Tweetie for Mac out

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by soloer, Apr 20, 2009.

1. soloer macrumors 6502a

soloer

2. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

Meh. I'll stick with Nambu until I read that Tweetie consumes less memory.

Me wonders how many Twitter clients we actually need... ?

3. reubs macrumors 68000

For me TwitterFox does what I need. I just wish it updated so that when I got home I didn't have 20 unread tweets (I know; not that many) since I had gotten them all during the day at work.

With TF I can post, reply, and retweet w/o ever leaving the browser, and it's pretty nice.

4. synagence macrumors 6502a

As much as i don't really wanna pay $15 i will probably do so since i hate ad-supported apps and don't like air apps on mac cos of the lack of font smoothing

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

looks like a good and clean interface, i'll give it a try. thanks for the heads up.

6. glasserp macrumors regular

Giving this a try now. Looks nice, but I have a question. What's with the completely pointless icon in the menubar? All that it does it take me to the app and then hide it after clicking it a second time. There's no way to disable the icon and no drop-down menu when you click it...

Unless I'm missing something.

7. yoppie macrumors 6502a

Not much but it also turns blue if there are new tweets. :eek:

8. minik macrumors 65816

I don't see the big deal of Tweetie on both iPhone/iPod touch and Mac.

Iconfactory's Twitterrific works way better and it doesn't take a lot of screen real estate.

IMHO, the Tweetie icon is out of place.

9. glasserp macrumors regular

haha well it's definitely better than bluebird and maybe tweetdek. i like it.

10. jashsayani macrumors regular

jashsayani

I have been a Twitterific user (Mac and iPhone), but the hype for Tweetie Mac made me try it out... And its impressive!!

However, there are some great improvements/features needed..

Here's my Hands-on review: http://tinyurl.com/tweetie-mac-ho

11. MAC-PRO-DEMON macrumors 6502a

MAC-PRO-DEMON

I have gone back to Bluebird, which I went to over the Payed Version of Twitteriffic...

Saying this... the original version (Now Updated) didn't send passwords via HTTPS :O So you password isn't sent in the clear :eek:

That is a reason why I changed back so quickly... I will probhably check it out in a month or so...

Anyhows... Smoking Apples Blog posted this review
    Smoking Apple Blog Tweetie Review

12. minik macrumors 65816

Version 1.0.1 seems to add SSL authentication.

13. Manic Mouse macrumors 6502a

Manic Mouse

Twitterific is slow, clumsy and honestly a bit crappy compared to this. Dedicated tweet window (with a global shortcut!) alone makes this miles better. Automatic url shortening, image adding. In-app image viewing. It also looks nicer and runs faster.

Tweetie on the iPhone and now the Mac are fast, lean and fully featured. They're also made in such a way as to make tweeting easier and faster. Of course they're also beautiful. Thank you Loren for great apps, you can happily have my $20 for both.

Well Tweetie definitely starts faster than Nambu...

14. Diaresi macrumors regular

This is why I will now be using it :)

15. minik macrumors 65816

Twitterific 3.2 did a fine job for me. I really like the small footprint, no icon on the Dock, transparent UI. If you look at that particular app, shortcut is unnecessary. Personally, I started to dislike any shorten URL service on the web. It discourages me to click on it unless there is an expand button. Imaging add-in is a nice feature, but I rarely use it on a desktop situation.

Just now, I begin to use Bluebird app.

In the past, I kept going back to Twitterific after the frustration with TweetDeck.

On the iPhone, I use TwitterFon.

16. Compile 'em all macrumors 601

Compile 'em all

You are quite possibly the only person that I know of that thinks tweetie on the iPhone is not a big deal. Tweetie came out at a time when there were no less than 5 apps out there both free and paid, and it utterly crushed all of them due to it being FAST and ELEGANT. And it looks like tweetie for the mac will be doing the same.

17. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

Disappointing. And I'm supposed to pay for it? :(

TweetDeck does what I want, for free.

18. minik macrumors 65816

okay, okay. I think I use Twitter a different way. I didn't know Tweetie until I read about it from people who I followed. From time to time, I stick with texting and Hahlo.com.

I will read more about Tweetie on both iPhone and desktop Mac and re-evaluate them. :)

19. efice32 macrumors 6502

You don't have to pay for it. You just have to deal with some very sporadic and unobtrusive ads if you don't. Plus TweetDeck's Adobe Air framework makes it a HUGE resource hog. Tweetie is native Cocoa so it uses much less computing power to accomplish the same task.

20. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

21. synagence macrumors 6502a

No one is saying you HAVE to use it ... thats why there are many different apps with differing levels of functionality and price...

I prefer the sleek and polished feel of tweetie mac and don't generally like Air apps for their lack of smooth appearance but if you like tweetdeck then good

22. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

You're right Tweet Deck is quite unattractive. Tweetie is growing on me. :)

Edit: Just purchased a license. (-:

23. heyp macrumors 6502

24. Blindfutur3 macrumors member

Blindfutur3

Tweetie gives you the option to view an expanded version of the shortened URL before navigating to that page.

25. Randman macrumors 65816

Randman

It's a small touch but I like that you can close the window then click on the menubar icon when it turns blue to see updates.

Only quibble is that I wish it would sync with the iPhone version.