Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

bookbook1.jpg
Twelve South has launched its popular BookBook iPhone wallet case for the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus.

Because the new iPhones are larger than Apple's older smartphones, the company has added several new features to the case, in addition to the credit card and ID slots in the older versions.

Now, the iPhone snaps into a soft-touch shell inside the case. The shell can be quickly removed from the wallet portion to make it easier to pop the iPhone into a desktop charging stand or dashboard clip. The company also suggests this might make it easier for parents to give their iPhone to their kids without handing over their whole wallet.

The BookBook can also prop the phone up at an angle to use as a hands-free viewing stand, a useful improvement.

bookbookshell.jpg
BookBook for iPhone 6/6 Plus is an all-new wallet case, hands-free stand and removable shell - wrapped up in one gorgeous, vintage leather book. BookBook has pockets to hold your ID, cards and cash. It now folds into a display stand for hands-free FaceTime chats and watching videos. And one more thing: BookBook features a removable soft-touch shell to protect your iPhone 6 or 6 Plus in or out of BookBook. Whatever your needs, this feature-packed case has you covered.
Available for $60 in black or brown leather, the new case is currently only available through the Twelve South website and in relatively limited quantities.

Article Link: Twelve South Launches BookBook Wallet Case for iPhone 6 and 6 Plus

DipDog3

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2002
Just never cared to have all of my credit cards, driver's license & cash out for everyone to see when I am using my phone.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I frankly don't understand the appeal of this case. The case looks kinda cool but it provides very little protection while adding considerable bulk. Why not just carry the wallet and phone separately?

Sunday Ironfoot

macrumors regular
Apr 14, 2011
Just never cared to have all of my credit cards, driver's license & cash out for everyone to see when I am using my phone.

Your credit cards get tucked away & hidden in slots, they're not exposed to the outside world for all to see. Only a card that you use as ID is exposed.

----------

I frankly don't understand the appeal of this case. The case looks kinda cool but it provides very little protection while adding considerable bulk. Why not just carry the wallet and phone separately?

Convenience. I only have to grab/remember two things when I leave the house: keys, and my iPhone/wallet.

5 years ago when leaving the house, I had to remember keys, my MP3 player, my mobile phone, my wallet, possibly my digital camera, possibly a USB flash drive.

MP3 player, phone and camera eventually merged into one device. Now wallet and smartphone are one thing with this BookBook thing. Eventually wallets will disappear thanks to things like Apple Pay (and probably keys too).

It's the super-unification of things in your pocket. :D

iGobbleoff

macrumors 6502
May 2, 2011
Looks awesome, BUT, where can I get the exact same without the drivers Licence window? I'd rather have more CC slots

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA

I cannot fit both a wallet and a phone in my pocket. That's my excuse. I like that I'm not having to drag around a purse either. I just take off my Incipio Feather, and then stick the iPhone into the wallet case, and then go out the door.

Some of us don't have a case for the protection, we just want it to be easier to grip.

I like that they now have an actual case that you can pull on and off the book. That was a smart move.

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
Bundling your purchase with the Twelve South Remote Wipe app adds "auto destruct: fire" to iPhone's current security package. Now you can set iPhone to wipe its memory and settings while also conveniently torching the credit cards and drivers license someone just stole.

My wife used to have one of these sorts of cases and absolutely loved it, but I have to admit I am nervous about how easily EVERYTHING could get out my immediate control.

Ronm01

macrumors newbie
Dec 31, 2013
Crybabies wait with bated breath to whine about anything posted on this site that is Apple related.

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
Losing all your stuff at once just got easier.

Funny to see this case come out after apple pay claimed to make credit cards obsolete and on the same day MR ran a story about Iowa's upcoming smartphone-based ID system. Seems like everything is going into one device one way or the other. The only question is whether you trust Apple's security features or want the "convenience/feel/security/familiarity/______" of the analog options.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008

Never had that happen. I've had a BookBook for my 4S ever since it came out. That combined with my bluetooth earpiece rarely sees my BookBook come out of my pocket, unless I'm paying for something. And even then they aren't in plain sight, as the CCs are covered, and the window only shows my Picture, name, and address from my driver's license.

BookBook also goes into my front pocket, so to get to it, someone would hav eto come directly at me.. Not going to happen.

Again, never had that happen. And if you are susceptible to losing things, you have bigger issues to deal with than a phone case that doubles as a wallet.

BL.

A MacBook lover

Suspended
May 22, 2009
D.C.
I used to have one of these cases and thought it was sufficient for protection.

One day it fell half a meter and it shattered my whole phone. It was folded closed and it didn't even touch the glass on impact. It was a 5s and it hit the corner metal band which stressed the glass enough to shatter.

Would totally get this case if it had all sides covered, but looks like the top and part of the corner is exposed. No go for me.

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
Hey! Isn't the iPhone 6 supposed to replace credit cards with Apple Pay? And I'm just reading that Iowa will let you store your license in a phone app. So I guess this entire wallet thing is a bit 20th century. Money grab plain and simple. Nobody needs this. Phones are magnets for theft, and now that you have your license, money and credit cards, you just make it even more a big red target. I'll pass.

BillyTrimble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2013

And keeping it all together just got easier.

I guess that if you use a wallet, you actually have four wallets, which you shove into four of your pockets, into which you separate the contents that most of us put in one wallet so that, being someone who tends to lose things, you are more likely to lose only 1/4 of your contents, unless of course you get lost in the desert in which case all is lost anyway.

Is whining about anything and everything the national sport on these forums? Will it be an Olympic event at some point in the future?

Makosuke

macrumors 604
Aug 15, 2001
The Cool Part of CA, USA
First thing I did when my 6 arrived was start looking for a wallet case, since I figured it was one less thing to stick in my jacket pocket or forget at home. BookBook looked like the best option, except for not existing, so I've been using a cheapie no-name wallet case to see if it worked for me and wait to see if BookBook was going to be better than the alternatives.

Long story short, I ordered one as soon as the announcement email arrived this morning. Looks to have the best features of just about every wallet case I've seen, plus one (the removable phone part) that none do. Hopefully it's as nice in person.

I don't know, I've never lost either my wallet or my phone, but it's somewhat comforting now that if I do lose my wallet I can use GPS to find out exactly where it is.

Heck, if I were out and about and realized that my wallet wasn't in my pocket but couldn't remember if I left the house with it, using my wife's phone to Find My Phone it and find out where, in fact, it is could save a modicum of panic (or wasted time going home when it turns out I really did leave it at the store).

AgentApple

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2010
i have something similar to this one for my 6+ but I don't use it. The problem is while using the camera you have to constantly maneuver the cover so that it's not blocking the camera. Can't just fold it back because the camera gets covered. This makes one-handed camera usage pretty hard unless you're good at shuffling poker cards with one hand

MacinJosh

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2006
Finland
Anyone know what the car mount thingy is that they show in the video and pictures?

Edit: Couldn't help myself. I ordered the case.

Last edited:

JeffyTheQuik

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2014
Charleston, SC and Everett, WA

With "Find my iPhone", finding it did too.

Several times, Mrs. Thequik and I have used the "play tone" and easily found all of our things.

It's kind of nice to have them all together.

----------

And keeping it all together just got easier.

I guess that if you use a wallet, you actually have four wallets, which you shove into four of your pockets, into which you separate the contents that most of us put in one wallet so that, being someone who tends to lose things, you are more likely to lose only 1/4 of your contents, unless of course you get lost in the desert in which case all is lost anyway.

Is whining about anything and everything the national sport on these forums? Will it be an Olympic event at some point in the future?

I think you may be up for the gold medal. :eek:

heimo

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2010
I want a fanny pack for my iPhone 6 plus. With hole for camera. How uncool is that!

capuzino

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2013
Finland
Was looking forward for this case, and while it still looks pretty amazing it's just too thick (20mm). And why they leave the top edge of iPhone 6 open like many other? Can't see a reason for that.

But as they say, don't judge before you see it yourself.

It's a BookBook!

I never thought that I'd be able to reference this on here!

When I saw that commercial the first time I thought that it would be extremely fun to see Twelve South ask Ikea to take the commercial down because they stole their product's name. Twelve South's BookBook was first introduced for iPhone 4, you see.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.