Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
okay, before i start, a little background:

i got into the Eragon series and loved it. (already a star wars and lotr fan)

i was looking for something else to read, and my sister got me to read the harry potter books, and i loved them.

so then, someone mentioned that i should try out the twilight books. they told me that they were in the same category and everything, so i finally broke down and got the first one. it was too much of a love story for me, but it was still pretty good, and i like vampire movies, so i ended up reading all 4 books.

now, i saw the eragon movie after reading the books, and it was horrible. i had seen a few of the harry potter's before reading the books, but after i noticed how much they left out, but they were still pretty good movies.

so i ask, is the twilight movie worth seeing? i'm sure it will leave out some stuff, but for those that have read the books, what did you think?

Kardashian

macrumors 68020
Sep 4, 2005
Britain.
It's one of those movies that if you don't see, you're going to be left out.

I must admit, I didn't *want* to see it. Me and a friend watched it on Sidereel, which I never, ever normally do.

We hated it, and found it quite laughable.

But tonight, I watched it on BluRay and I must say, I enjoyed it. It is very sappy in parts, but I think its laying a lot of ground work for the next 2/3 (?) movies.

I haven't read the books, FYI.

I did have an interest as when I was about 14/15 I really liked the Buffy and Angel series'.

It is about vampires - its about vampires in love.

Do with that what you will.

Lurchdubious

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2008
Texas
My wife was into it, so I read all the books as well. We watched the movie soon after it came out. It is a typical low-budget movie. It would be fun to see what they do with it if they had a few hundred million bucks to throw around. Maybe by #3 or 4 they'll have a huge budget & do better.

If you like seeing movies after reading the books, if only to see how your imagination measures up to the filmmaker's, go see it.

ravenvii

macrumors 604
Mar 17, 2004
Melenkurion Skyweir
How can you take it even semi-seriously when the werewolf pedophile was thrown in?

I know half-humans mature quicker than normal people, but still!

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
If you're in high school?
My little sister dragged me along to see it but I gave up and played my DS on mute.

lol, that bad?

How can you take it even semi-seriously when the werewolf pedophile was thrown in?

I know half-humans mature quicker than normal people, but still!

true. but it's not that bad. of course, i like underworld much better

Frisco

macrumors 68020
Sep 24, 2002
Utopia
I seriously doubt you will like it, but if you have some free time then you (and me) may be surprised. That said it didn't do anything for me, but I can be picky.

andreab35

macrumors 6502a
May 29, 2008
USA
I went to go see the movie with my friend a couple of days after the movie came out in theaters.

I thought it was pretty good! I love the Twilight series. I have to get a move on and start reading the third and fourth book though! I've had so much to do I haven't had time.

But with the scene with James being killed, Bella being bitten, etc. I could not take it. I hate blood and gory things like that. My head was in the arm of my friend and all she did was laugh.

brad.c

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2004
50.813669°, -2.474796°
I've seen it dismissed as a chick flick for screaming preteen girls, which I found unfairly limiting.

It's a chick flick for women of all ages.

My wife (and mother of my children) and her friends are all ga ga over the book series, and the movie as well. I started the first book, and gave up on it. The movie was okay, but what I found funny is how it was promoted primarily as an action movie in order to get the boyfriends to fill some seats too.

That said, I did read and enjoy The Host by the same author. Alien/apocalyptic humans fighting back theme.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
I seriously doubt you will like it, but if you have some free time then you (and me) may be surprised. That said it didn't do anything for me, but I can be picky.

haha, you are probably right. but since i read the books, i might rent it one day, just for kicks

I went to go see the movie with my friend a couple of days after the movie came out in theaters.

I thought it was pretty good! I love the Twilight series. I have to get a move on and start reading the third and fourth book though! I've had so much to do I haven't had time.

But with the scene with James being killed, Bella being bitten, etc. I could not take it. I hate blood and gory things like that. My head was in the arm of my friend and all she did was laugh.

thanks for the reply. maybe there is hope that i might like it

I've seen it dismissed as a chick flick for screaming preteen girls, which I found unfairly limiting.

It's a chick flick for women of all ages.

My wife (and mother of my children) and her friends are all ga ga over the book series, and the movie as well. I started the first book, and gave up on it. The movie was okay, but what I found funny is how it was promoted primarily as an action movie in order to get the boyfriends to fill some seats too.

That said, I did read and enjoy The Host by the same author. Alien/apocalyptic humans fighting back theme.

haha. yeah.

kellen

macrumors 68020
Aug 11, 2006
Seattle, WA
GF just rented it and I half watched it while on my MBP.

I thought it was cheesy with a lot of holes in the plot. It wasn't a bad movie, but I wouldn't watch it again.

Seemed like a movie for teenage girls about to enter high school.

twoodcc

macrumors P6
Original poster
Feb 3, 2005
Right side of wrong
GF just rented it and I half watched it while on my MBP.

I thought it was cheesy with a lot of holes in the plot. It wasn't a bad movie, but I wouldn't watch it again.

Seemed like a movie for teenage girls about to enter high school.

that's what i thought. it's just since i've read the books, it might seem a hair better to me

Can somebody post up a Link to the trailer of this Movie, please?
I can't seem to find it, at all...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uxjNDE2fMjI

is it that hard to search?

Apple iKid

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2009
Colorado
Meh... I thought the movie was good, but I hadnt read any books at the time.

Friends who have read book: movie sucks
Friends who havnt read book: movie is great.

MiroMac

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2009
I'm a hardcore vampire lover(film and books) so the romance and teen-esque love really got to me. I'd rather just see vampire wreaking havoc on the town than hear them talk. :p

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
GMT-6
Rent

I've decided to rent it. I will let everyone know what i thought when I'm done watching it.
Is it just me or is this a poor time of the year for movie releases?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.