Typing in landscape on the iPad mini

Discussion in 'iPad' started by i0Nic, Oct 27, 2012.

1. i0Nic macrumors 65816

What do you think typing will be like on the mini particularly in landscape?

I am thinking of selling my iPad 3 for the mini, but I do use the ipad a lot for typing and taking notes at work. If it's going to be unusable for this then I'll have to rethink.

I have smaller hands/fingers so I'm hoping it will work out. Have any hands on videos or reviews made mention of this?

2. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

I think the best option would be to go to a store on the 2nd and try it out. There would be plenty available I bet.

3. dmelgar macrumors 68000

4. i0Nic thread starter macrumors 65816

Because of the smaller display therefore a smaller keyboard.

5. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    It has Siri. Siri takes dictation. I rarely use the keyboard on my iPod touch 5.

6. i0Nic thread starter macrumors 65816

Not practical in work meetings, or student classes for that matter.

7. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

I was hoping one of the reviewers in the room would try this, but I guess they felt people would rather see them flipping between homescreens...

On my current iPad I touch type like normal, except I often just use three fingers as my pinkee just seems to be hanging off the edge, so 3 is more comfortable. I am hoping I can use 3 on the mini.

Did any of the hands-on photos have the landscape keyboard up? I'm pretty sure I didn't see any...

8. lkw15 macrumors newbie

I would really like to know this as well - I'm in the same boat as you are, OP. I guess we'll have to wait until next week to find out.

9. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

There is about a 2 inch difference in diagonal screen size which will equate to about a 18% difference. If you found that typing on an iPad was hard before, the iPad mini will be about 18% harder to type on due to smaller key size and horizontal keyboard length. I touch type on an iPad now and think that it is acceptable for the size of the device. I'm expecting the iPad mini to not be too large of a difference.

10. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

people have no problem on the iPhone which is still tiny compared to the mini

11. epi117 macrumors 6502

indubitably my good man.

12. pommie82 macrumors 6502

i would personally just wait for a bluetooth keyboard case to come out for the mini it won't be long until they come out about a month or so. i should of thought you would be a lot better using a regular keyboard typing i use one all the time on first generation iPad 1 i wouldn't use a on screen keyboard anymore they aren't very good compared to regular keyboard and if you are taken notes all the time like you are claim you are doing when you are working then i think thats the best option personally

13. clukas macrumors 6502a

clukas

I'm wondering the same thing. I find the I pad sized keyboard quite comfortable for typing, so I think the smaller keyboard will be a little cramped and will slow you down.

14. cfs, Oct 27, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2012

cfs macrumors 6502a

I'm interested in this as well. I use my ipad to type about three pages a day. The screen is just the right size for me to comfortably type with three fingers per hand. I doubt i will be able to handle a smaller keyboard with the same productivity but only time will tell.

15. ANMA dojo macrumors regular

if you're gonna be doing as much typing as you claim, then a BT keyboard sounds more appropriate! :)

16. i0Nic thread starter macrumors 65816

Anyone else planning to use the iPad mini to take notes?

Wonder if anyone will make a specific keyboard accessory like Logitech ulthrathin.

17. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

I saw a Bluetooth keyboard that folds in half the other day will be perfect!

18. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

keep in mind the screen visibility will be smaller also, since the keyoard takes up half the screen. If your main use is for notes, I don't think the mini is for you.

IMO, the mini is for travel and a quick email and internet check on the go. Heavy tasks or prolonged tasks such as note taking is for the ipad.

19. i0Nic thread starter macrumors 65816

I wouldn't take meeting notes on an iPhone, but I would on an iPad. What I'm trying to determine is whether or not the mini will be usable as the 9.7" iPad in taking notes using the landscape keyboard in a more traditional laptop style way.

I think it may be too small for this.

20. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

so you're saying typing on an iphone is fine, but typing on a mini is too small? :confused:

21. i0Nic thread starter macrumors 65816

Is it hard to understand? I type on my iPhone with my thumbs while holding it, I type on my iPad while it's laying on the desk in landscape position. I'm able to type fast on the iPad this way, and was wondering if I could do the same on the mini.

22. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

1024x768 is the same viewing area as an ipad2

23. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

you'll probably have to hold it and type with both thumbs

24. iHeartsteve macrumors 65816

iHeartsteve

i meant physical size.

25. HowardSmith macrumors 6502a

Trying typing on the iPad in the portrait mode. It is not exact but would be closet to the Mini in landscape mode.