U.S. Bans Tablets and Laptops on Flights From Eight Middle Eastern Countries [Update: U.K. Plans Similar Ban]

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

The Department of Homeland of Security today announced new carry-on restrictions that prevent U.S.-bound passengers from eight Middle Eastern countries from carrying personal electronic devices larger than a smartphone in the passenger cabin.

The TSA order, which does not have a stated end date, covers laptops, tablets, e-readers, cameras, portable DVD players, and handheld gaming devices larger than a smartphone. According to the "emergency amendment", such forbidden devices must be stowed in checked baggage.

The list of Muslim-majority countries includes Jordan, Qatar, Kuwait, Morocco, United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, and Turkey. The nine airlines impacted by the order are Royal Jordanian, EgyptAir, Turkish Airlines, Saudia, Kuwait Airways, Royal Air Maroc, Qatar Airways, Emirates and Ethiad Airways.

If the airlines fail to implement the changes within 96 hours, the Federal Aviation Authority could revoke their clearance certificates, which would ban them from flying into U.S. airspace. No U.S. airline is affected by the ban because none currently operates direct flights to and from the above destinations.

U.S. Administration aides declined to comment on any new or specific threats, but said the government had made the decision based on evaluated intelligence suggesting some terrorist organizations have considered using consumer electronics as a way to hide explosives and smuggle them onto passenger planes. It's not yet clear if or how this ruling relates to the Trump administration's revised travel ban, which is currently being challenged by U.S. courts.

The full airport ban list announced by the Department of Homeland Security includes: Queen Alia International Airport (AMM), Cairo International Airport (CAI), Ataturk International Airport (IST), King Abdul-Aziz International Airport (JED), King Khalid International Airport (RUH), Kuwait International Airport (KWI), Mohammed V Airport (CMN), Hamad International Airport (DOH), Dubai International Airport (DXB), and Abu Dhabi International Airport (AUH).

(Via Associated Press.)

Update: The U.K. is also reportedly placing an electronics device ban on some flights, suggesting the actions of both governments is in response to specific intelligence.

Note: Due to the political nature of the discussion regarding this topic, the discussion thread is located in our Politics, Religion, Social Issues forum. All forum members and site visitors are welcome to read and follow the thread, but posting is limited to forum members with at least 100 posts.

Article Link: U.S. Bans Tablets and Laptops on Flights From Eight Middle Eastern Countries [Update: U.K. Plans Similar Ban]

iphonehype

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2012
If this makes the country safer, why not? What do I know I work in IT but my thoughts are if the items are scanned surly there safe to be used during a flight. Plus if they have to go into the cabin what's stopping anyone sneaking it in the toilet in a normal bag should they need to use there laptopn

Reactions: travwill

JosephAW

macrumors 68040
May 14, 2012
Just as the airlines now provide courtesy water bottles, snacks and lotions, they can provide courtesy tablets and laptops with preapproved operating systems with access to internet and clouds. Problem solved.

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
All that'll happen is you'll have to have a layover at another country... since you're not flying direct from a banned country to the US, you can use your electronics on both legs of your flight.

I guess they must think airport security in these countries is inept and will let anything pass them.
[doublepost=1490094343][/doublepost]
Just as the airlines now provide courtesy water bottles, snacks and lotions, they can provide courtesy tablets and laptops with preapproved operating systems with access to internet and clouds. Problem solved.

Huh. That's a neat idea to get around this.

Oblivious.Robot

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2014
Qatar Airways, Emirates and Ethiad Airways.

Without engaging in another countries issue, I have to say from my travels that Qatar has some excellent service and my personal choice when am flying to London.

My sister on the other hand travels through Emirates and Ethiad, to Europe and U.S, considering this, they're definitely going to take a hit in sales for losing the convenience whether it does provide any added security or not.

ibookg409

Suspended
Apr 20, 2016
Portsmouth, NH
All that'll happen is you'll have to have a layover at another country... since you're not flying direct from a banned country to the US, you can use your electronics on both legs of your flight.

I guess they must think airport security in these countries is inept and will let anything pass them.

That's actually a smart view.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
If this makes the country safer, why not? What do I know I work in IT but my thoughts are if the items are scanned surly there safe to be used during a flight. Plus if they have to go into the cabin what's stopping anyone sneaking it in the toilet in a normal bag should they need to use there laptopn

How would this increase safety? Those self same items that would have been carried on will now be in checked bags. Checked bags undergo similar security procedures, x-ray and manual inspection. And now you have the additional safety problem of large Lithium-ion batteries being kept in the baggage hold. This has caused fires in the past, which is why you aren't supposed to have them in checked bags.

marine0816

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2011
USA
Thanks President Trump for keeping us safe, everyone still has a pre-911 mindset. They're people in does countries that one to kill us, and liberals want them in here because of their guilt. Laptop batteries are turning into bombs, and just because you want to be PC you don't care if a bomb goes off here or there. Your hatred for our President and reality is suicidal. Not "ALL" muslims want to kill Americans, but there is a "SMALL" percentage that do, and that's just enough to harm us in the homeland for the second time.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
That will stop all business travels from those airports. There is no way
I will check my laptop period. Not only it will break while thrown by the amazing
baggage handlers, but if it gets stolen, I have sensitive information stored there...
For sure. And Turkish and Emirates are major leisure carriers too. People have GOT to have their devices nowadays. It's not optional.

DTphonehome

macrumors 68000
Apr 4, 2003
NYC
Thanks President Trump for keeping us safe, everyone still has a pre-911 mindset. They're people in does countries that one to kill us, and liberals want them in here because of their guilt. Laptop batteries are turning into bombs, and just because you want to be PC you don't care if a bomb goes off here or there. Your hatred for our President and reality is suicidal. Not "ALL" muslims want to kill Americans, but there is a "SMALL" percentage that do, and that's just enough to harm us in the homeland for the second time.
As a Marine, please explain how having these bomb-packed devices in the cargo hold makes anyone safer.

JGRE

macrumors 65816
Oct 10, 2011
Dutch Mountains

Inept, or simply a joke?
[doublepost=1490095951][/doublepost]
As a Marine, please explain how having these bomb-packed devices in the cargo hold makes anyone safer.

uuuhhh.... That doesn't matter, they are all terrorist and we have to ban there devices as we cannot ban the terrorist themselves (damn judges). Let's make USA great again, greeting D. Trump.
PS: never question your commander in chief again, I will do the thinking for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: arkitect

macsmurf

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
If you really want to keep us away just warn us of the danger of being shot by some random drunk.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.