Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JKK photography

macrumors regular
Jul 14, 2009
Twitter is, in a lot of ways, a better RSS feed. That's why I use it. It is also nice for staying in touch.

Anyways, I really like Tweetie 2; it has some interesting UI characteristics, is functional, and has all the features I want in a desktop client.

fishkorp

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2006
Ellicott City, MD
IMO, Echofon is the way to go. It keeps my unread Tweets in sync between my Mac, iPhone, and iPad. The iOS app has push for DMs and mentions too. I much prefer Echofon to the official Twitter apps.

fatallonglost

macrumors newbie
May 16, 2008
IMO, Echofon is the way to go. It keeps my unread Tweets in sync between my Mac, iPhone, and iPad. The iOS app has push for DMs and mentions too. I much prefer Echofon to the official Twitter apps.

It would be really cool if I hadn't paid for Echofon pro for the iPhone, though, because for the past two months it hasn't synched between any of my devices. I've tried repeatedly to contact them and they don't answer threads, return emails, or respond to tweets.

I hope that their acquisition will prove to be a good move and these things will get sorted out in the future.

Thank you to the above commenter for the terminal codes :). They're mighty handy.

Edit: Holy wow, I downloaded YoruFukurou and I am so happy you mentioned it. Goodbye shiny twitter for mac, and hello customisable client.

Last edited:

R94N

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2010
UK
Hmmmm, I think the app's okay but then again this is really the first Twitter desktop app I've used properly - I used TweetDeck for a while but then switched back to just using the web interface. I don't mind this new app but I don't like how with the new update it stays on top of every Space.

Mackilroy

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2006
YoruFukurou is a very cool Twitter client, but it has a lot of features that I don't need and won't use, so Twitter for Mac is good enough for me on the Mac. I use Echofon on my iPod touch.

RobT

macrumors 6502a
Dec 20, 2007
Ohio, USA
Somehow I'm not getting dock notifications with the new Twitter. I have it set Preferences>Notifications with Tweets, Mentions, and Messages set to dock. But no dock notifications.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I say screw Twitter for Mac and move to YoruFukurou as rdowns pointed out. This is by far the best client I have used. It was easy to figure out and I like the customizable colors.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Jul 11, 2003
I had this problem. There just came a new update today.
It also have another new logo! :rolleyes: New logo with each update?

All that time between updates and the program is a mess.

I say screw Twitter for Mac and move to YoruFukurou as rdowns pointed out. This is by far the best client I have used. It was easy to figure out and I like the customizable colors.

How are you using colors?

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009
Regarding URL shortening in the (lame as it may be) Twitter for Mac client... URLs are implicitly shortened to a t.co link as needed when you post them as-is.

ozaz

macrumors 68000
Feb 27, 2011
I've noticed there are a number of "best twitter app" type threads but no polls to proide a quick summary of opinions since an outdated one in May 2009. Please consider voting on the poll I've just setup so that it becomes useful (i.e. based on a significant number of votes): https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1256322/

Thanks, and apologies for cross-posting.

DiamondMac

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2006
Washington, D.C.
Eh, friends of mine have their own favorite Twitter apps as it seems that everyone has different tastes.

I personally got tired of twitter very quickly as it was a bit too much of information over-load for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.