Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Azeroth1

macrumors 6502
Apr 20, 2010
I like the look and function of the MacBook stand. I’m confused by the iPad stand though from a usability perspective.

artfossil

macrumors 68000
Oct 5, 2015
Florida
There's only one stand for me, and that's the Elevation Lab Draft Table. Unfortunately it isn't made anymore, which is a shame because it's built like a tank, works equally well in landscape and portrait, and is rock solid. I use the 16 degree setting for drawing.

Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 1.03.52 PM.png
`
Screen Shot 2021-01-19 at 1.03.52 PM.png

MevetS

Cancelled
Dec 27, 2018
There's only one stand for me, and that's the Elevation Lab Draft Table. Unfortunately it isn't made anymore, which is a shame because it's built like a tank, works equally well in landscape and portrait, and is rock solid. I use the 16 degree setting for drawing.`

I too have and am quite happy with this stand.

Reactions: artfossil

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Anyone know of a good product like this but that sits in a lap better? Tired of my 16" roasting my nuts and I'm probably not upgrading until at least the second generation Apple Silicon 16". I've got a flat lap pad now but even it gets hot after a while. Would prefer something that's not cheap plastic crap either, but willing to accept a high quality plastic design. Thanks.

Grohowiak

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2012
LOL. What do you think happened to the first one ;) I will say tho, that isn't a long-term strategy. If you don't support companies that create and innovate - there won't be anyone *to* copy eventually...

It's a bent aluminum or whatever they use.
That's not innovation.

not to mention anybody with an iPad pro will use applecare soon after cause the BEND will happen quickly.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
How does this even make the news section of the forum.
Seriously, a stand?

Don't get me wrong, I do like the design, but everything by Twelve South is ridiculously overpriced.

Tagbert

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2011
Seattle
What is ergonomic about tilting a keyboard like that? That puts too much stress on your wrists at a bad angle. You are just asking for carpel tunnel issues like that. I can see some benefit if you are only using the laptop monitor and wnat to raise the screen while using an external keyboard but that just makes it more complex.

Joniz

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2017

Fred the Head

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2019
I wouldn't say it's completely pointless, as it would be good to type on-screen with (for those who prefer typing on-screen for some reason), making it similar to the previous iPad Smart Covers, but that's a pretty limited use case. This isn't TwelveSouth's fault that the iPads happen to warp, after all the original ParcSlope was fantastic with the iPad Pro 2nd gen and I used it all the time for drawing, but then my dumbass used it when I replaced it with the 3rd gen and welp. My iPad Pro 3rd gen USED to be straight, because I bought two of them (one for myself and my husband), and I remember holding them together and they were both perfectly straight, but now one of them is quite noticeably warped while the other is still straight. :/
No, not completely pointless...just mostly pointless.

Reactions: Ifti

UBS28

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2012
Too cheap. A MacBook Pro and an iPad Pro stand combined should be 2 x $999.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.