Tweetbot 5 for iOS Now Available With Refreshed Look, Dark Mode, and GIPHY Support

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 18, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

The newest version of the popular Tweetbot Twitter app for iOS devices launched this morning, introducing a revamped look for the app along with several new features.

Tweetbot 5's new look better matches the redesigned Mac version of Tweetbot that was introduced back in May, with redesigned profiles, tweet status details, timeline, and more. The app also adopts the new Tweetbot app logo that first debuted for Mac.

[​IMG]

The updated version of the iOS app includes a revamped Dark Mode that looks great on Apple's lineup of OLED iPhones, and GIFs and videos can now be set to autoplay. Autoplay is turned on when updating, but can be adjusted within the settings of the app.

[​IMG]

Built-in support for GIF service GIPHY adds a new GIF button to the compose window for quickly searching for and then adding a GIF to a tweet. Descriptions can be added to an image when creating a tweet, and Tapbots has added haptic feedback support.

[​IMG]

Full release notes for the update are below:
    Tweetbot can be downloaded from the App Store for $4.99. The new update is free for existing users. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Tweetbot 5 for iOS Now Available With Refreshed Look, Dark Mode, and GIPHY Support

2. stan1028 macrumors member

stan1028

At least it’s a free update from Tweetbot 4.

3. lexvo macrumors 65816

Hmmm, they made the dark mode pitch black. I found the dark grey of version 4 much nicer en more readable. Pity.

4. ericg301 macrumors 65816

that new icon....yuck.

and no offense to the tapbot guys, but at this point, aren't they just rearranging the deck chairs on the titantic? only reason i kept tweetbot was for streaming. once that API was killed, i haven't had a need for it.

5. AngerDanger macrumors 68040

AngerDanger

Pfft, GIPHY! :rolleyes: In my day, you made your own GIFs from nothing but silicon and electrical charges. Kids these days…

6. nutmac macrumors 68040

Wow, I frankly didn't expect the update to be free. I would've upgraded for pure dark mode alone.

7. Letterb macrumors newbie

Letterb

Gee it's a free update guys. I actually like it. The new dark mode is nice on my Xs Mac.

8. zorinlynx macrumors 603

zorinlynx

I think they realize they can't provide as much value anymore due to Twitter's API changes this made this update free for existing users in solidarity.

Paul is a great guy and his company has always created really good apps. I can see him doing that for us as a reward for our loyalty. I've paid for two upgrades already, over many years.

9. iScone macrumors 6502

iScone

Is there anything this app provides that the official one doesn’t?

10. DocMultimedia macrumors 6502

DocMultimedia

I'm still a giant fan of this app. The official Twitter app feels totally disorganized to me. Just a straight up list of tweets is all I want to see. No ads, no highly interesting tweets, etc.

Once Twitter officially kills third party apps, I'm done with it.

11. OldSchoolMacGuy macrumors 601

OldSchoolMacGuy

Nice that it's free but it's a minor change. I'd happily pay for a new version if it included something of significance. Dark-mode? That's a single API call change to make it happen. Takes no time to implement.

12. friednoodles macrumors 6502a

A sane, non-user-hostile app experience that isn't shoving "promoted tweets" and "news" that you don't want at you constantly?

13. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I was hoping they kept the dark grey as an option for LCD users as it does look much nicer and is more legible.

14. nburwell macrumors 601

nburwell

Not to mention it's ad free.

Just saw the update come through on the App Store. I'm pumped. Tweetbot is by far my favorite iOS app.

15. Soba macrumors member

Soba

I feel bad for these guys because Twitter effectively killed most of the value offered by this app. It's such a shame; Tweetbot was an amazing product when it had free rein and is what first got me using Twitter.

The official Twitter app offers a user experience that is beyond atrocious. Third parties are what made Twitter into something usable. Unsurprisingly, I seldom use Twitter now; both the app and the service are too full of stupid.

16. IowaLynn macrumors 65816

IowaLynn

Still using TweetDeck. Phone, iPad and Mac via Safari. Also mobile.twitter.com

Too many ads. IG lately is now plastered with ads.

Almost miss CompuServe even if monthly fees got to $100 didn't have to contend with a 10% ad content. Paid access apps that still admonish users about cookies and blocking ads, u thought $15/month should end that.

Us a monthly fee likely to fix it save Twitter and others serious pushed ads and fake PR?

17. Lobwedgephil macrumors 68040

Lobwedgephil

New look looks really great, very impressed with this update!

18. Lioness~ macrumors 65816

Lioness~

Free update, very nice.
    Love the 'new' darkmode too.

19. DaveOP macrumors 65816

I agree, wish there was an option. Pure black is not the nicest color to read against.

20. BradWI macrumors member

New dark mode is awful on iPad’s larger screen. Wayyyyy too much contrast. Don’t know why they wouldn’t have left old dark mode as a 3rd option. So frustrating.

21. Kuro Tanaka macrumors newbie

Kuro Tanaka

What a very menacing looking icon.

The previous icon was happy looking and carefree while the new icon looks like the bird wants to peck your eyes out.

22. powaking macrumors 6502

powaking

This new dark mode is awful especially on the iPad. I understand why they would include for the new OLED phones but there are people who still use LCD iPads/iPhones and also why not keep the old dark mode as an option? I hope they bring it back.

23. n-evo, Oct 18, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2018

n-evo macrumors 65816

n-evo

Why did they replace those cute icons?! I died a little when I saw the new icon today. It looks angry and scary.

I’m in for a night of bad dreams for sure. Thanks for that. :-(

24. lexvo macrumors 65816

Is there a way to go back to version 4? The new dark mode is too dark, too contrasty on my iPad Air 2.

25. checker2010 macrumors member

Nope. It’s still the best Twitter client on iOS (I’ve used them all and keep coming back to it).