Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
FYI the Ice Cubes app is now available for macOS as well.
I have been testing it on iOS since yesterday as my main Mastodon app, I like it so far except for the way the timeline refresh, i.e. post by post or all at once. I would prefer streaming like Metatext or Tweetbot. But I think the dev is working on it.

View attachment 2143440

Can't wait to be able to use Ivory tbh, I have been using Tweetbot daily since 2013 and I miss it.
Do reach out to the developer via e-mail or via Mastodon he is very much open to feedback. Or if you have an account you can also suggest features or mention bugs via the GitHub account.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
FYI the Ice Cubes app is now available for macOS as well.

Can't wait to be able to use Ivory tbh, I have been using Tweetbot daily since 2013 and I miss it.
Thanks for the heads up. Installing now. You'll love Ivory.

Reactions: oMc

oMc

macrumors 6502a
Oct 17, 2010
Finland & France
Do reach out to the developer via e-mail or via Mastodon he is very much open to feedback. Or if you have an account you can also suggest features or mention bugs via the GitHub account.

He already mentioned a couple of days ago that he is working on it, so I don't want to bother him with that tbh.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
As much as I want to delete Twitter for good, there's just too many accounts on there I keep up to date with. I'll wait a little longer and see how many migrate to Mastodon. For now though, I'll just use lists on Twitter.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
As much as I want to delete Twitter for good, there's just too many accounts on there I keep up to date with. I'll wait a little longer and see how many migrate to Mastodon. For now though, I'll just use lists on Twitter.
There are supposedly sites that let you follow Twitter accounts from Mastodon but I haven't had any luck with them. This is one: https://birdsite.lakedrops.com/

Reactions: dannyyankou

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I have been testing it on iOS since yesterday as my main Mastodon app, I like it so far except for the way the timeline refresh, i.e. post by post or all at once. I would prefer streaming like Metatext or Tweetbot. But I think the dev is working on it.

Today he did announce a change is coming to how timeline refresh is handled.

it wasnt me

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2019
the internet, mostly
Having been on Mastodon for five years now (when it was still cool to be there), the influx of new apps is a good thing for me. However, with Metatext having been sent to the Unmaintained stack, there is none that makes me happy: Some are just ugly, most have the problem that I will miss many posts.

Like Tweetings, Metatext has a Fill Gaps feature: I could just leave my smartphone for two days, come back to it, open the app and I could continue where I stopped without starting on top of the timeline every time.

Ice Cubes does not do that (it says “x new posts” and jumps to the top when I press that), Woolly does not do that reliably either. Any ideas?

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
https://sportsbots.xyz has been adding a ton of mirrors to sports accounts to Mastodon. Tons of new ones today.

I love that people are mirroring!

Having been on Mastodon for five years now (when it was still cool to be there), the influx of new apps is a good thing for me. However, with Metatext having been sent to the Unmaintained stack, there is none that makes me happy: Some are just ugly, most have the problem that I will miss many posts.

Were you able to get into the Ivory beta?

pacorob

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
the Netherlands
It seems that Tusker has been officially released and Ivory might have been accepted by Apple and is waiting for Tapbots to flip the switch.
Yes indeed Tusker is in the App Store and Ivory is expected to become available later this week.
I'm also curious when Mona and Mammoth will become available.
I guess Woolly will take a bit longer since it's still quite limited in features.

lexvo

macrumors 65816
Nov 11, 2009
The Netherlands
I decided to go for the standard subscription for Ivory. The main reason for me is the user interface: the scrolling for example in Ivory is the smoothest of all the apps I tried (some apps are really jerky), and Ivory displays images sharp and uncropped.

As for functionality: for me Ivory has almost everything and I know they will add new things in the future.

YMMV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.