Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iReality85

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2008
Upstate NY
“Not sure where else I can trash my cash… oh, Mr. Whatever Pseudo-celebrity just tweeted something… here, take $10.”
- no one, ever.

What you just described is exactly what takes place on YouTube (and fans love it).

But I would argue with YouTube, there is a higher value proposition and an element of entertainment.

MBAir2010

macrumors 603
May 30, 2018
there
i deleted my account last october bcuz i moved and was busy
I use twitter to keep up with my eco-friendly friends whom research on turtles, frogs and other animals.
i also keep my tv writers friends happy with jokes and poke fun at retired baseball players
But
and get countless ads for pharms amazon, cars and other things that destroy this planet.
and my what happening is in japanese so i not get their political point of view in my face every minute.
anyways
the site should be shut down and they lost a lot of users after Nov4th dup to their totalitarianism and now need the money is guess

subjonas

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2014
I don’t use social media but I like this move toward actually paying for things instead of naively thinking everything should be free, which is what led to this shady tracking situation we find ourselves in. I think the model of a paid tier for heavy users and a free tier with non-tracking/non-targeted advertising for light users makes complete sense. It’s the only model that provides an easy entry level for users, pays the people doing the work, and keeps users’ privacy intact. Although I suppose an opt-in targeted advertising could be an option.

Reactions: Karllake

bn-7bc

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2008
Arendal, Norway
I used to complain about being nickel-and-dimed over superscription models for software licensing. Ha!

Now social media is getting in on the action. And now Twitter is charging for Substacking by proxy. Not for me.
Yep twitter is reying to become rhe AAA gaming industry, look out for pre order bomus twets aand rweet dlc

bn-7bc

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2008
Arendal, Norway
PlayStation 5 in stock alerts maybe?

It’s the only reason I looked at Twitter in the last year or so. Now that I have one, I no longer need Twitter though.
Sorry to bring the bad news, but when you get the in stock tweet, the scalper bots have probably all ready got all the units, bldy scalpers!

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
Wouldn't paid tweets go against the idea of tweeting in the first place? I mean imo the idea of tweeting is to express your opinion to a mass public audience. If you start putting a pay wall over your own tweets, then, why?

I guess the analogy to onlyFans is correct. It's the only thing that makes sense to put behind a pay wall.

ian87w

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2020
Indonesia
What you just described is exactly what takes place on YouTube (and fans love it).

But I would argue with YouTube, there is a higher value proposition and an element of entertainment.
YouTube is a much longer form of information, be it entertainment or whatever.
A tweet is just a tweet. Unless of course we use the idea of OnlyFans.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Twitter is becoming toxic, Facebook alternative. I wish some guy comes up with something like the original Twitter, a micro-blog. I know about mastodon but that needs a lot of work for a final product. The only thing even close to it is gab.com which is banned by every app store out there.

The only reason people are following people is because the content is free. Who wants to pay to read to tweets by John Doe.

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
YouTube is a much longer form of information, be it entertainment or whatever.
A tweet is just a tweet. Unless of course we use the idea of OnlyFans.

It takes a lot of effort to create video content like research, lightening, editing, computers...etc etc . It can also be very educational like AsapScience and CrashCourse.

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012
So twitter will basically become OnlyFans. I guess they have to do that now that they've been forced to ban their biggest cash cow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.