Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Twitter today revealed a new design coming to twitter.com, Twitter for iOS, Twitter for Android, TweetDeck, and Twitter Lite over the next few days and weeks. The company said the redesign was intended to make an app that's faster and easier to use, while also fixing things that users didn't like about the current design.

The first new change is a new side navigation menu with profile, additional accounts, settings, and privacy, which Twitter said results in fewer tabs at the bottom of the app and reduces clutter. This brings all of Twitter's various apps more in line with the current iteration of the service on Android.

twitter-update-ios.jpg

On iOS, links to articles and websites will now open in Safari's viewer within the Twitter app, which will let users easily access accounts on the websites they're already signed into. Subtler design updates include a more universal typography shift with bolder headlines and rounded profile photos. The company said that all of these visual overhauls make it easier for users to navigate Twitter and "focus on what's happening."
Last year, we told you exactly who we are (Twitter is what's happening!) and refreshed our brand. Today, with lots of feedback and ideas from you, we're refreshing our product too and making it feel lighter, faster, and easier to use. We listened closely and kept what you love. And for the things you didn't, we took a new approach to fix and make better.
Hoping to make the service accessible to newcomers, more intuitive icons intend to make it easier to engage with Tweets. The reply icon (currently an arrow) will now be a speech bubble because people thought the arrow meant delete or go back to a previous page. All of the icons are now lighter, and all Tweets update instantly with reply, Retweet, and like counts (except on twitter.com and Twitter Lite) so it's easier to see updates on a Tweet in real time.

twitter-update-ios-2.jpg

Twitter is also adding more accessibility choices, including a mode that introduces increased color contrast throughout the app. In terms of iOS-specific additions, users will be able to choose an option that always opens supported links in Safari Reader View.

The Twitter redesign will begin appearing today as an update for those on the iOS version of the app, and the rollout is planned to continue over the next few weeks [Direct Link].

Article Link: Twitter Reveals Major Redesign With Faster Navigation, Cleaner Interface, and Subtle Design Tweaks

mattburley7

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2011

Twitter today revealed a new design coming to twitter.com, Twitter for iOS, Twitter for Android, TweetDeck, and Twitter Lite over the next few days and weeks. The company said the redesign was intended to make an app that's faster and easier to use, while also fixing things that users didn't like about the current design.

The first new change is a new side navigation menu with profile, additional accounts, settings, and privacy, which Twitter said results in fewer tabs at the bottom of the app and reduces clutter. This brings all of Twitter's various apps more in line with the current iteration of the service on Android.

twitter-update-ios.jpg

On iOS, links to articles and websites will now open in Safari's viewer within the Twitter app, which will let users easily access accounts on the websites they're already signed into. Subtler design updates include a more universal typography shift with bolder headlines and rounded profile photos. The company said that all of these visual overhauls make it easier for users to navigate Twitter and "focus on what's happening."
Hoping to make the service accessible to newcomers, more intuitive icons intend to make it easier to engage with Tweets. The reply icon (currently an arrow) will now be a speech bubble because people thought the arrow meant delete or go back to a previous page. All of the icons are now lighter, and all Tweets update instantly with reply, Retweet, and like counts (except on twitter.com and Twitter Lite) so it's easier to see updates on a Tweet in real time.

twitter-update-ios-2.jpg

Twitter is also adding more accessibility choices, including a mode that introduces increased color contrast throughout the app. In terms of iOS-specific additions, users will be able to choose an option that always opens supported links in Safari Reader View.

The Twitter update will begin appearing for users today as an update for those on the iOS version of the app [Direct Link].

Article Link: Twitter Reveals Major Redesign With Faster Navigation, Cleaner Interface, and Subtle Design Tweaks

i think this design will be much better. i updated my app to 7.0 version but dont have the design yet even after closing and reopening the app. anyone else?

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
now if facebook would redesign there app. its due for a major update. not to mention it is a resource hog.

Facebook is the only remaining app that I force-quit when I'm done using it because it occasionally keeps draining battery after I exit it.

I don't even have the actual Facebook app installed on my iPad, and just use Safari.

jft94

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2016
i think this design will be much better. i updated my app to 7.0 version but dont have the design yet even after closing and reopening the app. anyone else?

Yeah that’s normal. The redesign will appear one day soon. They slowly roll out a redesign, new button, new feature, etc. to various users over a few weeks.

I remember it took me FOREVER to get the GIF keyboard in twitter when that first came out.

Reactions: earthTOmitchel

JonathanK81

macrumors 6502a
Feb 7, 2006
I really hope they redesign the Mac app. I never had a problem, then they redesigned it, and ever since, I've had problems, with the app. I keep wishing I could go back to the last version 3.0+, ever since it became 4.0+, it's been buggy, especially DMs.

benroberts3

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2012
Kansas City
Same here. It makes me wonder just how much of modern iOS apps are implemented in the app itself, and how much is implemented server-side!
Google does this all the time with their updates. They'll announce what has been changed in the app store release notes but won't activate the feature for days or weeks after.

Fynd

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2010
The only problem is Tweetbot is missing out on several features due to API limitations.

Like what? Genuinely curious what API limitations Twitter has in place. Currently use Twitterific myself, but I'm not aware of anything i'd be missing out on over the official app.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
The only problem is Tweetbot is missing out on several features due to API limitations.
Like polls or what? I just use Twitter to follow and read about things in the industries I'm interested in: web design, tech, photography, meteorology, and video games. I can see the tweets, I can tap the links, I can look at the photos, I can filter out things I'm not interested in using regex, and it syncs between all my devices. What else is there to really need? It's superfluous junk that Twitter has added over the years that does little to enhance the platform. Guess I'm more of a Twitter purist.

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
They do all this and don’t fix a simple thing. Like editing a tweet without having to delete it, and start over.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
They do all this and don’t fix a simple thing. Like editing a tweet without having to delete it, and start over.
There's a good reason you can't edit tweets. Let's say someone tweets something cool and it gets hundreds of likes and retweets. Then they go and edit it to say "Nazis are awesome". Suddenly all those people look like they agree with that statement.

Any tweet editing functionally would have to basically do the same as editing and tweeting again to avoid that.

Reactions: autrefois and Slix

lsutigerfan1976

macrumors 68030
Sep 14, 2012
There's a good reason you can't edit tweets. Let's say someone tweets something cool and it gets hundreds of likes and retweets. Then they go and edit it to say "Nazis are awesome". Suddenly all those people look like they agree with that statement.

Any tweet editing functionally would have to basically do the same as editing and tweeting again to avoid that.

That’s the lamest reason! lol!! Facebook has the same functionality where you can like and share, and have your post shared a million times. You can still edit grammatical errors if need be.

Reactions: mdelvecchio

CaTOAGU

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2008
Manchester, UK
Anyone got this working on an iPad?

EDIT: Nevermind, it just updated lol.
EDIT 2: They've not implemented SafariViewController on the iPad though, which seems ridiculous.

Last edited:

nburwell

macrumors 603
May 6, 2008
DE
I do like the redesign (kinda of iMessage like).

The redesign showed up after I force quit the app.

mattburley7

macrumors 68040
Oct 13, 2011
i now did a force quit on the app and got the redesign.

is the redesign showing on ipad for anyone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.