Two defective Crucial 256GB M4 SSD in a row!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mstgkillr, May 26, 2012.

1. mstgkillr macrumors regular

I want to start off by saying that I am extremely upset! About three
    months ago I purchased a brand new Crucial 256GB M4 SSD to go with my
    top of the line 15.4" MacBook Pro. Unfortunately, the drive failed and
    after wasting several days troubleshooting with Crucial's technical
    department and losing a lot of irreplaceable data, it was necessary to
    return the the drive for replacement. I shipped the drive on 5/10 and
    received the replacement drive on 5/25, 15 days later. That was a long
    15 days without a computer that I needed daily for work. Yesterday,
    while installing the drive, I was shocked and extremely disappointed
    to see that the replacement drive was refurbished. Seriously, I get a
    refurbished drive to replace a 3 month old defective unit, that's
    absolutely horrible. When I think of a refurbished item, I feel like I
    am getting someone else's defective item. Well guess what, the
    replacement drive didn't work either! Whoever refurbished it did a lousy
    job.

At this point I have no faith in the reliability, warranty, or
    customer service of Crucial when it comes to the M4 SSD, hopefully the
    RAM that I have is not as bad! I have always purchased Crucial
    products due to the reliability and quality of the product but it
    seems things aren't what they used to be.

I am not exactly sure what I am going to do at this point. Even if I
    am sent a brand new drive, will it be reliable? I don't have the time
    to constantly be swapping and waiting on drives. I need something that
    works. More than likely, I am going to throw the refurbished drive in
    the garbage and never purchase another Crucial product again. I guess
    this would be the excuse that I need to upgrade to a larger, more
    reliable, and faster Samsung 512GB 830 SSD.

2. 7DSniper macrumors regular

Why would you throw the drive away? Get your money back and put it towards the Samsung drive you want.

3. mstgkillr thread starter macrumors regular

They won't give me a refund, I already asked when I sent in the first drive. They would give me store credit if I wanted to upgrade to their 512GB SSD but after the first drive failed I was hesitant on throwing away more money.

----------

I just posted this to Crucial's forums and was amazed how many people are having issues with the M4's. If I would have seen that forum 3 months ago, there would have been no way that I would have purchased an M4.

4. 7DSniper macrumors regular

So get another M4, demand a new unit not a refurb and sell it. It's a hot item right now you wouldn't take that big of a loss on it.

5. mstgkillr thread starter macrumors regular

I don't think it will be worth the trouble. The time I spend with Crucial on the phone, driving and shipping it back to them, posting it on EBay, shipping it to the buyer, and dealing with any other issues. What am I looking at, if I can sell it for $180, subtract fees and shipping bringing it down to $150. So $150 for how many hours of my time, nope, not worth it.

6. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

So what is the point of this thread? Someone offered a solution and you are ignoring it.

7. mstgkillr thread starter macrumors regular

My post was more of a FYI, that's more than I can say for your comment.

8. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

There's a lot of people whose Crucial drives are working just fine...mine included. It's unfortunate that you're having problems, but that doesn't mean that all Crucial drives are crap. There's people that have gotten two defective MBPs in a row...doesn't mean they're all bad.

I don't get it. You're unhappy with a product, so instead of demanding a refund or new replacement you just take the $ hit and go on your way? Sure, selling it on Ebay or Craiglist might be a pain, but if you have $150 or so to throw away then go for it. I hope you get a drive that works better for you.

9. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Yup.. Sorry to hear it.. but..

Move On..

Giddy Up!!

:rolleyes:

10. pragmatous macrumors 65816

Order your stuff from amazon or newegg. If you can that is. I don't know what store you buy your stuff at but they have a lousy return policy. I know for a fact Amazon and Newegg will allow you to return the item for full refund.

I bought the Intel 520 180GB SSD and it is awesome.

11. cookiesnfooty macrumors 6502

cookiesnfooty

My Crucial M4 died as DOA, I called them up agreed for them to charge me again so I could get a replacement. As soon as I receive this i'll post the old.

12. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

I don't have a Crucial SSD, but plenty of people do and you seem to be in the minority.

If this is an FYI of your experiences, post in the SSD Guide thread.

I'm glad you're posting your experiences, but if you're just going to give up because of an anomaly, then I don't know what else to tell you. If you are willing to throw $150 away and get a new SSD, then you must have a lot of money.

Get a Samsung next time.

13. khollister macrumors 6502a

khollister

**** Happens - I have 4 256GB M4's in a MP, Mini Server and my MBP with absolutely 0 problems. All purchased form Amazon.

Understand your disappointment, but a sample size of 2 is hardly definitive evidence of a systemic problem.

14. Clubber, May 27, 2012
    Last edited: May 27, 2012

Clubber macrumors member

Crucial M4

I'm running the Crucial M4 512 on my MacPro and it's working fine, now. Here are some things to do if you decide to revisit it:

Flash your drive. Make sure the latest firmware is installed. This is hugely important as anything before 0009 is pretty crappy.

Don't force/hack the OSX trim support for this drive. It will auto trim when the drive isn't being heavily used. I was getting some beach balls that went away after I removed the OSX trim hack. I don't get degradation over time either (which is what trim is supposed to prevent).

It sucks that they sent you a refurb replacement, though. That's just salt in the wound.

15. jtcedinburgh macrumors regular

Most odd...

I've just installed a brand new one into my MBP on behalf of its new purchaser, and it's been working very well indeed. Quite noticeably faster than my OCZ Vertex 2 240Gb SSD. 6 seconds dead from off to login screen (10.6.8, new install) as compared to 20 seconds with my OCZ (10.7.4, not a new install) - very, very snappy drive...

16. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

I'm running the same drive in my Mac Pro and MacBook Pro. Great drive, zero problems.

17. 7DSniper macrumors regular

I will take the drive off your hands if you just going to throw it away.

18. prism macrumors 6502a

I think the OP is more concerned with Crucial's shoddy support and I agree that 15 days is way too long to turnover the product and their policy of shipping the replacement only after they receive the defective one is ridiculous.
    We trust them with our money and our credit cards so I don't see why they have to treat us with suspicion which is exactly what they are doing. I had a similar problem with a defective RAM and contacted them promptly. They asked me to send the RAM back told me that they would ship the replacement once they received the defective one. Give me a break, the biggest risk they would be taking if they didn't have this silly policy would be to lose a defective RAM.

19. rashadrivera macrumors newbie

Shout Out to mstgjillr

mstgkillr,

You da man!;) Or if you are a girl, your still da man!

I want to encourage you to ignore these Micron employees and continue to provide valuable consumer feedback. Consumers paid for the "RIGHT" to blast products when they are not up to snuff. It is because of your post that I am dumping Crucial for good.

Just like you, I purchased a BRAND SPANKING NEW M4 512GB drive; I dropped ~$400+ on it. It worked for all of 2 weeks before dumping on me like a fat kid who ate fish burritos in Tijuana. Then, I wasted another MONTH, back and forth with Crucial techs for a solid month, because like you, I just don't have time to perform power cycle resets and firmware updates (which never worked by the way).

Finally, I paid another $500 brones, for a REFERBISHED POS that failed after just 10 minutes.

So, in case you are thinking, probably have bad hardware Mr. rashadrivera, think again. I purchased a SanDisk and the thing has not skipped a beat. I believe Crucial is aware of the fact that their drives are prone to failure when it experiences power fluctuations. Unlike their competitors.

So, if my post offends, then I say "GET A LIFE", and "MOVE ON!"

Wohhh! That was therapeutic.

- Yours Truly,
    Yada, yada, yada...

20. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

If I had to guess, the amount of people having no issues at all far outweigh the ones that are.

Just out of curiosity, are you installing this drive in the main bay or in the optical drive bay?

21. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I have to admit these posts and threads are puckering me up a bit, but no problems thus far <knock on wood>.

22. Spink10 macrumors 601

Spink10

LOL when you think because 2 products fail that their product is not like it use to be.

23. Ccrew macrumors 68020

I might respect your issues were it not for this line. That's what backups are for. If it's important, back it up.

24. rashadrivera macrumors newbie

T5BRICK,

I am actually using my SSD as an external drive for my VMware images. Using an external SSD connected via USB3 or ESATA drive drastically improves performance.

This is why I believe Crucial's hardware is faulty in that it can't handle when I pull the power cord before disconnecting the USB/ESATA cable. This is when it freaks out. Nevertheless, other products like SanDisk can handle this abuse.

Now I would admit that I'm a bit rough on my equipment, but honestly, am I that wrong for expecting a bit more from my $400+ equipment? Spinning media never gave me this issue. I say that Crucial did not perform enough Drop-Tests on their SSDs before production.

25. Justinhub2003 macrumors regular

My 256Gb Crucial M4 is still alive and kicking. Can I ask what Firmware you were using on it?

Because I bought a 512Gb M4 to upgrade my 256Gb and it failed just 4 days after purchase. It was on the firmware that has since been patched already.

But when it failed after 3 days of use, I took it back to the store and got the Samsung 840.