MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

233448-fifth_avenue_ipad_3g_closing.jpg

As noted by 9 to 5 Mac, Apple will be closing each of its over 220 retail stores in the United States from 4:00-5:00 PM local time tomorrow to prepare for the launch of the iPad Wi-Fi + 3G. Even Apple's flagship Fifth Avenue store in Manhattan, typically open 24 hours a day, will close for preparations.
The store will be closed from 4:00 to 5:00 p.m. on Friday, April 30, to prepare for the arrival of iPad with Wi-Fi + 3G.
Customers who pre-ordered their 3G-capable models prior to April 19th have seen their orders shipping for delivery tomorrow.

Article Link: U.S. Apple Retail Stores to Close From 4-5 PM Tomorrow in Advance of iPad 3G Launch

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
Who thinks Apple will let us trade in our WIFI models for the more expensive 3g version? Actually, I'd kind of like to "upgrade" from the 32gb WIFI to the 16gb 3g, which would only be $30 more. I don't find myself using as much storage as I thought--I'm mainly not loading as many movies. I prefer to stream them. I've heard that they dismiss the restocking fee when you buy a more expensive model within a reasonable time-frame, but only $30 more? Thoughts?

kevinkt

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2010
Hawaii
Yeahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

Im suuuuuper excited. My Ipad 3G is coming in the mail. Its like Im waiting for Santa to arrive. AAAHAHAHAHAHHAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca
Who thinks Apple will let us trade in our WIFI models for the more expensive 3g version? Actually, I'd kind of like to "upgrade" from the 32gb WIFI to the 16gb 3g, which would only be $30 more. I don't find myself using as much storage as I thought--I'm mainly not loading as many movies. I prefer to stream them. I've heard that they dismiss the restocking fee when you buy a more expensive model within a reasonable time-frame, but only $30 more? Thoughts?

some people have said here on the board that they have been told by Apple Store Managers that if you choose to return your iPad, their is a restocking fee, but if you agree to upgrade to the iPad 3G and accept a store credit for the full amount, they will wave the restocking fee.

I would call your local Apple Store to verify, but this is what I've heard.

Surely

Oct 27, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
^^^^Restocking fee if you return within 14 days of initial purchase, IB.

Doubtful. Not much in it for them.

Doesn't hurt to ask though.

saving107

macrumors 603
Oct 14, 2007
San Jose, Ca

Doubtful. Not much in it for them.

Doesn't hurt to ask though.

I just called my local Apple Store to ask about this, 30 day return period for the iPad, if open, their will be a 10% restocking fee.

SPNarwhal

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2009
illinois
when will you be able to buy them from apple?
tomorrow? after they re-open?

i have to go there tomorrow for my macbook,
but if there's going to be a huge crowd in the morning for ipads, i'll pass.
if it's not until the afternoon, i'll go in the morning.

ptsube

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2008
Most websites don't have to go down just to be updated, nor do stores have to be closed just for stocking.

Apple's all about the publicity. Little childish if you ask me.

AbblePC

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2009
I wonder if Best Buys will also close their doors tomorrow between 4 and 5PM??

I walked into my local Best Buy today and asked one of four managers all standing in a circle jerk, Are you going to definitely have the iPad 3G available here tomorrow? "Yup" Well, will it only be available at a certain time?(prompting him to say more) "yup after 5" Ok, so will you have a line? Will we have to wait outside or just walk up to the counter at 5? "most definitely" Most definitely what? "a line" ok (knowing the guy was being a jerk, I walked out after that.)

I dont care if they get asked 55 times in a day those same questions, Im sure it gets callus hearing the same thing over and over and getting the phone calls about the device, But I still strongly believe in customer satisfaction and treating each customer as though they are the first of each day and are prepared to buy the most expensive thing in the store, even if they only walk out with a pack of chewing gum.

Sofabutt

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2007
WGAS?

Are Microsoft fan boys as pathetic as Apple's drooling children? Please post links to MS retards drooling over stupid announcements/gear so I can get some perspective.

I love my Apple products, but the hype is just too much to handle.

psingh01

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
"Prepare for the arrival of iPad" instead of "Prepare for the arrival of the iPad". Very annoying. lol

TimTheEnchanter

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2004
Minneapolis, MN
Most websites don't have to go down just to be updated, nor do stores have to be closed just for stocking.

Agreed. I wondered the same thing. I get it for the WiFi model since that was the first one released, make a big deal, but this is another flavor of the same thing. Just play trumpet fanfare as employees march out of the stockroom with arms full of iPad 3Gs.

They really don't have to shut the store down for 1 hour to quickly hook-up a few 3G model displays. It would take 3-5 mins. tops and could do it with customers around you. It's really just silly, marketing hype at this point.

Seriously, it's like a grocery store shutting down to stock a single shelf of the new 50 oz. Heinz Ketchup bottle. Everyone already knows what it is.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
some people have said here on the board that they have been told by Apple Store Managers that if you choose to return your iPad, their is a restocking fee, but if you agree to upgrade to the iPad 3G and accept a store credit for the full amount, they will wave the restocking fee.

I asked a manager at the local store a few days ago and was told if the box has been opened there is a restocking fee on everything, regardless of whether it is a return or exchange. Excluding the iphone if you are within the 30 day ATT window.

I just called my local Apple Store to ask about this, 30 day return period for the iPad,

Interesting about that 30 days. the website says 14 days, only iphones excluded.

when will you be able to buy them from apple?
tomorrow? after they re-open?

yes. ipad 3g only after 5pm. if you are doing something else, go early

it's not just about stocking. The stores except there to be lines etc. so they will need all hands on deck to deal with them, especially since many of them are in areas where they are supposed to close by 9pm when the mall closes.

They won't have any tech support etc going on after that reopen. So why not just shut all that at 5pm. Well easy. Because folks will try to linger. if they are officially closed, all those folks have to get out. a chunk of the team can go to lunch while the rest restock, set up any displays, unbox and stack up stock etc. then they flip while the morning crew that would probably be done at 6pm pick up the slack. second dinner comes back, morning leaves etc.

did something similar releasing Harry Potter, Twilight etc at a book store

They really don't have to shut the store down for 1 hour to quickly hook-up a few 3G model displays. It would take 3-5 mins. tops and could do it with customers around you.

have you ever seen them put out anything on display. I have. it takes more than 3-5 mins tops. And it seems like they don't like to do it with customers around because they have to turn off the security for a whole table at a time, which is asking for someone to yank and run

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!

Publicity only gets you so far. People keep coming back because Apple products provide a superior experience. I am sure they could do it without closing the store, but they actually don't change anything in the store when there are customers are in it. Their store are also an experience.

If you ever hope to be successful in retail business, you should take notes instead of making strange comments.

ptsube

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2008
Publicity only gets you so far. People keep coming back because Apple products provide a superior experience. I am sure they could do it without closing the store, but they actually don't change anything in the store when there are customers are in it. Their store are also an experience.

If you ever hope to be successful in retail business, you should take notes instead of making strange comments.

I have been in retail for 15 years(since I was 15YO). I know something of retail. I have been a store manager at two different chains. I'm sure every company out there would love to have publicity like Apple does, but it's wearing thin. Maybe you didn't notice, but Apple released the iPad several weeks ago. It's just a bunch of hype, i.e. "mommy, look at me, I have a new toy." Like I said, childish.

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
I have been in retail for 15 years(since I was 15YO). I know something of retail. I have been a store manager at two different chains. I'm sure every company out there would love to have publicity like Apple does, but it's wearing thin. Maybe you didn't notice, but Apple released the iPad several weeks ago. It's just a bunch of hype, i.e. "mommy, look at me, I have a new toy." Like I said, childish.

Interesting.. Kind of like taking the effort to come here and complain about something that has no negative impact on anyone on the planet. They are closing their stores for an hour so they can begin selling the thing at a specific time and have it coordinated across the country. It is how they do things. It works. it does not hurt anyone, there is no possible way anyone could find a negative in it.

I suppose that is why you made up this really strange things about it being childish which makes about as much sense as talking about Chewbaca to a jury.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.