two numbers, two carriers, one 5s

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Zo6, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Zo6 macrumors member

Could you have a phone number with Verizon on a 5s and another number with ATT and just put ATT sim in to switch back and forth? I know that it would mean having two plans to pay for. I want this to have good coverage in the rural area that I travel

2. solo118 macrumors 65816

Not that I know of.

Best bet even though it doesnt sound as good, would be setting up a VOIP app and use wifi (if available) in those bad service areas.

3. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

4. Ludatyk macrumors 65816

Ludatyk

Yes, you can.

But before you decide to do it.. It's best to pick up a iPhone 5s configured to Verizon then go get a SIM card with AT&T.

I had a iPhone 5 through Craigslist... I was under the impression that the iPhone was an unlocked AT&T iPhone, the buyer used his T-Mobile SIM card for use.

I then... put a AT&T SIM card and was wondering why LTE wasn't showing in the status bar. But when I spoke with a AT&T representative they told me it was a Verizon iPhone and it wasn't compatible with their LTE bands.

So, yes... it can be used. But Verizon can be very sketchy with activating devices to their network, so it's best to pick up through Verizon.

5. 617aircav Suspended

I don't believe you can. I've seen dual sim phones and they display both carrier signal at the same time. The iphone is not designed to do that. If it were possible there would be news on this all over the web.

6. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

That is b.c verizon makes you buy a phone from them. I would think the situation you just mentioned would work. I could easily pop an ATT sim or t-mobile SIM into an unlocked iphone and get service using either one.

7. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

I was under the impression that the Verizon 5S worked on all bands. If that's the case, then yeah all you'd need to do is swap SIMs and update your network settings.

8. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

It just has to be a Verizon 5S though.

I wouldn't recommend doing this though. Seems like a waste of money. But then again, your money. So have fun. :)

9. ugcop macrumors 6502a

ugcop

Personally if you are just worried about communications when you go to a rural area I would just get a dumb phone to carry along on those trips.

In opposition to current thinking a person survives quite well when disconnected from the net.

10. saintsfan1970 macrumors member

saintsfan1970

I'm confused...Verizon phones don't use SIM cards so how would you use your AT&T one?

11. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

The iphone has a sim trey on the verizon version.

12. mlmwalt macrumors 6502a

VZ iPhones have SIM trays. VZ phones in general won't work on GSM in the US. But will elsewhere.

13. 617aircav Suspended

Actually they do.

14. CEmajr macrumors 601

Yes you can do this as long as you have the Verizon model 5S. I used to do it occasionally between T-Mobile and Verizon when I had both services.

15. kevroc macrumors 6502

Yes, you can. I have a Verizon iPhone 5s and don't use Verizon, but switch between AT&T and T-Mobile sims. The only hassle is having to set up voicemail every time you switch sims. It seems like I have to do that every time. Other than that it's VERY easy. Before you switch sims, you can also call forward one number to the other to simplify incoming calls, or use something like google voice so you have one incoming number that people use.

16. Zo6 thread starter macrumors member

It is an Verizon 5s that I bought at full price at bestbuy, but never activated with Verizon. I put an ATT sim in and have been using it now for 4 months. So if I pull the ATT sim out and put the Verizon sim that came with it new then could I activate it with Verizon? If that works, then I could just put my att sim in to switch back?

17. CEmajr macrumors 601

Yes that's correct

18. 869639 macrumors 6502

There are some great threads on this forum answering these questions I think the mods should make one of them a sticky as this question is something everyone needs to get educated regarding.

But yes, Verizon uses SIM card to authenticate LTE access and to allow roaming on international networks.

19. old-wiz macrumors G3

I would think that switching the sim cards back and forth frequently would be a good way to break the trey.

20. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Yes, it can be done. The Verizon iPhones have come fully factory unlocked since the iPhone 5 because any device Verizon sells with LTE has to be unlocked. This is because of the bands they operate on. Those bands are covered by an FCC rule that all devices used on those bands must be unlocked. (Note: VZW iPhone 5 will only work with VZWs LTE. Other carriers' LTE probably won't work. 5S should be fine)

You must however get the Verizon iPhone to do this. TMK, you cannot activate another carrier's iPhone on VZWs network (full priced unlocked model included). Of couse, you may have to update your APNs depending on your new network.

I always thought VZW was better in rual areas then ATT. Of course it varies by state, but I thought VZW was still better.

21. JackieInCo macrumors 601

That's right. They have SIM cards just like the new iPads do. Every iPad Air and Retina Mini can work on Verizon as well as AT&T and T-Mobile just by swapping SIM cards.

The first Verizon iPhone to have a SIM card was the 4S.

----------

Not at all.

22. Zo6 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the good answers! Verizon is better in the rural areas, but I have a grandfathered ATT unlimited data plan Im not quit ready to give up. So this was an idea to still have service where att doesn't in my area. Any other good ideas are sure welcome!

23. kevroc macrumors 6502

I bought a cheap flip phone for Verizon prepaid and used that when I was out of AT&T service. If you need data and all that then swapping sims is a good way to go, but if you just need voice then check out just getting a dumb phone.

You could also get a Verizon pre-paid mifi/hotspot, then just connect to it from your AT&T iPhone and have all the data you need and use a voip app for phone calls.

24. iamMacPerson macrumors 68030

iamMacPerson

Yes but the 4S doesn't actually use the SIM. It has the Verizon logo, but its a dummy SIM. Plus, the Verizon 4S' SIM tray is only for International use, which Verizon still needs to unlock it for. In the US, it only works on Verizon.

The 5, 5C, and 5S are different. All of the Verizon versions of these will work on other GSM networks, both inside and outside the US. Your VPN might need to be updated, and LTE might not work (5 and possibly the 5C only), but it can be used elsewhere.