Typing on the ipad??

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ktmaty, Jun 22, 2010.

1. ktmaty macrumors newbie

I went to play with the ipad for the first time yesterday. I had the full intention of purchasing one that day if I liked it. I have to say I was disappointed.

First of all, it is the heaviest 1.5 lb thing I have ever held.

Second, how do you type on it? I had a difficult time. I have a droid phone (I know, not an Iphone, but At&t coverage sucks where I live) and typing on the droid did take some getting used to, but it is so much easier because the phone can fit in your hands and you can reach all of the letters on the keyboard.

So, does anyone agree with me? Or can you shed some light on how you type on it? I really wanted to like it. But I can't imagine carrying that around as well as a wireless keyboard so that I can actually type on it.

Thanks!

2. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Well actually,
    A 1.5 lb object cannot be any other 1.5 lb object. I do admit, it was a bit heavier than I might have expected, but I wasn't expecting it to feel like a sheet or a few sheets of paper. I do like to robust feeling.

As for the keyboard, you just have to get used to it. (You will with use)

I couldn't get all the letters by holding it with my two hands but it's really not hard to use. I think you should go and try to give it another chance. :)

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I love mine

I don't think it is heavy at all

And I have no problem typing on it

Just a matter of personal opinions and preferences
    If it isn't for you... don't get one
    But I wouldn't give mine up

4. lca355 macrumors member

Absolutely love mine. You get used to the keyboard and of course I will always type faster on a full size keyboard with keys but you'd be suprised what you cab do with the iPad. It doesn't feel heavy to me at all. It just feels so good to use and browse why watching tv or whatever. Since I have had it I have used my main machine 27 iMac far less. Feeling aclittle guilty about it actually. It's very compelling when you take one home and get used to it.

Good luck with your purchase decision. There's just too many great apple products out there right now. I can't wait for my iphone4 to show up. I'm in the second wave with a July 2nd ship date. I'm rocking the original iPhone 2g so I'm really looking to be blown away.

5. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I have no problem typing on it. I do over 90 words per minute on it and touch type which is funny since its a flat screen. (I guess I'm so used to typing that it doesn't matter and my fingers know where the keys are).

As for weight, its heavier then I expected but not heavy. I don't even notice the weight anymore. I love my iPad and won't trade it for anything :)

6. drummerlondonw3 macrumors 6502a

drummerlondonw3

i would say I am proably 95% as fast on the ipad as my laptop. other than no tactile response its fast and fast enough to touch type with minimal errors. in fact the errors usually come from auto complete rather than accuracy

D

7. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

I'm a very fast touch typist and for me, the trick was to learn to slow down (a lot!) and not type as if it were a regular keyboard.

Back to hunt & peck -- that worked. If you rest your fingers on the "keys," the way you can with a regular board, then you get into trouble.

Give it a few days before getting the keyboard. I'm going to get one, but that's because I know I'm sometimes going to be doing serious typing.