Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Twelve South today announced the "HiRise 3" stand charger for iPhone, Apple Watch, and AirPods, priced at $99.99. The stand supports MagSafe-compatible charging and holds an iPhone 12 or later vertically, and also includes a charging puck for Apple Watch and a Qi charging mat on the base that supports AirPods or any Qi-compatible smartphone.

12S_HiRise3_LS15_HiRes.jpg

The HiRise 3 is available in black and white color options and requires a 20W USB-C power adapter, which is not included. Twelve South noted that the HiRise 3 has a minimal footprint and was designed to declutter bedside tables and desks, while propping up your iPhone to easily read incoming notifications.

12S_HiRise3_LS8.5_BeforeAfter_HiRes.jpg

In regards to charging, the HiRise 3 does not include an official MFi MagSafe charging puck or 15W wireless charging. Instead, it has a magnetic Qi stand with 7.5W wireless charging, as well as 3W for the Apple Watch charger and 5W for the charger on the base.

The HiRise 3 can be purchased today from Twelve South's website and from Amazon for $99.99.

Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Twelve South and Amazon. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

Article Link: Twelve South Launches New 'HiRise 3' Charger for iPhone, Apple Watch, and AirPods

GermanSuplex

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2009
I bought a more basic type off Amazon that just uses BYO cables, and has a wireless stand for the iPhone. Worth the savings. And like others mentioned, I can see the Apple Watch in nightstand mode.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zorori

smaffei

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2003
I bought a more basic type of Amazon that just uses the official charges, and has a wireless stand for the iPhone. Worth the savings. And like others mentioned, I can see the Apple Watch in nightstand mode.
What was the make / model you bought?

diego.caraballo

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2013
One thing that I don't get is why all MagSafe chargers are so high.
We went to have the iPhone in a more natural position (for a person using it on a desk or in a night stand)
to a "floating" elevated position that it doesn't makes sense to me.

Screen Shot 2022-06-21 at 10.42.55.png
webdam.web.1000.1000.jpeg

Last edited:

Theydonboi

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2011
I’d be willing to overlook the lack of MfI bells and whistles for something in this form factor that was foldable and useful for travelling.

Reactions: Agile55

jimothyGator

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Costco sells the Belkin Boost Charge Pro 3-in-1 for the same price; other places sell it for $150, but it's $100 for Costco members currently. Costco only sells it in white.

Advantages of the Belkin over this Twelve South product:

• 15W MagSafe charging
  • Power supply included
  • Apple Watch charger is on the side of the iPhone charger, instead of behind it.
  • Indentation for AirPods case makes it easier to align properly.
  • Round MagSafe makes it easy to mount phone in portrait or landscape mode; maybe the Twelve South does this, too, but it seems optimized for portrait.
I suppose the Twelve South has these advantages:

• Uses USB C, so you don't get yet another power brick if you already have a USB C charger.
  • Flat wireless charging base accommodates more devices, not just AirPods.
  • More compact design by putting the watch behind the phone.
  • Larger magnetic surface may hold phone better if your case has weak/no MagSafe magnets. I have had zero problems with my Mous Limitless 4.0 case on an iPhone 12 Pro, however.
I got two Belkin chargers last week for my wife and me. So far, we like them a lot. $150 would be a lot to pay, but $100 at Costco is pretty reasonable if you add up the cost of three separate chargers for iPhone, Apple Watch, and AirPods.

MacFan23

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2010
Costco sells the Belkin Boost Charge Pro 3-in-1 for the same price; other places sell it for $150, but it's $100 for Costco members currently. Costco only sells it in white.

• 15W MagSafe charging
  • Power supply included
  • Apple Watch charger is on the side of the iPhone charger, instead of behind it.
  • Round MagSafe makes it easy to mount phone in portrait or landscape mode; maybe the Twelve South does this, too, but it seems optimized for portrait.

• Uses USB C, so you don't get yet another power brick if you already have a USB C charger.
  • Larger magnetic surface may hold phone better if your case has weak/no MagSafe magnets. I have had zero problems with my Mous Limitless 4.0 case on an iPhone 12 Pro, however.
I got two Belkin chargers last week for my wife and me. So far, we like them a lot. $150 would be a lot to pay, but $100 at Costco is pretty reasonable if you add up the cost of three separate chargers for iPhone, Apple Watch, and AirPods.
I've got 2 of the 3 in 1s in my bedroom and a 2-in-1 in the Office. I went for the 2-in-1 for the office simply to save desk space as the Apple Watch arm would bump into my mic arm.

I really enjoyed the OG HiRise and the watch version and in fact still use the OG HiRise today to charge my iPad mini and magic trackpad. I'd definitely consider something like this just for the smaller footprint when compared to the Belkin and the versatility to be able to unplug the USB-C cable, charge something else and then plug it back in to the HiRise when I was done. It's just a bummer it doesn't come with MagSafe or this would've been an instant buy from me.

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
I appreciate the design but find I can never get behind products like this as standards change too often and then you are left with a hunk of useless junk. Ex: Apple will at one point of another change the charging surface of the watch or airpods rendering portions of this item useless.

EmotionalSnow

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2019
Linz, Austria
So who copied who?!

I can't say for sure but it looks like both companies sell a very similar product. Therefore my guess is that they didn't copy from each other but instead sell a product manufactured in China by the same company under their own name.

GermanSuplex

macrumors 65816
Aug 26, 2009
What was the make / model you bought?

It was this:

Currently unavailable, but there's many similar types. Had it for almost three years and it works great. As I mentioned, you have to use your own cables for the watch and AirPods charger, but they work. Bonus - I can also use the airpods charger as a charging stand for my Apple TV remote.

I just can't justify $100 for a stand, even with the charging stuff built-in.

xfusejc

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2006

• 15W MagSafe charging
  • Power supply included

Thanks for the heads up! Been looking into this charger for a while now but hadn't seen it at a discount. Will be picking one up at Costco during my lunch break.

Reactions: Think|Different

jaytv111

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2007
One thing that I don't get is why all MagSaFe chargers are so high.
We went to have the iPhone in a more natural position (for a person using it on a desk or in a night stand)
to a "floating" elevated position that it doesn't makes sense to me.

View attachment 2021830 View attachment 2021834
Probably to better fit all sizes of iPhones with Magsafe. The Pro Max iPhones would probably not align up very well if the iPhone Mini aligned very well. I think this is why Belkin also switched to a flat position on the latest 3 in 1.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.