Two women pass the Ranger progam

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by JamesMike, Aug 17, 2015.

1. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

2. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

3. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

Hooah! Good for them. I would never even have made the attempt. PT was challenge enough!

4. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I failed twice that makes these ladies harder than me :D

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Well, it takes a big man to admit that….

Nevertheless, I get the sense that this is a ferociously tough course and that it is exceptionally difficult for men, let alone (highly motivated women) to pass it.

Well done you, for trying (twice) and superbly well down to the pair of women who made it. Their determination, fitness, and tenacity must have been very impressive.

6. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I can make light of it now, but that call 15 years ago to my old man (Naval Special Warfare and teacher at West Point) telling him that I didn't want to recycle again was a bit hard. It's nice to make peace with both yourself and the expectations you didn't live up to.

7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Ah. This is something I have seen play out quite a number of times.

A situation where a father who had done exceptionally well professionally in his own career (as a diplomat, an academic or career military officer, or something of the sort, - and I have known those three examples personally - often scaling and soaring through social class barriers as well), found it very difficult to accept that his son was firstly, a completely different human being, with a different character and aptitudes and ambitions, perhaps, - even though the son often started out trying to please the father - and secondly, that the son would not (and could not) experience the same, almost effortless success, that the father had experienced in his field of endeavour.

Yes, I can imagine that making that call was hard. However, these fathers have to come to terms with the fact that their sons are not clones, but humans with their own aspirations and aptitudes - and eventually, ambitions, too.

8. Ulenspiegel macrumors 68020

Ulenspiegel

I hear you. Followed the steps, though have never been forced to. I guess it just got into my blood. I don't regret it.

Respect to the ladies who passed the Rangers Program!

9. Scepticalscribe, Aug 18, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2015

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Furthermore, precisely because those fathers had smashed through class barriers during their professional career, as well as having been extraordinarily gifted in their profession, they think - with some justification - that the sons don't have to fight these battles, because they have been born into a better off world, a far less competitive environment, and been gifted opportunities by virtue of the father's achievements.

Actually, precisely because the son will not have to fight the social class battles, - he will have been born into a better and more advantageous world - this can mean that the fathers understand
    even less that the son simply cannot replicate the father's success.

I knew (and was pretty friendly with) several sons from such backgrounds at university; indeed, I got to know the fathers, too, driven, ambitious, successful individuals who only tended to mellow very late in life.

10. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

No shame there dude. I know quite a few hard chargers that didn't make it out of week one. Ate up ankles and knees being the two biggest reasons.

As for the ladies, anyone that can make it through without modified standards is a BAMF in my book.

11. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Amen to that....

Congrats to these two and the fact they didn't modify anything makes it that much more impressive! Nothing but respect and admiration for these two!

12. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Has this really not been accomplished before now?

13. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

It hasn't, no, because it wasn't until recent (read: over the couple of years) that women were even allowed to enter the ranger program.

I think that this Friday, along with the 87-year old lady that is graduating college at the end of the week, is going to be a great day.

BL.

14. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Not just that there were only certain MOS's for enlisted that were able try. I don't know if the same applied to officer branches maybe one the current or former O's will chime in.

15. JamesMike thread starter macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

16. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

17. JamesMike thread starter macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

Yes it was. Not sure why they have airborne as a qualification now.

18. tshrimp macrumors 6502

tshrimp

This is great news. I enjoy hearing these things. As long as they do not change the qualifications for the Ranger program, I am all for opening it up. Surprised it wasn't done sooner.

19. Huntn Suspended

Huntn

Yeah, well when I went through AOCS (Naval Aviation Officer Candidate School) the mean drill instructors marched us around Pensacola NAS with our overflowing duffle bags until we all most dropped! :D

Seriously, kudos to them!

20. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

Kudos to them and everyone who makes it through. Great article and news.

21. 63dot, Aug 22, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2015

63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Very impressive and it's about time army allowed women in Rangers, but still have to open up 75th and Delta.

But if and when they are 75th or green beret, it should never be revealed if they go Delta if US army is still insisting they (Delta) don't exist.