Two handed operation

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by ericgtr12, Mar 24, 2015.

1. ericgtr12 macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

Other than glancing at notifications, won't any interaction require two handed operation, or hand to wrist? With the iPhone you can at least handle most basic tasks with one hand, even on the 6/6+. Probably not a big deal, especially with voice operation but something to think about.

2. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

It's not two hands, it's a hand and a wrist. The hand on the side you are wearing a warch can be doing something, like holding a bag, while you use your other hand to manipulate the watch.

I never manage to operate the iPhone, even the smaller ones, with only hand. I always find myself holding the phone in one hand while tapping with the other. So for me, the watch will require one less hand to operate.

3. papa8706, Mar 24, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2015

papa8706 macrumors 6502a

Raising my wrist and using the crown for quick tasks > reaching in my pocket/bag to find my phone, unlocking it, opening the app.

Getting a little nit-picky. This isn't a phone replacement that you're gonna do heavy tasks on, it's a companion for simple tasks/notifications.

Also, if you're using you phone and need to do something else what do you have to do? Put it back away, put it down ect. If you're using you're using "two-hand" use on your watch you just stop at any time and both hands are free. I don't see how one handed phone use is more convenient if that's what you're implying.

4. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Should be easier than two-handed operation on the iPhone 6+, as you can be carrying something with the hand on which you're wearing the watch.

5. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

Siri use will not require two hands. Hey Siri functionality is active when the watch screen is on.

6. Maskusee macrumors 6502a

Maskusee

I wouldn't really on Siri, Apple imho needs to fix Siri. I've been using Siri from day one and as far as voice to text, its maybe 35% accurate for me. Just today i said "Siri remind me tomorrow at 8:30am for Mia appointment"
    This is what i got back - I will remind you tomorrow at 9am for Me up appointment 830

7. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

I don't share your troubles with Siri. Sometimes you benefit from better phrasing, but, my use of Siri is generally sufficiently successful. Even if it misunderstands me, it has never been incomprehensible when reviewing later. Clearly this is a YMMV situation. It may be worth noting that I am American with no discernible accent (in context.)

8. ericgtr12 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ericgtr12

I don't have any issues with Siri either, in fact no matter how I word appointments and reminders (surely differently every time) it has always nailed it for me. I'm never not surprised by it's accuracy.

9. Maskusee macrumors 6502a

Maskusee

Glad you guys are not having the issues i am, it's very frustrating.
    Especially during text replies while driving.

10. Mr.C macrumors 601

This.

----------

Siri works fine for me too. Granted when it was first introduced it wasn't very accurate but it has greatly improved since then. I live in the UK with plain London accent and I still find it OK.

11. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

That has to be the most contrived "use requirement" summary yet. A watch -- any watch -- is tradtionally worn on a wrist, not a hand. The hand attached to the wrist that my watch is on is still free to hold things while I piddle with the watch. Contrast with something that actually takes two hands -- one to hold the object and another to manipulate it. In that instance neither hand is free to hold anything else. That's two-handed operation. A watch is one handed operation of a wrist worn object.