Two REAL problems with Smart Covers

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by medelste, Mar 13, 2011.

1. medelste macrumors newbie

Heads up: I bought a red leather smart cover yesterday.

1)
    When I tried it out, the magnets on the metal binding appeared to have been polarized wrong, and it would spin around so the metal of the smart cover would smack against the metal of the iPad, which would probably cause scratched over time. Only the side of the smart cover that's covered in thin rubberized film is supposed to touch the metal of the iPad. Otherwise it functioned okay, so look closely to be sure the right side of it attaches to your iPad.

I exchanged it my local Apple store today, and the replacement works properly, it does not have the same defect.

2)
    The salesman at the Apple store warned me that he just had someone else return the red leather smart cover due to a crack that appeared in the leather, revealing the bright white material beneath the red "paint". So if you get a dark colored smart cover, like the red, and it gets scratched or cracked, expect some white lines to appear. He had not heard the same complaint with the poly ones, but it's only been a day.

Otherwise, it's pretty handy!

2. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Tell me about it. My MacBook Pro's magnetic latch is so strong you need to use both hands to open the lid. Apple definitely has some issues with those magnets.

3. handheldgames macrumors 6502a

handheldgames

4. RadicalxEdward macrumors 6502

RadicalxEdward

It's a chemical dye they use when they want stronger colors not "paint" really.