Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexjholland

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
System Font Adjust
I know I can change my font in Safari and on desktop icons, but the font size for things like bookmarks and system text really is too small. I have decent eyesight - only using glasses for reading - but regularly have to lean forwards to read system fonts.

Hardly the slick experience Apple aspires to.

This isn't cool. It isn't comfortable. It isn't what I bought a 27" iMac for; and it's something Windows deals with nicely - you can switch all system fonts to 125% and even 150%

Print Select
The inability, within Safari, to select text for print is unforgivable. Finding potential clients in my sales job necessitates scouring websites and printing details relevant to our products.

Windows lets me do this. OSX doesn't. Instead, I have to keep pasting text into Pages to print out.

Again, hardly the elegance or efficiency Apple aspires to.

In fact, even when I'm using Safari for Windows at work (so it syncs with MobileMe), this function is disabled. Almost as if Apple have gone out of their way to do this!

These two things irritate me whilst using OSX on an almost daily basis and are both happily taken care of in Windows 7.

So. Think Apple will do anything about them soon?

igucl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2003
I wouldn't hold my breath.

When it comes to a conflict between aesthetics and practicality, Apple always leans toward aesthetics.

However, there is a zoom feature under the "Universal Access" panel of system preferences. Have a look; it may fit your needs.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
You don't need to go to Universal Access, necessarily. Lion should by default have the zoom feature enabled.

Hold down the control key while scrolling up/down.

rodman109110

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2007
The system font issue should be fixed when apple implements Resolution Independence. I'm not 100% on how it works but it seems that it will do what you want.

igucl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2003
They've been talking about resolution independence for years. Don't count on it anytime soon.

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008
Print Select
The inability, within Safari, to select text for print is unforgivable. Finding potential clients in my sales job necessitates scouring websites and printing details relevant to our products.

Windows lets me do this. OSX doesn't. Instead, I have to keep pasting text into Pages to print out.

Firefox will let you print selected text on a Mac.

interrobang

macrumors 6502
May 25, 2011
the rumor is that Apple will eventually ship a "retina display" on Macs that is exactly twice the resolution of the screen DPI. So until that happens, we will not be getting resolution independence.

The RE scaling that has been available since 10.4 to developers looks pretty crappy with most applications. The assumption is that Steve Jobs is not happy with the way scaled RE looks with graphics and icons in existing apps, so he's waiting until exact 2X pixel doubling is practical on the display.

Meanwhile, Windows does a pretty good job right now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.