Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Twelve South today launched the PowerPic Mod Wireless Charger ($59.99), which is a Qi-enabled charging stand that doubles as a picture frame. Unlike the previous model, the new device is made of a magnetic lucite frame, which detaches to fit any 4x6 photo.

powerpic-mod.jpg

The frame can be positioned vertically or horizontally, and it will require a 20W USB-C power adapter, which is not included. The accessory can charge any smartphone that supports Qi charging, as well as devices like the AirPods Pro.

Similar to the previous model, the idea behind the PowerPic Mod is to hide a wireless charger within an unassuming piece of home decor. Twelve South says that the device works well on desks, bedside tables, and in kitchens.

The PowerPic Mod will charge at 7.5W max speed for Apple devices. You can get the PowerPic Mod in White or Black today on Twelve South's website for $59.99.

Note: MacRumors is an affiliate partner with Twelve South. When you click a link and make a purchase, we may receive a small payment, which helps us keep the site running.

Article Link: Twelve South Launches New 'PowerPic Mod' Wireless Charging Picture Frame

Last edited:

axantas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2015
Home
This is a weird product, while using it, you can't see the picture. Unless you make the background of your phone the same image as the framed image, which might look cool, until it turns off.
... but it is a somewhat interesting product, as it is just a picture frame, if you are not using it. Kind of the same like the picture frame TV from Samsung.

Last edited:

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
This is a weird product, while using it, you can't see the picture. Unless you make the background of your phone the same image as the framed image, which might look cool, until it turns off.

It's so when you are not charging your phone it doesn't look like you have a phone charger on your nightstand. I like the concept as I have an ugly wireless charger on my nightstand, might pick one up. The 7.5w kind of sucks, but I suppose that's Apple's fault.

gaximus

macrumors 68000
Oct 11, 2011
It's so when you are not charging your phone it doesn't look like you have a phone charger on your nightstand. I like the concept as I have an ugly wireless charger on my nightstand, might pick one up. The 7.5w kind of sucks, but I suppose that's Apple's fault.
agreed

Reactions: spinedoc77

BF1M

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2018
Twelve South innovation seems to be lacking lately. How many more chargers are they going to design?

• Love
Reactions: Morgenland

Analog Kid

macrumors 603
Mar 4, 2003
It's a clever idea, I'll give them that. Not sure it's what I'd want, but I can imagine that someone is going to figure out how to refine this into something useful.

You can focus on how you don't see the picture while charging, or you can focus on the fact that most wireless chargers take up needless space for the larger part of the day they aren't being used.

trip1ex

macrumors 68020
Jan 10, 2008
it's bad feng shui.

slothinker

macrumors member
Nov 28, 2012
Personally I prefer clear plexiglas to opaque black plastic. Innovative. I'll probably buy one.

Cameront9

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2006
Honestly I'd probably use it without a picture, But the video they have on their website shows a good use: A graphic on it for a cafe that has a qr code to scan for the menu. Scan it, order something (presumably on your phone), plop the phone down to charge.

jbc25

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2007
As a charging stand with no image it looks fine, as a digital photo frame it looks fine, but it makes NO SENSE to me to combine these products like this. That first product shot with the airpod case obscuring the photo looks absolutely ridiculous.

Reactions: artfossil

Bromeo

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2015
Near Seattle
I have their previous version which does look like an unassuming black photo frame you might find at IKEA. It looks much nicer on my nightstand than a typical charging pad or just regular cable clutter. "Easel style" Qi charging stands work great for phones: you just set the phone in the frame and the only alignment you need to achieve is roughly centered left-to-right.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.