TV's that can power on with iOS apps?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by gpspad, Nov 19, 2014.

1. gpspad macrumors 6502

Looking to get a TV for the bedroom. I want to be able to turn it on with my iphone or an IOS app and then use apple tv to stream content. I have a Logitech Harmony remote I love, but the Logitech Smart control hub's interface ios app is horrible. I hate that you can't rename buttons, its not an option for me.

Any suggestions for a TV that can do this?

Do the newer Samsungs support turning the TV of and on through a wireless network?

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

3. gpspad thread starter macrumors 6502

4. jimmirehman macrumors 6502

it cant power ON the TV though, because the TV doesn't broadcast it's IP address until it's turned on

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You are mistaken. Many newer TV's support wake on LAN and can be powered up over IP.

Quote below from Roomie help site.

6. jimmirehman macrumors 6502

i was speaking of Samsung TV's i didnt know anyone bothered with the other brands anymore.

7. markyr17 macrumors 65816

markyr17

This comment isn't ignorant or anything

8. jimmirehman macrumors 6502

well they have kind of taken over the marketshare in the TV world. so its not as ignorant as you make it out to be.

9. brand, Nov 29, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2014

brand macrumors 601

brand

Actually yes it is still ignorant. You are the one that assumed that everyone only bought and owned Samsung TVs.

You might want to educate yourself on the television manufacturers. From the 70 manufactures on that list that currently make TVs it would be ignorant to say that no one bothers with anything other than Samsung TVs.

I was able to find an article from February 18, 2014 saying that Samsung reached 26% of the TV marketshare and was the leader. It is ignorant to discount the 74% of the marketshare that Samsung doesn't have and to only assume that everyone only buys Samsung TVs.

10. Irishman macrumors 68030

Did you forget about LG and Sony? Oh, and Panasonic? Toshiba is struggling with relevance these days. Those are your main tier-one brands. Vizio is making inroads to becoming a tier-one brand now.

11. gpspad thread starter macrumors 6502

It's been a long time since I considered Sony as dominate as it used to be. There might have been a time when U.S. consumers wanted all Sony stuff in their home, I am not sure people associate Sony with that type of quality anymore.

I'm a Samsung snob when it comes to tv's, after going through a lot of reviews not sure they would be my top choice for other consumer products.

It's a tough market out there, every company has its niche.

12. Irishman macrumors 68030

Check out Sony's 900B current model. Quite drool worthy. #

13. takeshi74, Nov 30, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2014

takeshi74 macrumors 601

This is the definition of ignorant. It doesn't take much observation or even much Googling to realize that the other manufacturers are in business. Significant marketshare != only company in business. It also doesn't mean that the marketshare leader defines the only features and options on all products in the marketplace as clearly evidenced by this thread.

People don't buy only the brand you prefer no matter what the topic.

14. Uofmtiger macrumors 68000

Uofmtiger

I use roomie and I have an older Samsung TV. You can buy an one of these, but it will require you to use their IR blasters to get the signal to the television. Once it is setup, it works great, though.

At one time, you had to use the IR blasters to control the AppleTV, but if you are running the most current ATV firmware, you can control it without an IR blaster now.

15. jimmirehman macrumors 6502

I have Sony's , a Toshiba and Vizio in my home. all of them are from 2011 and earlier. just added a Samsung and the Difference is huge.
    Samsung is the only brand that has made actual advancements in their models year over year and the only manufacturer who is actually marketing their TVs. I used to swear by Sony... but frankly, they dont even try anymore

----------

As i said, i have 2 Sony's, 1 Toshiba, 1 Vizio and a newly added Samsung. I took a chance on Samsung coming from mainly a Sony as my preferred TV. Samsung simply dominates in user experience and picture quality. Go to any store, there are 58 Samsung models and 2-3 of every other brand. so i just assumed that they were pushing everyone else out.

----------

the fact that samsung has 26% of the market makes it the majority. If someone had a higher percentage, you would have quoted that number instead. one Brand has over a quarter of all TVs sold. All the other numerous brands make up the other 74%

16. Irishman macrumors 68030

Do you mind sharing the models and display tech each of those TVs use, including your new Sammy?

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Another exaggeration. While Samsung is a leader, it doesn't mean other brands don't have significant presence in stores. Here's a sample from just two retailers, showing brands and number of TV models available for that brand:

Walmart
    • Samsung 90
    • VIZIO 66
    • LG 46
    • RCA 30
    • Sony 21

Best Buy
    • Samsung 187
    • LG 82
    • VIZIO 64
    • Sony 35
    • Sharp 33
    • Toshiba 21
    • Panasonic 20
    • Insignia 17

18. HobeSoundDarryl, Dec 2, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2014

HobeSoundDarryl macrumors 603

HobeSoundDarryl

Hobe Sound, FL (20 miles north of Palm Beach)
    So why not get a IR blaster that can be controlled with bluetooth or wifi like this: http://www.theverge.com/2011/09/20/...k-100-programmable-ir-blaster-controlled-ipad

Sure this "wake on LAN" and similar is an interesting option but maybe OP will want to feed that TV something other than LAN video. Put an IR blaster in the right place and it can handle the on-off needs regardless of what kind of video OP wants to send to that TV.

And it will work with any new or old TV that works with a remote.

19. jimmirehman macrumors 6502

while my statement was an exaggeration. i think your comment sides with me.

----------

The Samsung is a UN65F8000.

the Others are 2011 or earlier, so yes they are quite a bit older. But finding any brand that beat that f8000 screen for the price point simply didn't happen.

20. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

No, it doesn't. Samsung may have more market share than the next competitor, but it by no means has "taken over the marketshare in the TV world", as you claimed. 24% marketshare is not dominant. That simply means that 3 out of 4 TVs being purchased are NOT Samsung.

21. Irishman macrumors 68030

I'm not going to dump on another man's TV choice, because I wouldn't want it done to me. That said, for picture quality (and isn't this what makes a great TV?) I would never knowingly choose an edge-lit LED backlit model for backlight uniformity. If LED-LCD is your thing, and if the best picture is your goal, you've gotta go for a FALD (full-array local dimming). That's why I mentioned the Sony 900B 2013 set upthread. It calibrates easily and accurately to Rec 709, with spot-on color and black levels that an edge-lit LED set can't touch.

The Smart Hub of Samsung TV's is notorious for being difficult to use (S-Voice thinking ppl in the room are talking to it, for example) and is certainly not the best of the crop. Their Smart Evolution Kit is a good idea that one of my co-workers uses for his 4K Samsung TV, one that I hope others take a cue from. The audio coming from your downward firing 1" drivers, and 20W of total skull-crushing system power [sarcasm mode off] all but insures you'll need outboard sound. I'm lucky with my Pioneer Elite PDP that it was bought just before the crazy race began towards ever-thinner HDTVs, because Pioneer provided these very thoughtful side-mounted 3" speakers which aim out into the room like speakers should (to be heard clearly), decent 36W for the stereo pair, plus a built-in subwoofer amplifier to plug a dedicated sub into the TV.

I get all the smart features I can use with my AppleTV, and Playstations 3 and 4! Heck, even the DirecTV Genie offers up Youtube and Pandora!

The picture quality of my Elite is only now being surpassed by the new crop of OLED HDTVs. Samsung offered one last year but bizarrely pulled out of that tech, leaving LG alone to offer their 55EC9300 set. It truly offers the best of both tech worlds:

1. The deep black levels that other emissive displays like CRT and plasma TVs offer
    2. The bright, true white output of LED TVs
    3. The wide viewing angles of CRT and plasma
    4. The natural motion processing of CRTs and plasma
    5. The thin, energy-efficient design of LED TVs

The only downside so far I've seen has been the curved design of the set. Although it's gentle and I would probably learn to look past it, I don't prefer it.

22. jimmirehman macrumors 6502

the Pioneer Elite PDP isnt in the same category as ANY of the TVs on the market today. The f8000 series has the absolute best picture quality out of every TV on the wall at all the major retailers in the 65" size. But hey, thanks for insulting my decision on what works best for me. Clearly your decision is all factual and unbiased. GO to the store and look at the selection of TVs available today and i bet you'll find the Samsung to be the better of the consumer options. Sure you can go to Pioneer or Sony and get their biggest badest most ridiculously overpriced TV, but 97% of the population doesnt do that. All i am saying is in Marketshare, marketing, and retail floor space, Samsung is leading the charge. Yes some of the features are purely gimmicks. The voice control does at times activate because it thinks it hears, "hi TV" but that is going to happen no matter what. I use my PS3 and AppleTV for most smart functions.

----------

So which of the other brands can say that 1 out of 4 TV purchases is their brand?!?! if the answer is none, then the only brand that CAN say that has the dominating Marketshare, regardless of the percentage.

23. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You're being deliberately obtuse because you made some inaccurate statements and rather than accept correction and move on, you want to argue your baseless position.
    That is false, as already proven.
    There's the key point. You admitted that you don't know, and others have proven your claims about dominance to be untrue with facts. It's time to let it go.

You need to learn about what constitutes market dominance:

Dominance (economics)

24. jimmirehman, Dec 3, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2014

jimmirehman macrumors 6502

My original statement was meant to be sarcatic due to Samsung's popularity. Why you felt you needed to puff out your chest and correct my vague and obvious satired statement, like this was some Televised court room disposition, is beyond me.

If you want to feel like you are superior because you have just as many opinions as myself, go right ahead. If you wish to PM me I will set you straight. otherwise consider this situation dropped.

I have a UN65F8000 and Roomie on my phone. I only checked once but when i did, it wasn't able to connect to the TV because it wasn't on and broadcasting it's IP. So forgive me all to hell if i was wrong or if its just my apparantly ****** TV..

25. Irishman, Dec 3, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2014

Irishman macrumors 68030

Oh my God. Arrogance and ignorance are a terrible combination.

The 9G Pioneer Elite KURO TVs (Pro-111FD and Pro-151FD), Pioneer Signature Elite (Pro-101FD and 161FD) and 9.5G KRP-500M and KRP-600M are recognized in the A/V and Home Theater by professional reviewers and owners alike (don't take my word for it...Google it on your F8000!) as best in class for picture quality - to this day!

They were introduced in 2008-2009, and were only equalled by Panaasonic's VT-60 and ZT-60 panels.

Don't take my word for it. Google it.