Twitter??? What about Facebook??

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by DDustiNN, Jun 6, 2011.

1. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

Why would they have built-in Twitter functionality, but no Facebook? Facebook can sync so much information with your Contacts... picture, phone number, e-mail address, birthday, etc...

I know it can be done, because my Android phone had Facebok integrated... It was very convenient to find a photo in your photo album and be able to upload it to Facebook directly from there, instead of having to back out, open the Facebook app, click upload photo, find the photo again...

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

Because they weren't able to strike a deal with Facebook.

3. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Runors appeared a while ago suggesting Apple and Facebook were in talks. They stalled for whatever reason.

4. Surely Guest

Surely

5. EddyP macrumors 6502

Let the parade of "why doesn't iOS5 have..." begin.

6. DDustiNN thread starter macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

Absolutely. Apple is very much behind the game as far as features go, and I'm glad to see they're catching up to Android (i.e. notifications). So of course it raises concerns when they are lacking great features that the competition has. Plus... I hate Twitter :p

I'm just glad I can finally unjailbreak my phone and get iOS updates when they're released.

Of course, we don't know what all of the 200 features are, so hopefully they're good. Aside from Facebook integration, which I guess isn't that big of a deal, the next thing I'm hoping for is contact photos in the contact list (like Cyntact, or whatever it's called), and a better SMS app (like biteSMS, which is WAY better than the stock app).

7. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Facebook depends on ads, I'm not sure they WANT features that let you post stuff without looking directly at their own page or app.

8. someone28624 macrumors 6502a

I'm really hoping being able to lock the iPhone in vertical or horizontal position,and a silent option that actually silences everything is coming. Looks like a solid release, and I'm very sad I have to wait til Fall for it.

9. kicko macrumors 65816

do you really have to ask facebooks permission if you can sync your contacts? wasnt that already a feature?? (that worked poorly) every android devive can sync twitter and facebook contacts.

10. DDustiNN thread starter macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

This is most definitely possible... Like I said, my Android phone had this feature and I never once saw an ad anywhere. There aren't even ads in the official Facebook app for iPhone or Android.

11. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

What is this Facebook you speak about?

12. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

13. Jcoz macrumors 6502

I agree....Twitter seems cools every now and again until I remember I really dont give a **** what most people want to blurt out. I barely care what people want to blurt out in my own network on Facebook, let alone some jackass I dont know....

Would have rather seen facebook integration as well.

14. Armeniandave macrumors 6502

Very Very happy facebook is nowhere near my phone!
    Talk about invasion of privacy. There is no other app
    or integration I would want on my phone less than
    facebook.

15. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

If Facebook is indeed working on a Facebook phone, I doubt they'd want iOS5 to have such strong integration. I'm fine with using the app.

16. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

I for one smiled in delight when I saw they were integrating Twitter but not Facebook.

I do not like Facebook.

They have privacy issues. Use of your real name is mandatory.

Twitter on the other hand is awesome; you can use whatever account name you want, and so far they've been good about protecting privacy.

So GO APPLE on this one. Facebook can go to hell. If you really want Facebook, download their app. I'll go on with a Facebook-free iPhone. :)

17. Hermes Monster macrumors 65816

Hermes Monster

You can lock it now! Double tap home button, swipe to the left (or should that be right?) and press the circular arrow icon :D

18. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

I'm sure there are many reasons why facebook was shuned/not implemented.

But from what I've seen, twitter has a higher percentage of technical persons and adults. While facebook has a higher percentage of youths and average citizens.

As to why twitter is being used, probably has to do with Zuckers ego versus Steve's ego.

19. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

I on the other hand don't want the silent switch to silence everything. For example, my morning alarm should still go off.

Actually that would be a nice feature. For every reminder or calendar event, to have an option "ring even if in silent mode". Hey Apple you listening? :)

20. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 604

21. gigemzach macrumors 6502

They could have at least integrated it into the camera app.

22. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I'm not saying that FB is great, but if you're making arguments at least try and use real ones.

23. lentini macrumors regular

24. DDustiNN thread starter macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

What? No it's not... You can type in any name you want. People just choose to use their real name.

Paranoid much?

As far as privacy, you can set your account to be as private as you want, even down to not showing up in search results at all.

Facebook is an amazing way to keep in contact with everyone you know (since almost everyone has it), and you can limit your visibility to only your friends. Twitter is just nothing more than the "status update" feature of Facebook, except the entire world can see it.

I don't want Twitter, and none of my friends have Twitter, so it's just gonna be another icon getting in my way. I wish they'd let you remove/disable icons you don't want on your home screen (without having to jailbreak).

25. Jcoz macrumors 6502

LOL! I do not think so...now, the news outlet sources can be useful, but every athlete and most regular users are no different than facebook, the only difference is your tweets are outthere for anyone in the world to read instead of your own network.

Facebook has its share of issues though with security.