to have that duplication before.

MauiPa

macrumors 68040
Apr 18, 2018

I use folders to move stuff off the screen that I don't want. Works great. Kapow

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.