Twelve South Launches Portable 'BaseLift' Support Stand for Mac Notebooks

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 18, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Twelve South today revealed the BaseLift for MacBook, a "super-thin, microfiber-layered pad" that attaches to the bottom of any MacBook and can instantly fold up, similar to an iPad Smart Cover, to provide an elevated screen and angled keyboard to users on either a MacBook Air or MacBook Pro. Once attached, BaseLift for MacBook stays connected to the MacBook, and is thin enough to fit into "most bags and laptop cases" along with a user's computer.

[​IMG]
    BaseLift aims to be more than a MacBook stand, with Twelve South claiming that the device acts as a buffer between the initial chilliness of a MacBook and even the heat given off when heavily using the device.

The BaseLift fits any current model of the MacBook Air and MacBook Pro, with the default BaseLift Pad aimed at the 11" MacBook Air and a few optional "Fit Strip" accessories included for users on 13" and 15" models. The company promises that the adhesive SurfaceGrip technology used to attach the accessory to a MacBook won't leave a sticky residue if a user ever chooses to remove the BaseLift Pad from the device.

The BaseLift for MacBook can be purchased right now from Twelve South's official website for $39.99, and is available in a red-black option. Although the new MacBook is not directly mentioned, the dimensions of the BaseLift suggest the product could be used on Apple's just-announced ultra-thin MacBook.

Article Link: Twelve South Launches Portable 'BaseLift' Support Stand for Mac Notebooks

2. topmounter macrumors 68020

topmounter

Good on them, this looks to be a more socially acceptable method of elevating my MBA while it is sitting on my lap.

3. avanpelt macrumors 68030

$40 for this? Wow. My ingenious wife accomplished the same thing by using two doorstops under her MacBook Pro. Cost? About $7.00 for both of them.

4. fenderbass146 macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

Id like to see her do that in a starbucks or airport lol...expensive yes, smart also yes. Portable and practical, yes

5. spyguy10709 macrumors 6502a

spyguy10709

As usual with twelvesouth, great product, looks really well executed and with high enough quality - but the price is ridiculous.

6. macness macrumors 6502a

macness

I wonder what kind of glue they used to attatch those iPad smart covers on there..

7. dwman macrumors 6502

dwman

Isn't that essentially a magnetic ipad cover stuck to the bottom of a MB Air?

8. iPhysicist macrumors 65816

iPhysicist

Adds at least 3 mm to your MacBooks Overall height, yes. The similiarities to a Smartcover are screaming.

9. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

10. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

11. robaroo macrumors regular

Meh

It looks like an iPad cover glued to the bottom of a laptop. Also, $40 sounds a bit steep.

12. fenderbass146 macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

So? And yes that's quite obvious.

13. FieldingMellish Suspended

Someone will lay the Mac on a place mat and claim it's a good invention.

14. iPhysicist macrumors 65816

iPhysicist

This one is unuseable for MacBooks of any kind. The front lip is was to high unfortunately.

----------

You can see it in the video when the women packs it in the bag.

15. HarryKeogh macrumors 6502a

Two issues of Hustler The Economist placed under the far side accomplish the same thing.

16. satchmo macrumors 68020

Space saving idea, but at a too high of a cost.

If you're already carrying a 3-ring binder in your backpack, you can use it to prop up your Macbook and achieve the same result.

17. brinary001 macrumors 6502a

brinary001

If the "initial chilliness" is a legitimate struggle for you, then you have a MAJOR case of the first world problems.

18. Mike Oxard macrumors 6502a

Mike Oxard

The design and build quality of the 12 South Compass iPad stand was dreadful, a wobbly piece of crap. Hope this is better.

19. Cmd-Z macrumors 6502

Cmd-Z

[​IMG]

Problem solved, and you'd look so cool with this on your lap under your Mac.

20. kristoffer4 macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4

Why would you prop up your mac? Is it it easier to type on that way?

21. 2457282 Suspended

I thought the exact same thing. moving on now.

22. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

Came here to say "So they glued an Apple Smart Cover to the bottom of a MacBook?" and wasn't disappointed to see everyone else say pretty much the same thing.

It's too bad they couldn't do this without making it more aesthetically pleasing. I kind of want to buy this older-generation gray Smart Cover on Amazon for $10 and see if I can somehow attach it (3M strips that are cleanly removable?) to the bottom of my MacBook: amazon.com/Apple-iPad-Smart-Cover-Light/dp/B0060GF0WG/

23. AlecZ macrumors 65816

AlecZ

A MacBook doesn't give off enough heat for this thing to be necessary as an external heatsink. The last time I was uncomfortable with a MacBook on my lap was with the original 17" MacBook Pro.

24. brucebrendon macrumors regular

i'd rather when not in use it rolled over the top for extra protection for the lid and spine too

25. MacGizmo macrumors 65816

MacGizmo

I absolutely love Twelve South, but you're a complete fool if you waste money on this thing.

I just looked in and on my desk and found 9 items that would effectively do the same thing... for free.