Two Mac Minis together with dual monitors.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by newtonapp, Dec 1, 2008.

1. newtonapp macrumors member

Is it possible to network two Mac Mini's together so that they actually work like one, more powerful machine?

I want to setup a dual monitor system. I have a MBP now, which works like a charm, but can't do dual monitors. As far as getting a mac pro, that is past what my budget is able to allow.

Perhaps anyone has any other ideas?

I am looking to spend no more than $1,500.

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

No, you can't, at least not in anyway that would make use of the two of them as one machine in any useful fashion.

How much do used Mac Pros go for? Maybe even a Power Mac G5 if your budget doesn't stretch.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

DEFINITELY go for the used Mac Pro over the PowerMac G5. One Mac Mini is faster than the best G5 out there.

4. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

True, but you won't do 2 screens easily and you can put a shed load more RAM/hard disk in a Power Mac. Just depends on your needs.

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

A valid point. There's always Matrox, though! :p

6. newtonapp thread starter macrumors member

If I got a G5 I'd feel like I downgraded too much. I'd feel like I wasted my money on something that is outdated. I am checking out some used Mac Pros on eBay though. I really hate spending the whole $1,500 - it's my highest absolute price, but I'll spend it if I really have to.

Sucks to hear that two Mac Minis can't be networked like that...

7. tompon1923 macrumors 6502

tompon1923

hmm, Check out synergy if you want.
    It allows you to use 1 keyboard and mouse with 2 or more computers over your network. The only thing you can't do is drag things from screen to screen.

8. dazzer21 macrumors 6502

Whay can't a MacBook Pro do 2 screens (I'm assuming we're talking standard extended desktop mode?). My 400Mhz Powerbook G4 can do it. I take it that you're talking about something different. I'll leave now...

9. newtonapp thread starter macrumors member

Interesting solution. I am actually looking to run a few applications at the same time, hence the need for the dual monitors. I know, my requirements are rather specific.

I wish there was a way to network Mac Minis in a cluster/blade network (if my terminology is correct).

10. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Even if you could it still wouldn't work as you seem to want it to. You can't just take two Mini's, slap them together and have the power of an MP. Applications that work across clusters have to be written with that in mind, you can't just take bunch of servers, cluster them and bang an app on it expecting in to be x amount of times faster because of it.

ALL Synergy does is share a keyboard and mouse between two systems, nothing more. Okay, it can share clipboard too, but that's your lot.

11. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

It works for software developers (XCode can use other machines nearby, and some developers have been using stacks of four MacMinis before the MacPro was released). There are probably ways to use multiple Macs for rendering, but as you say, that needs to be checked before anyone buys multiple machines.

12. tsice19 macrumors 6502a

tsice19

13. durija macrumors 6502

Would an iMac give you enough zing? It has a monitor, and you can easily connect another. They start at $1200 (refurbs for less), about the cost of two Minis.

14. newtonapp thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I could do that, but then it's two different monitors. Would give me headaches.

Refurb Mac Pro shopping here I come...