MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

tweetbot-200x200.png
Tweetbot, a popular alternative to the Twitter app, was today updated to version 5.2 on iPhone and iPad, an update that adds trackpad support and a few other features.

With trackpad support, Tweetbot is compatible with iPad cases like the Magic Keyboard or the Folio Touch from Logitech, or standalone mice and trackpad options. Many of the trackpad features worked before, but with the update, Tweetbot supports gestures in the Tweetbot timeline and introduces pointer support for many of the icons in the app.

A two finger swipe on a tweet in the timeline to the right opens up a reply interface, while a two finger swipe to the left shows a tweet's details.

Along with trackpad support, today's Tweetbot update adds support for opening links in the Opera, Edge, and DuckDuckGo browsers, and there's now an option to open universal links in the apps that support them.

Tweetbot for iOS can be downloaded from the App Store for $4.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Tweetbot for iOS Gains Expanded Trackpad Support

Reactions: farafalil

JonDigital

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
Coral Springs, FL
I gave up on TB a long time ago when it seemed like the dev team was not interested in adding any new, creative features. Granted, I understand API limitations handcuff them but the team at Twitterrific has figured out ways to make their app stay fresh. I've been using that app happily for years now. Respect to the Tapbots team.

Comment

samir4021

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2016
Twitter really limited 3rd party apps from bringing in new features. Streaming was the best part of using Tweetbot. Now I just switch back and forth between the 2

Comment

techpr

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2008
San Juan, PR
I don't disagree on these points but Twitter clients are really a dead end product because of all the limitations that Twitter puts on these 3rd party apps.
I gave up on TB a long time ago when it seemed like the dev team was not interested in adding any new, creative features. Granted, I understand API limitations handcuff them but the team at Twitterrific has figured out ways to make their app stay fresh. I've been using that app happily for years now. Respect to the Tapbots team.
Twitter really limited 3rd party apps from bringing in new features. Streaming was the best part of using Tweetbot. Now I just switch back and forth between the 2

Reactions: nutmac
Comment

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
While I love Tweetbot, Twitter is doing Tapbots and others a disservice by not improving third party API. Namely, I am finding myself not enjoying full chronological timeline anymore. I prefer more machine curated recommended feed of official Twitter's app. At the same time, the official Twitter app is just not enjoyable to use.

So in the end, both Tweetbot and Twitter are gone from my main iPhone home page, into a nether land that is the App Library.

Comment

chrfr

macrumors G4
Jul 11, 2009
I don't think we can expect that developers would have released new app features based on an incomplete API that was announced a month ago but wasn't actually available at that time.
3rd party apps also have a 100,000 user limit, unless they already had more users. It's not clear if the new API changes that, but if a product I was developing had no chance for growth, how much time would I be able to reasonably put into that product?

Comment

newyorksole

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Been using TweetBot since the beginning, but yeah like others have said, now I switch between TweetBot and Twitter depending on what I want to see.

Comment

Bustycat

macrumors 6502a
Jan 21, 2015
Kaohsiung, Taiwan
Tweetbot is more limited recently. If you often download images, you will find that the maximum width and height are limited to 2048 pixels. Uploading images is also shrunk more from Tweetbot.

Comment

BeatCrazy

macrumors 68030
Jul 20, 2011
Thank goodness! This was so frustrating, as I've moved to using my iPad Pros with Magic Keyboards almost exclusively for couch surfing.

Comment

xWvaADmkJU4n

macrumors newbie
May 1, 2020
a still using it, but I really want better handling of images and video in iOS. Are controls too much to ask for? Nothing to do with twitter.

Comment

Puonti

macrumors 65816
Mar 14, 2011
I for one am super glad to get fully-baked trackpad support! Don't forget to tip the team.

Comment

freediverx00

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2020

What essential features does Twitterific have over Tweetbot? I tried both years ago and decided I preferred Tweetbot's UI.

Comment

Lowhangers

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2017
The best thing to do is delete your Twitter account (as well as Facebook, LinkedIn and all other social media) and not look back. Social media is life-stealing, time-wasting trash.

Comment

TracesOfArsenic

macrumors 6502a
Feb 22, 2018
I still really respect the Tapbots team for what they've done historically for iOS development, but man it really feels like they've been phoning it in the last few years.
Couldn't agree more. Tweetbot is without a doubt my fav client but man is it stale AF.

Comment

Smoothie

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
California
I much prefer Tweetbot to the official Twitter app. A few months ago, I emailed Tapbots about a bug I'd found in Tweetbot for iOS. They responded a week later and said they were working on bug fixes. However, the number of updates has really dwindled and I thought that Tapbots had given up on Tweetbot. I'm glad to see that they're still supporting it. And the bug I'd found was fixed in this update.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.