Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple suppliers will begin production of two new fourth-generation AirPods models in May, according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman. Based on this production timeframe, he expects the headphones to be released in September or October.

airpods-3-orange.jpg

Gurman expects both fourth-generation AirPods models to feature a new design with better fit, improved sound quality, and an updated charging case with a USB-C port. The higher-end ones will also feature active noise cancellation and a speaker in the charging case that can play a sound for Find My location tracking, he said.

Apple plans to discontinue the second-generation and third-generation AirPods after launching the two fourth-generation models, he previously said.

Gurman does not expect new AirPods Pro to launch until next year at the earliest, but he said the current models will get a new hearing aid mode with iOS 18. He added that Apple is also working on a hearing test feature for AirPods.

Article Link: Two New AirPods 4 Models Expected to Launch in September or October

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
My AirPod Pro 2s have reached end of (battery) life, holding charge for very little time. They seemed normal one day but then near dead the next... coinciding with that last firmware update, but I'll try to assume that that was only coincidence.

With rumors of this 4th generation coming, I thought I'd try some $20 "cheapies" with very good ratings. I went in with lowwwwwwwww expectations due to them being sooooooooo much cheaper. So far- now a full month into their use- I'm delighted with them. Sound is at least as good to my ears, microphones work just as well, the charge percentage LED is- IMO- far superior to the green-amber dot approach, fit seems as good, size & weight seems about the same and they work perfectly fine with my Apple stuff.

I'm still assuming there is some catch coming, but at $20 instead of about $160-$180, I'll ride these until the 4s arrive and see how things are after months of use and a number of charge cycles. If they don't significantly falter by then, I don't think I'll pay the Apple (super?) Premium for the 4s.

Even if it turns out that cheap price = cheap battery that wears out in maybe a year, $20/yr is a LOT less than $160+ every 2.5 years. At a month in, no good judgement can be fully made... but so far, so very good.

Last edited:

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
Gurman expects both fourth-generation AirPods models to feature a new design with better fit, improved sound quality, and an updated charging case with a USB-C port. The higher-end ones will also feature active noise cancellation and a speaker in the charging case that can play a sound for Find My location tracking, he said.
Waaait. So two non-Pro AirPods models, one without ANC and another with ANC?

Does that mean Pro will be discontinued or it will evolve with a new design and more advanced features to follow?

Supercyborgninja

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2022
Honestly, AirPods Pro are my least favorite investment. I got them replaced and even then ppl have a hard time hearing me on the mic. Beyond frustrating to use. Convenient? Yes but not for calls.

mrgrdn

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2024
I'm curious to see what the third generation of AirPods Pro can do. I've had mine for two years now, and they've proven to be really good. I never thought I'd be so impressed. I've tried numerous headphones, on-ear, in-ear, and so on, but none have been as good as the AirPods Pro. They're indispensable at work, and especially the 3D audio is impressive, whether it's listening to music or watching movies on the Apple TV in the evenings. These headphones are worth every damn penny.

phrehdd

macrumors 601
Oct 25, 2008
Yes, do what should have come long ago - USB C, and try something no so novel but long gone - be innovative. Find a way to give us lossless audio. The rest is fluff.

DaPhox

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2019
Yes, do what should have come long ago - USB C, and try something no so novel but long gone - be innovative. Find a way to give us lossless audio. The rest is fluff.
Lossless in inear headphones?

jwdsail

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2004

Apple suppliers will begin production of two new fourth-generation AirPods models in May, according to Bloomberg's Mark Gurman. Based on this production timeframe, he expects the headphones to be released in September or October.

airpods-3-orange.jpg

Apple plans to discontinue the second-generation and third-generation AirPods after launching the two fourth-generation models, he previously said.

Gurman does not expect new AirPods Pro to launch until next year at the earliest, but he said the current models will get a new hearing aid mode with iOS 18. He added that Apple is also working on a hearing test feature for AirPods.

Article Link: Two New AirPods 4 Models Expected to Launch in September or October

I've been happy with my AirPod Pros. First wireless earphones/earpieces I've ever owned to not die after 3 months or less. Got them on sale and have been a good value (for me) at that price. I'd still like the option of a flanged (earplug) tip, that would work as both earphone and earplug at the racetrack...

Hoping Gurman is wrong, and we'll see both updates to both the AirPods and the Pros this year.

That would allow the new Pros to be on sale early next year, when I suspect I'll be ready to replaces my current Pros.

Oh well.

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Hmm, time to stock up on 2nd gen AirPods. These are my “sleeping” airpods since they’re the only ones with stems thin enough to wear comfortably when my ear is on the pillow. My getting a good nights sleep is dependent on these!
Yeah ive been using/stocking up on an extra set of the Gen 2 for sleeping as well they’re super comfortable and fit my ears nearly perfect including creating a partial seal for better bass. The Gen 3 and pros are too big and hurt my ears. It’s a fairly common issue with the upper part of the outer ear casing people discomfort due to the giant bulbous design of the Gen 3 and pros

jonnyb098

macrumors 68040
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
The 2nd Gen AirPods without silicon tip are the only ones that fit. I’ve had the 3rd Gen but was to big and fell off. I hope the 4th gen goes back to the same size as the 2nd gen.
Honestly after 8 years they can easily fit new tech in the smaller Gen2. I’m wondering if they’ll have a smaller and larger size. The gen 3 are kind of a joke because if you make them larger of course you’ll have better bass since it seals your ear up

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
lossless support has not enough bandwidth for wireless headsets ...we need better BT
So dont expect lossless support for at least 3-4 years
There is working wireless lossless now with aptX Lossless. It uses up to 1 Mbps with lossless compression of 44.1 or 48 kHz 16-bit. It is implemented by the Snapdragon 8xx SoCs. Bluetooth 5 allows for 2 Mbps raw, so 1 Mbps is realistic in practice under good RF conditions. CD quality is 1.2 Mbps uncompressed, so under 1 Mbps with lossless compression is also realistic.

Here is a list of products supporting aptX Lossless: https://www.aptx.com/product-listin...x]=2024/03/17&sort_by=created&sort_order=DESC

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.