Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seenett

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2007
Back to the ORIGINAL subject: Two bridges.

Two bridges: OS X mac and OS X iPhone. Following the angles of the bridges, they converge (.mac? .me?) into one just beyond the sightline.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
What is with people thinking that there will be a high end and a low end iPhone? Get over it, there won't be. They just need to release 1 version that is diff colors and diff amounts of storage. No iPhone nano.

Fibonacci

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2008
I like the line of thinking about the title of the event and how it may be related to the annoucement(s). Several companies I have worked for used Project names that were supposed to be slightly removed from the real project. For instance, Penguin was the name of a project that involved the installation of a large chilling unit. Pretty straightforward.

So, since it appears that the other Apple Events were titled appropriately for the primary announcement, what could this one entail?

My value addition to this thread is the following: is there a specific meaning in the words "landmark event"? They are the only really interesting nouns in the event title; especially "landmark."

Any ideas? I mean, the 2 bridges could be 2 of anything, as has been discussed, but "landmark"?

adamerr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2008
maybe the landmark could refer to the bridge being a landmark itself, and the Apple conference being another landmark.

if that makes sense.

nickspohn

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2007
Technically, we already know what the two landmarks are.

OS X iPhone and OS X Mac

Something to do with these 2.

I'm stating the obvious, but with Apple you never know.

jersey

macrumors regular
Jul 9, 2007
I'm going with two separate points converging into one. Seems to make sense, seems to be more apple like ----- multiple devices into one

Mykbibby

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2007
Palm Springs, CA
I think you missed my point. I'm not saying Mac won't be talked about: I'm saying it won't be the main event. All Apple invited have to do with the main event, in this case, the 3G iPhone. So while OS X will be talked about, it won't be the focus, so its not the second bridge.

There's Something in the Air: MacBook Air. Apple TV also announced, but not in title because its not the focus.

Showtime: Other stuff announced, but Movie Rentals was focus, thus the title.

adamerr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2008
so the main event is the 3G iPhone?

how much can they talk about a phone?

it will be something like
"And the phone has a camera, reminds me of the time when i went to rome......"

err.
get to the point please

Mykbibby

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2007
Palm Springs, CA

err.
get to the point please

Do you hear the media talking about 10.6? No. Apple is a business and what sells? Certainly not an OS that comes out in January! Check out the front page of USA Today.

Remember, when he announces two phones and refers to the slogan "In More Ways Than One", you heard it here first!

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/wireless/phones/2008-06-08-apple-iphone_N.htm

Mykbibby

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2007
Palm Springs, CA
What is with people thinking that there will be a high end and a low end iPhone? Get over it, there won't be. They just need to release 1 version that is diff colors and diff amounts of storage. No iPhone nano.

No iPhone Nano. Just two models of the iPhone. One model for people with basic needs (teenagers, college students), another for people who need all the features and battery life (enterprise, me :D ). It's not a smaller iPhone. It's just a different one.

MattGTO

macrumors regular
May 29, 2008
Mckinney, Texas

err.
get to the point please

the 3G will definitely be the sole focus of the event, and with the iPhone 2.0 Firmware coming in a close second. Here is my prediction of the keynote:

Steve walks on. He talks about how well the iPhone has been doing in sales, as well as the MBA, and the rest of the product line. He gives an update on how iTunes movie rentals has been doing, and he finally gets to the two bridges. He explains that Mac OSX is the central island, and the two bridges are OSX Mac, and OSX iPhone. He then lets this part of the keynote flow into iPhone firmware 2.0. He gives the entire rundown, and then announces that the new firmware update (available for free to all iPhone users, while it will be "A nominal $20 fee for our iPod Touch users") will be available through iTunes right as he speaks. After he wraps up firmware 2.0, he says, "A landmark event." He then finds a way to introduce the 3G iPhone. The crowd is astounded. He announces that the 16gig version will cost $499, and the 32gig at $599, and they will be shipping in July.

Well...I shouldn't have writtien that. We will know in less than 13 hours. :eek:

adamerr

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2008
oh, Mykbibby, i didnt mean the "errr" part as an insult to you, only to the news providers.

sorry.

mmoosa, how'd did you come to that conclusion?
besides the obvious symbolism.

Mykbibby

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 1, 2007
Palm Springs, CA
oh, Mykbibby, i didnt mean the "errr" part as an insult to you, only to the news providers.

No worries, it wasn't taken as an insult. Unfortunately, inflections can't come through in forums, making misinterpretations an often occurance!

Here's my prediction:

Steve announces whatever, and gets to the 3G iPhone. He announces it completely (the high end model first). He then pulls out a one more thing, and brings up the picture, and says "Well today was a landmark event indeed. But what about in more ways than one? Well I'm happy to announce that we have not just one model to introduce to you today, but two. He show it, blah, blah, blah. And we're happy to announce, because AT&T is subsidizing the cost... it starts at just 99 dollars."

Let's just say this: If Apple didn't have something that will bring people to the stores, after they just did it a year ago, AT&T wouldn't be doing the "summer promotion".

tasiv

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2008
3G in Palm Springs?

Do you know if we'll have 3G in Palm Springs soon/now? Thanks!

stomer

macrumors 6502a
Apr 2, 2007
Leeds, UK
Landmark event in more ways than one?

To me it wasn't a landmark event. iPhone revision 2 and .Mac revision 2. Where's the landmark event?

I get the distinct impression that something significant was dropped from this keynote. The first 40+ mins were spent going over v2 software. This seemed like filler, not quite last minute filler, but still filler.

Don't Apple usually use the keynote to announce what its doing, rather than what partners are doing? Bizarre.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.