two shades during start up

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by bmereg, Oct 9, 2011.

1. bmereg macrumors newbie

just upgraded from snow leopard to lion on my mid2010 MacBook (2.4 GHz Core2Duo, 4 GB RAM). So far, so good, no real speed increases or decreases, except for Safari seems faster.

One complaint, this may seem as nitpicking, is the two startup screens with different shades of gray. during startup, there's an initial gray apple screen (snow leopard?), then just before the desktop comes up, it flickers to another startup screen thats a different shade (lion?).

Its obviously just a visual detail, but it reminds me of something Microsoft would do with a Windows upgrade, i.e. unpolished. It makes me feel like my computers more outdated than it is. I enjoy all-that-is-Apple for their attention to detail. Would this be because my original BIOS was created with Snow Leopard? I remember my old PowerBook G4 doing something similar after I upgraded to Leopard.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's perfectly normal. It does the same thing on Snow Leopard and Leopard, with different shades of grey and blue. You're right; it is nitpicking.

3. baryon macrumors 68040

baryon

This has always been the case with Snow Leopard and Leopard as well, it's totally normal. While the computer boots, graphics drivers and color spaces get loaded, so the screen will inevitably look different before and after those drivers load. The EFI needs to load the OS, and the OS uses a different color space to the EFI as well, so there is also a change in color between the two.

If you think this is what Microsoft would do, watch a PC boot: You a first greeted with a pixelated logo of your computer manufacturer, then a blinking cursor on a black screen, then some scrolling DOS text, then a choppy fade of a pixellated Windows logo with a choppy animation which freezes at some point, then the screen abruptly switches to the login screen. Once you log in, your computer goes through another 3 changes in color as the graphics drivers load.

On a Mac all you see is 2-3 different shades of grey and a non-pixellated Apple logo while you boot.

PS: You need to boot Windows every day, while you only boot a Mac every once in a while, which just adds to how much more you see scrolling DOS text on a PC.