Twitter, Pownce, or Jaiku?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Pathfinder55, Apr 12, 2008.

?

Which do you use?

1. Twitter

32 vote(s)
    48.5%
  2. Pownce

2 vote(s)
    3.0%
  3. Jaiku

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. None

32 vote(s)
    48.5%
  1. Pathfinder55 macrumors 6502

So I just wanted to know what everyone here uses. So tell what you use and why you use it. I personally use Twitter, my name is bthockey.

2. crazycat macrumors 65816

crazycat

I dont have any friends who i talk to online, if i had to i would use sms. For me the answer is none to the above.

3. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

I use twitter.

note to crazycat twitter is for blogging, it isn't meant to talk to people.

4. oblomow macrumors 68020

oblomow

Friend! Nobody to talk to. Same here. But at least you've someone to send sms. Or just phone.

5. Pathfinder55 thread starter macrumors 6502

6. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

Twitter is blogging on steroids. I used to use it but it is extremely distracting and a huge productivity killer with new posts (tweets?) showing up every few minutes. I quickly deleted my account ;)

7. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

my stats teacher would kick you in the face.

That's why you only have alerts set up for a few select people, and the rest you can read online. I must admit that I really only use twitter for gossiping about the idiots in my english class. :D

8. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

Twitter is where it's at.
    But I wouldn't say it's blogging on steroids, when I blog I want to put up well thought out and structured posts, when I tweet it's spur of the moment thoughts or updates on what I'm doing.

9. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Pownce is like a dumbed down version of Facebook... but I do have an account, for some reason.

10. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

I don't think that's true at all. I know plenty of people who use it as an open chat system. The whole "@username" function is designed for that very purpose - to reply.

And, what are blogs if not conversations (i.e. talking) with people?

11. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

I agree. Twitter is often described as a "microblogging" platform, but most everyone I know uses it at least partially as a substitute for IM. (This is me, by the way).

I have a Pownce account, but I never did figure out what purpose it serves. All of the use cases for Pownce sound like things that I already use e-mail for.

12. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

For talking to people online I use iChat, MSN and Bebo, although I hate Bebo, the only reason I still have my account is so I can give my girlfriend "luv" (basically a profile comment with a little heart next to it) apparently thats a big deal... Why? Couldnt tell ya if you offered me £50,000,000... Seriously! Some people :rolleyes:

13. EvanLugh macrumors 68000

EvanLugh

Hope this isn't too much of a bump (only 20 days) but it's a good thread :)

I've recently (like today) found twitter. I'm still getting used to and and trying to understand the point, but not many people in England (ie. friends, family) use it. As PFM said, they use a bebo service. Exclude MSN etc then it's got to be twitter (even though I've started using it.)

14. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Unless I have boat-loads of friends using one of these, I'm not going to join it. Sorry, but there's no point in signing up and inviting my friends to this. If I do, then I just spammed them. FaceBook and MSN works just as good today as it did yesterday, and there's no point getting the same friends from FaceBook (all 200+ of them) to put their names down to another service that's not ground-breaking, 3D video, mind-reading, dream-reading, ESP type communication.

15. DJMastaWes macrumors 65816

DJMastaWes

I have both twitter and pownce, but haven't used pownce in like, ages. So, twitter for me.

16. Rhosfelt macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

Hey guys, sorry to revive a 2 month old thread but I just recently got twitter so you can tell what I voted on.

Anyways some of you should add me so I have some more friends right now I only have 3 :(

username is: rthosfelt

17. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

18. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

I recently got Skype and a new Skypephone and only have 2 friends! If anyone wants to add me then add: joshistheking

joshistheking is my Skype name coz when I tell it to people they repeat it coz they think its stupid but they dont relise they just called me a king and its good when other people overhear it :D

19. daze macrumors 6502

daze

So do I... I don't use it either. It just hasn't caught on yet.

20. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

I never heard of pownce or jaiku, but I am on Twitter (and apparently I am subscribed to the OP, what a coincidence). If anyone want's to follow me, my username is ghall (surprise, surprise), and I will follow you in return. :)

21. daze macrumors 6502

daze

I am farhany on twitter, if anyone would like to follow me. :)

22. Shotglass macrumors 65816

Shotglass

None of these services is a dumbed down version of facebook. Facebook just happens to have a feature that resembles these services.

I started out using Pownce, but as most of my friends crossed over to Twitter, I did as well. Pownce is the better service, but Twitter has a nicer desktop application.

23. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

I don't use any of them. I know what Twitter does, haven't a clue about the others two you mentioned, and see no point to micro-blogging.

Heaven knows Blogging is asinine enough without reducing it to 'micro posts'

Or do I miss something about the point of them? Is there a secret to using them?

24. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

You don't have to come here and be rude for no reason to everyone here who obviously enjoys using them. I use twitter and I have ten friends following me, we use it to bring plans together to hang out nightly.

25. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

No offense intended mate. I clear my name of guilt by admitting I have accounts on two of them...

But seriously, am I missing something? I mean, are they like web-based IM or something? I've only heard them described as microblogs..