Two iMac G5 into one working

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Graeme43, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Graeme43 macrumors 6502a

Graeme43

So my grandparents bought this iMac G5 1.9 isight as a refurb model in late 2005 and in 2011, they got an iMac i5 2.5.

My mum took over the use of the G5 just for email and web and bout a year ago it started getting lines on the screen :( thought it was the logic board so her husband bought some crappy 1.4ghz AMD Apu thing that uses 100% of the cpu just running windoze explorer. That thing is slowwwwwwww :roll eyes: I think my Tibook 500 is faster lol

Recently my mums friends iMac G5 just stopped booting and the beeps it made pointed to a RAM issue and since its onboard I figured there is no way to fix it. So I swapped the screens over and now have a working unit out of the two :D:D:D

Attached Files:

2. Graeme43 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Graeme43

Gave it a clean 10.5.8 install with all intel binaries removed. Seems pretty snappy :)

I should have put a 500gb hd in it when I had it opened as it has a 160gb :roll eyes:

G5 1.9 - 1GB ram - 160GB HD - X600 pro 128mb GPU

Attached Files:

3. Graeme43 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Graeme43

It seems to run quite hot! If my other macs got that hot id be very uneasy :(

Attached Files:

4. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I hear you! I have an iMac G5 as well and it runs in the 140-160º range (Fahrenheit). I had to look this up to make sure this was a standard temp and that the Mac was not overheating. But, it's a G5, so…

5. Graeme43 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Graeme43

it quotes 85 as the max temp, but 70 is fine. if i set it to reduced cpu it drops to 60

I only done this to bring life back to PowerPC. I actually don't have much use for it myself as I have titanium powerbook with my powerpc stuff.

dropping classic support from 10.5 was a mistake and so was dropping powerpc rosetta stuff

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Try checking out some of the Leopard graphics tweaks that I made into a guide on this forum. You will definitely appreciate the additional UI speed. One thing to note is that if this has the Nvidia 5200 not to enable QuartzGL.

7. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I'm no Intel Mac fan, but here I have to disagree somewhat.

With the exception of one app, for which I dedicated an entire OS9 machine, I have not had any need for Classic support since 2003. It's just a non-issue for me. OS9 was great, but I have long since moved on.

As to Rosetta, that was dropped in 10.7, which is two versions above 10.5.8, which is the latest PowerPC Macs can run. So, Apple dropping Rosetta in Lion does not affect us at all on PowerPC. And really, by that time the 2006 transition was long over. Take out the code, streamiline the OS. If you need Rosetta in Lion you are using a seriously outdated application.

Not being argumentative, just my opinions on the matter.

8. Hughmac macrumors demi-god

Hughmac

Tell me what you were running and for how long to get those temps, and I will try and reproduce tomorrow on my 1.9 iSight with 160GB HDD andf 2.5GB RAM, always running full CPU speed.
    I'm pretty sure mine dosn't get that high though.

Cheers :)

Hugh

9. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Did you remove or reseat the CPU? If you touched the heat sink fresh paste should of been put on.

10. Graeme43 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Graeme43

I still have a 2001 Titanium Powerbook for OS9 games :) Dual boots 9.2.2 and 10.2.8
    I do miss Rosetta though as there was one PowerPC app that still has not been ported over. SpyOSX

It has a X600 Pro so I could try

I was just copying files from my Mac Pro. Using AFP always seems to use a high amount of CPU on all the macs I have here ranging from iBook G3 to MacBook Pro 2.4

Never had to remove CPU

11. Hughmac macrumors demi-god

Hughmac

I don't use AFP but I'll fire her up in a mo and give her some video to process, then report back in an hour or so

Hugh

12. Graeme43 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Graeme43

If u look at the pic, activity monitor in the dock shows cpu maxed out :eek:

13. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

It may be good to repaste the heat sink. Thermal compound has an average life expectancy of 5 years, and less if pushed regularly. However, few people actually change theirs but it greatly helps.

Follow the guide to disable BeamSync (V-Sync) and all animations will seem faster and smoother.

14. Graeme43 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Graeme43

I have never changed mine in any Mac I have owned but I do dust them out like my Mac Pro. I don't have the tool to take out the CPUs so I have no choice but to just leave it. If I had the tool Id upgrade her to 8 core :) its a 2006 model. I have a PowerMac G3 and it has no paste on it at all.... hmm

Seems a bit blasphemous mentioning intel stuff in this PowerPC forum lol

15. MrPilot macrumors 6502

This is cool!

Good job on saving one imac! I fixed an issue with my MBP last week, screen looking just like yours by reflowing the logic board in the oven then reapplied thermal paste.

16. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

I am going to guess you either have a 2011 MBP or the 2007/2008 MBP since they both had graphics issues.

----------

I am saying that changing the paste is a great way to lower temps, as well as taking care of your fans (replace when bearings start to go). Either a 17" or a 20" is a difficult repair to do just for paste, but it may be lucrative to do. Get some paste on that G3, you are asking for trouble with it.

17. Hughmac macrumors demi-god

Hughmac

OK, after a while processing an MP4 to DVD in Toast 10, CPU is at 99-100%, temp up to 70°C.

See attached pics for iStat Pro on startup, and about an hour into processing ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also you can see I've cleaned the screen for the 2nd photo :D

Hugh

18. Graeme43 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Graeme43

I guess 70-72 at max CPU is average then :)

I guess thats what affected the PowerBook G5 series :(

19. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Still seems a little hot to me. Maybe someone with an iSight iMac G5 can chime in? My PowerMac G5 (Way Different I Know) is hovering around 45 c with Leopard WebKit, QuickTime, Spotify, and Temperature Monitor open. Just a point of reference...

20. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

70c does seem hot...maybe it's the isight ver? My Imac G5 1.8GHz rev A (after I redid thermal paste) would stay around 52c.

21. Hughmac macrumors demi-god

Hughmac

If you look at the iStat Pro temps from my above post (taken on an identical machine to the OP), you can see in the photos that even under 100% CPU the temp is stable at about 70°C, and the fans are not running wildly.

I've used my iSight for a number of years as a video processing machine and it has always been so.

I also have another iMac G5, a 1.6GHz, and as a comparison the fans are extremely active and loud. It achieves similar CPU temps under load.

Hugh

22. RedCroissant Suspended

Hello!

Well I gave away my 17" iMac G5 1.9GHz w/ iSight and I can tell you that those temps are normal. It seems like it's hot but once you get used to it and see that those temp levels don't negatively impact the machine (I had mine running 24/7 for weeks at a time for Home sharing, printer sharing, school work, my kids playing games..etc). It was my main machine until I got the 20" iMac G5 1.8GHz (which also ran at around those temps).

23. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

That is one thing that I hate about all in one designs is the fact that they are giant heat sinks. They are always hotter than desktops. Do you have a newer Intel iMac? How is the temps on those?

24. RedCroissant Suspended

LOL on the giant heat sink analogy.

I do actually and the temps hover around 100F mostly. As of right now I have 11 tabs open in Safari, Mail, Textedit, Finder operations working, and iTunes streaming to my AppleTV (of course all of this is in addition to the basic tasks being performed by the machine. So not bad I think!

25. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

That isn't bad at all. What processor is in yours?