Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Ahead of the launch of the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus, mobile app marketing platform Fiksu saw just two new iPhones in its data logs in July, casting doubt on this morning's rumors suggesting an iPhone 6c launch is still a possibility.

Last month, Fisku began seeing two unknown iPhone models in its logs, with the identifiers "iphone8,1" and "iphone8,2," which likely correspond to the next-generation 4.7-inch iPhone and the next-generation larger-screened 5.5-inch iPhone, expected to be called the "iPhone 6s" and the "iPhone 6s Plus," respectively. The current iPhone 6 Plus is "iphone7,1," while the iPhone 6 "iphone 7,2."

Fiksu's data includes 87 unique "iphone 8,1" devices and 67 unique "iPhone 8,2" devices, with no hints of a third unidentified model that might represent the rumored smaller-screened iPhone 6c, suggesting such a device is not being tested. While the absence of a third iPhone model in Fiksu's data does not entirely rule out the possibility of an iPhone 6c launch, when combined with previous rumors, the release of such a device alongside the iPhone 6s and the 6s Plus seems unlikely.

Rumors indicate that while Apple did initially consider launching a 4-inch iPhone 6c in 2015, those plans were scrapped due to concerns the device could cannibalize sales of the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus, which Apple wants to offer as a lower-cost solution when the next-generation iPhones are released. Other rumors have suggested the iPhone 6c was never intended for 2015, with Apple perhaps planning to launch a smaller-screened phone in 2016.

Despite rumors that have seemingly ruled out an iPhone 6c launch, well-known mobile phone leaker Evan Blass or @evleaks sent out a tweet last night hinting that Apple might still release an iPhone 6c. "Sounds like iPhone 6s, 6s Plus, and 6c will all arrive concurrently," he wrote, without providing additional information.

According to Fiksu's data, the "iphone8,1" and "iphone8,2" in its logs are using a wide range of apps, including travel, games, and lifestyle apps. While the majority of usage is coming from the US, the site has also seen hits from Germany and Brazil.

Apple is expected to launch its next-generation iPhones in September, likely on September 9. The iPhone event may also see the debut of new iPads and it is said to include the new Apple TV.

Article Link: Two New iPhones Spotted in Analytics Data Cast Doubt on Possible iPhone 6c Launch

Reactions: V.K.

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
Aesthetically, I prefer the uniform rear shell to the fragmented and antenna-banded iP6; it would be really nice if they could make a plastic back similar in size to the 6 and in less garish colors. A completely black iP6-sized phone with a plastic back would be interesting:

iP6s-Plastic.gif

Last edited:

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
I wouldn't mind a 6C if the specs weren't hobbled. I think a 4 inch screen is a good size, but I need upgraded storage options.

On the other hand, the 5C wasn't a smaller screen than the 5S.. Maybe the 6C would simply be a lower priced option than the 6S without a smaller screen?

That's exactly the way they played the 5C
I'm open to arguments as to why not.

Reactions: xerexes1 and V.K.

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
I think i'm probably the only person on the forum that would downgrade their iPhone 6 for a 4 inch screen again. They said id get use to it, I haven't - I still think its too big and unnecessary - and now with my Apple Watch I barely look at the phone screen. Id really like something though with the same power as the 6S but in a smaller thinner size...to throw in my lack of what everyone else wants, id even take 2 hours less battery for the thinnest phone ever, I hate having crap in my pockets and my iPhone 6 is the biggest thing there, I find it annoying. I also think its the ugliest phone Jony has designed and i've had everyone since the first iPhone - the 3G and 3GS did feel a hell of a lot less "premium" than the original iPhone though.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
6c isn't happening , it cheapens the Apple brand

It won't be any different than what Apple does with the Mac line. I think Apple can do the same with iPhone now that they have 3 different screen sizes and be very successful at growing share, revenue and profits.

The iPhone 6C should have the same innards and similar design as the 6 but use the 4" screen and the 5S's camera and sell for $449.

This may lead to some cannibalization and lower ASP, but I'd bet the increased volume will more than make up for that.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
I think i'm probably the only person on the forum that would downgrade their iPhone 6 for a 4 inch screen again. They said id get use to it, I haven't - I still think its too big and unnecessary - and now with my Apple Watch I barely look at the phone screen. Id really like something though with the same power as the 6S but in a smaller thinner size...to throw in my lack of what everyone else wants, id even take 2 hours less battery for the thinnest phone ever, I hate having crap in my pockets and my iPhone 6 is the biggest thing there, I find it annoying. I also think its the ugliest phone Jony has designed and i've had everyone since the first iPhone - the 3G and 3GS did feel a hell of a lot less "premium" than the original iPhone though.

Really? Every time I see an iPhone 6 in the wild, I'm like "damn, that's sexy!" And this is coming from someone who has one lol.

Reactions: Jstuts5797

AdamskiUK

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2011
I wouldn't mind a 6C if the specs weren't hobbled. I think a 4 inch screen is a good size, but I need upgraded storage options.

On the other hand, the 5C wasn't a smaller screen than the 5S.. Maybe the 6C would simply be a lower priced option than the 6S without a smaller screen?

That's exactly the way they played the 5C
I'm open to arguments as to why not.

Hobbled? If they released the 6C, it would have the same specs as the 6, probably with 16, 32 and 64GB storage options. I would imagine they would price the 64GB option equally to the 16GB 6S, roughly.

As it is, I suspect that we won't see a 6C this year. A smarter option would be to introduce a 6C alongside the 7, replacing the 6 (and its more expensive body) with 6/6S internals and Force Touch capacity, to drive that functionality with a lower price-point in a stagnating market. I also think that they'll totally abandon the 4" market because you can't have that kind of discrepancy in your line-up. If you want a budget smartphone like the C-range, you can't take away a major selling feature like the 4.7" screen. They also have to be mindful of emerging markets, such as China, demanding bigger phones.

That means that the only sensible way to keep a 4" phone on the market is to continue supporting the 5S for a while and then add a new letter to the line-up, alongside the S and the C.

Reactions: Four oF NINE

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
So a mobile app marketing platform determines what phone models we're going to see this fall?

Benjamin Frost

Suspended
May 9, 2015
London, England
It's my humble opinion that losing the 4" flagship iPhone is a grave mistake, despite the huge iPhone 6 sales.

I maintain that the bulk of the 6 and 6 Plus sales is due to new markets (particularly Asian with their need for big screens due to their language) and demand from those who can't afford an iPad and see the large iPhone as a compromise.

If Apple get rid of the bezels, they can put a 4.5" or so screen on the 5s body, which would make the iPhone sweet. But I think the 5s is the largest optimal form factor; any wider, and it becomes tricky reaching to the corners.

I think Apple should currently offer a 4", 4.7" and 5.5" iPhone, a 7.9", 9.7" and 13" iPad, an 11", 13", 15" and 17" laptop and a 21", 24", 27" and 34" iMac, as well as a 34" Thunderbolt Retina display for the Mac Pro.

Four oF NINE

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2011
Hell's Kitchen
Another TC failure. 5C, maps, the Forstall debacle, Beats aquisition, Ahrendts, Apple Watch, Apple Music and now shares taking a nosedive. RIP Steve

Maps isn't a failure. Apple Maps is great, I use it all the time. iPhone 5C wasn't a failure. iPhone 5C sold millions. Apple Watch isn't a failure, it has 80% of the market in 90 days. Forstall left, but how is it a failure? Executives come and go all the time at big corporations. Ahrendts is a failure? How so?

Your post is trollish and fails to intersect with reality.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.