Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
And what ever happened to Apple being the market leaders - copying Samsung AGAIN!

Not really… if they were to copy Samsung, they would release a new phone every other week with a different size and configuration. Then stop supporting the old phones within a year or two. That would be copying. :)

At least Apple is seeing that the market wants a bigger screen and is responding. Samsung is not the only one with a bigger screen.

mabhatter

macrumors 65816
Jan 3, 2009
The Phablet model: iMac Mini!

iPhab Pro! It's gonna be 12.9" AND a phone too! Then they'll add an iPhab mini at 8" that's a phone too...

Come on Apple, you can win this phone size thing once and for all! They need to float a rumor and demos of a 17" iPhab just to mess with folk.

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
I know it's WSJ, but I still find this plan unlikely. I feel like they will pick one size and go with it.

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011
I've got to admit, as much as we say Samsung copies Apple, these rumoured screen sizes are reminiscent of something Samsung introduced a long time ago. I love Apple to pieces anyway and anything Samsung can do, Apple can do better. For one, I am thoroughly looking forward to having a big phone! I deliberately went for an iPad Air this year because I suspected the iPhone would be getting bigger and would make the iPad mini less useful - for me.

So there shouldn't be any problem if samsung does it better, right? (ex: osx..maybe making it more improved and smoothed.)

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
After testing a Windows phone 8 (HTC 8X, which has a 4.5 inch screen I think), I see your point. One thing I noticed is that the bigger screen forced me to hold the phone differently when using one hand, so rather than having my four fingers cover the back of the phone (like the picture below), I adjusted my grip to only hold it 'halfway', which gave my thumb much more room to navigate the screen even with one grip.

that ad always baffles me, ive never seen anyone hold their phone like that. id get cramps in my hand after 1 minute lol i hold it with both hands and type with both thumbs most of the times but again thats just personal experience and obvs doesnt give much of an insight

More wothless rumors. And there not even from a reliable source.

Worthless

i love your sarcasm :) it was sarcasm right?

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012
"With Tim Cook as CEO, everything is possible."

Cook may have an engineering degree BUT he's a bean counter at heart!

jkrarup

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2011
Remember the "Brick"

Are we going back to the old days of the cellphone where the phone was the size of a brick? Fortunately, since then cellphones became smaller and smaller until they fit into the palm of you hand and were easy to carry in your shirt or pants pocket.

Now is the trend to revert back to the brick? I can understand that people want larger screens for games or videos but come on! This is a cellphone/smartphone!

Apple could appease this "bigger is better" trend by just adding the Phone app to the Ipad Mini or if really want to "go REAL big" to the IPad Air? Then you wouldn't have any size envy. Repackage and rename?

:):):)

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007
Wow! Can't wait for a massive screen! The ONE thing I envy of Android. But, dropping the 5c already? Maybe Apple think it was a mistake?

Bring on the bigger iPhones!

I really like the 5c, it is quite well made. I hope they don't end the line.

A larger screen is not needed. I didn't want the iPhone 5 screen size either. The current screen size is already awkward and easy to drop if carrying lots of things. (and no, I don't have small hands, and yes, I do have pockets but I also need to carry my phone in hand often)

A cellphone should be easily pocketable.

Perhaps it's time to consider the possibility that your personal preferences are not only not universal, they aren't even close to being a majority.

iPhone 5 and 5s have outsold their predecessors by a large margin and even larger phones from other manufacturers have sold even better.

Instead of thinking you're the norm, think of yourself as the elite. The downside, of course, is that Apple doesn't make products for the elite. They like making things they can sell in the millions.

dannyyankou

macrumors G5
Mar 2, 2012
Westchester, NY
So now we'll have a 3.5 inch phone, 4 inch phone, 4.5 inch phone, and 5 inch phone? Developers are gonna have their hands full.

BTW, I'm getting the 4.5 inch one.

betoarredondo

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2011
What I really want to see is how they will take advantage of the new screen area. I hope they just do not make a bigger screen to make the same things in much more space, but to make new things and enhance the user experience. Time (or maybe Tim :rolleyes:;)) will tell.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Finally a reasonably accurate rumor from the one source known to be directly linked to Apple for years. The Journal is where Apple "leaks" their rumors or trial balloons to gauge public acceptance.

If true, it proves Apples finally realizing they cannot continue to champion such a cramped tiny display that's so antiquated. They'll laugh all the way to the bank with the massive profits that will result from finally releasing a proper size display that's at least two years overdue.
How do you define "proper size display"?

derbladerunner

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2005
More wothless rumors. And there not even from a reliable source.

Worthless

Do you know the batting average of the WSJ reporters involved in this story?

When these reporters used the quote "people familiar with the situation" they were correct in the past.

The WSJ might have been wrong when quoting third-party (Wall Street) analysts, but this is their own, original reporting.

I would like to see links where the WSJ had been wrong after having used that quote for sources in their stories. I don't recall a single indicent.

Bloomberg and WSJ have the best rumor hit rate on original Apple reporting in my experience - after the old "ThinkSecret" website was closed down (old timers may remember) following threats from Apple Legal.

PS: That said, the two larger phones might be variants used for tests and Apple may decide on one size, see my earlier comment.

Last edited:

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Apple by all means differentiate your phones by screen size but please GOD don't differentiate their performance by it: I don't WANT a +5" screen; I do want a flagship phone with all the same bells and whistles.

Yeah, that still gets me with the MBP. They have in the past dumbed down the 13" model (still no quad core, no discrete graphics) in favor of the 15". I prefer the 13" form factor and even at the same price for the same other specs I would chose it over the 15".

LastQuadrant

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2013
And what ever happened to Apple being the market leaders - copying Samsung AGAIN!

Screen size is copying? Come on. Offering different screen sizes is inevitable.

The reasons why Apple didn't do it sooner is more related to screen quality, battery/power requirements, cost, and processing.

Samsung uses the AMOLED technology which Apple stays away from due to AMOLED doesn't hold it's color very well. The disadvantages outweigh the advantages from Apple's perspective.

Now, there are newer screen technologies that Apple can use which don't require as much power as the older screen technology. Plus then there is a cost issue and Apple needs to keep their profit margins where they are. The problem with the Android market is their margins are awful and they can't survive with low margins. Something we don't have as much insight on.

It's not widely known, but since the introduction of Android smartphones, there have been companies that have either sold off or dropped making Android products completely due to lack of profits/sales.

Here is a site that goes through every company and if you investigate, many companies have actually dropped out of the Android (tablet and/or smartphone) market and they've gone out quietly as to not bring much attention that there really is only one Android mfg that actually makes a profit, but Samsung may have profit erosion this year because they are selling mostly cheap phones.

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/manufacturers

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I know it's WSJ, but I still find this plan unlikely. I feel like they will pick one size and go with it.

I Call BS on this mostly because it's coming out two days before Apple's quarterly earnings call.

WhoDaKat

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
God if they have the bigger model as the flagship I will be ****ing mad

I couldn't agree more. I do NOT want a bigger phone!!!!! I mock people with huge phones! If they want to turn the 5C into a phablet, be my guest, but leave the flagship where it it. I know there are 10 million 20 something geeks that are dying for a giant iPhone, but they are not the majority of Apple buyers!

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
For all those complaining 4.5-5" is too big and 4" is perfect, seriously? have you ever used a galaxy s3 or s4? android aside the screen big that big is perfect text is much nicer to read!! i for one think 4.99" on the s4 is a great size any bigger would be too big to fit in a pocket. Theres also those who claim they wont be able to reach the top corner? serously are you elfs or something lol. Rock on iphone 6!

Come on, you and I both know, that people only don't like a larger screen as Apple don't make one.

Let the larger screen come, give it a year or 2 and then ask how many people feel the screen size it wrong

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.