Twilight Zone marathon on SyFi Channel

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by aaronvan, Dec 31, 2014.

1. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I watched a little while of it last night. I always love that show.

2. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

Rod Serling will be forever associated with TZ but most people forget that he had already won four or five Emmy's before the Zone. He was one of the finest screenwriters of television's Golden Age.

3. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

Very true. He was an interesting individual and most don't realize that the original Planet of the Apes was one of his projects.

As for TZ marathon, I went the the list of actors per episode and still remain amazed just how many recognizable names of 'stars" were in these episodes. It is a regular whos who of Hollywood movies and TV.

4. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

5. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

I love the original series. My 3 favorite episodes are: It's a Good Life, To Serve Man, and Nightmare at 20,000 Feet..That being said, I think they're all great!

6. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

"It's a Good Life" is a chilling short story, too. You can find it in many sci-fi anthologies.

7. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

Do people under 21 still appreciate or know of this series? I hope so.

8. sk1wbw Suspended

sk1wbw

Is The New Twilight Zone being aired anymore? Some of the better ones, imho.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've seen them so many times, I pop in and out of the SyFi channel, gone are the days that I'd sit there and watch them all new years eve.

10. aaronvan thread starter Suspended

aaronvan

I've read that the SyFi versions are edited, probably for time. It might be worth getting the uncut DVD versions.

11. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

Netflix has The Twilight Zone season's 1, 2, 3, and 5. I wonder why they left out season 4?

12. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I noticed that too, not too long ago. Really weird.

13. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I can't say for sure, but I believe they are. In fact I'd say any TV show on Major networks/stations will be edited, The volume of commercials in this day and age pale in comparison to when the Twilight Zone ran in the 60s. To that end, somethings gotta give.

14. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

If I remember correctly, in the early 60's there were only 2 or 3 commercials on a half hour show. Today it's out of control..

15. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

They're so bad, that my dad says he'll be watching a program and after the commercials end, he forgets what he was watching. :mad:

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Completely out of control, before you had a couple of 30 second spots. Now you can have a myriad of 8/15/30 second spots. But then with that said, I've been seeing the longer 1 minute commercials from the ASPCA or some other charity trying to tug at my heart strings.

17. Mr. McMac Suspended

Mr. McMac

And like idiots, we pay through the nose for TV now. It's outrageous!

----------

Sounds like me! lol! What were we talking about?

18. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I hitched up DirecTV 7 months ago, the first service I've paid for in many years. I've just been doing Netflix and iTunes all along. While I like DirecTV it was sort of an impulse buy, and I think when the 2-year contract is up, I'll be canceling it.

19. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

I work in tv (the boring part of it). My favorite story about stuff like this is my co-worker who is in charge of editing out stuff to make room for commercials. He said that in a bunch of episodes of Beauty and the Beast, Linda H would get kidnapped and would use her telepathic connection with the beast to call for her help. He would just cut out the scenes of the beast running through the sewers or whatever to get to her so the results would make it look like she was tied up somewhere, called for help and he would just instantly appear to rescue her.

That and the time a black editor was asked to edit the offensive line in Blazing Saddles for air during family broadcast time. The line was "Up yours, ******." They asked him to remove the "up yours". He refused.