U.S. Committee Sends Letter to Tim Cook Asking for Answers About Group FaceTime Eavesdropping Flaw

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 5, 2019.

1. dcassone macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Feb 5, 2019 ---
    This is rich...the people who want to put a backdoor in to iOS are lecturing Apple on privacy.

Apple's record on privacy is clear....very pro-individual privacy anti-government intrusion.
    Congress' record is exactly the opposite.

2. trusso Suspended

Yet another case of Congress performing "lip-service" under the pretense of serving the peoples' interests. The unfortunate fact is that wealthy business interests run the majority of Congress, and they could hardly give a rat's behind what the people think, as long as they think what they're supposed to think come election day.

Where were you when Wall Street ripped off the American tax-payer? Or when the military-industrial complex yanked control of this country from the average citizen? Whatever culpability Apple might have regarding the Group FaceTime fiasco, you can bet your ass Congress doesn't give two s**** about the average person; they just want to appear like they do.

3. m4mario macrumors member

m4mario

When some one asks you "What's up?", the right answer is "What's up?"

4. mozumder macrumors 6502a

It doesn't look like you're making a comparative argument vs other vendors?

5. jimbobb24 macrumors 6502a

I think the govt should send a letter to every vendor every time there is a bug discovered. That should get things fixed right up.

6. Brandhouse macrumors 6502

So what do the people at Facebook get for their invasion of privacy and not having the ability to turn it all off as a user, and farming all of your personal details and every other contact on your devices?

7. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Do these Representatives not realize that Apple has emojis to create instead of working on bugs?

On a serious note, of course Apple takes privacy very seriously and I bet Apple now has protocols to escalate these kind of bug reports even faster. Apple does 1000x more than most companies in protecting their consumers.

8. MattMJB0188 macrumors 68000

9. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

As if:
    1. Apple maliciously inserted the bug,
    2. Apple can track the innards of legitimate api calls in its apps. If google can’t do it with their vast martlet share how can Apple scrutinize every app at that level. What hyperbole.

10. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

The issue doesn't currently exist.

11. thadoggfather, Feb 5, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2019

thadoggfather macrumors G4

thadoggfather

A personal insult that has nothing to do with what I’ve stated... Thanks?

Is that your final answer for Apple’s defense? “Get out more”? Interesting

12. Smith288 macrumors 65816

Smith288

Sound like you’re a politician in the making.

13. Kabeyun macrumors 68000

Kabeyun

14. mikethemartian macrumors regular

I’m for free markets so I would have let them go bankrupt instead of bailing them out and then complaining that investment bankers were greedy once they started making record profits again.

15. Zakzilla macrumors member

Zakzilla

It's not about the actual fix, it's about Apple's lack of transparency with the issue and how long it took before fixing it. Who knows how long Apple has been aware of this bug...

16. ender78 macrumors 6502

What law was broken here?

17. stevet macrumors 6502

This is ridiculous, what is going on in this country? The questions they are asking are what a manager/ceo should be asking their employees. I'm not sure why the 'US Committee' feels they are owed answers for this is crazy. How about coming up with a law that protects our data privacy first, then you have the right to ask the questions. Fkn frauds.

18. chinito77 macrumors regular

chinito77

So um..anyone hear any good rumors about the new iMac?

19. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

The thing is, many issues get investigated, analyzed, and worked on often before any word about them spreads without the vast majority of people really knowing much about it one way or another. Most things aren't just transparent publicly. There isn't necessarily something truly wrong or different in relation to how things were being handled initially as there certainly investigations that had to be done, analysis of the issue, weighing risks and all the different variables associated with them, etc.

None of this is to say that there isn't something somewhere that couldn't or shouldn't be improved or modified, but it is to say that what has happened isn't really something that's essentially automatically malicious and wrong.

20. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

They shouldn't have ignored it for a week.

Try again.
    This has absolutely nothing to do with the topic at hand.

Try again.
    Translation: REEEE

21. jarman92 macrumors 6502

Actually, if you bothered to read the article you linked, it took one business day for Apple to respond to the formal report. She sent an actual bug report on a Friday, Apple disabled Group FaceTime the following Monday. I'd say that's much quicker than one would expect, given it was reported by a random woman and required entirely disabling a core iOS feature.
    They didn't ignore it for a week.

Try again.

22. applefan69, Feb 5, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2019

applefan69 macrumors 6502a

Ummm no?

I am absolutely thrilled someone is seeking to hold Apple accountable to this. Not only accountable to fixing it, but accountable to explaining their actions in an honest transparent way. Even if Apple did nothing wrong this sets a precedent for other companies, that they better have a damn good explanation if they are ever caught with a similiar bug.

Basically this is the best news ever. Now Apple is going to be forced to give us some answers, rather than quietly sweep it under the rug like they were hoping they could.

Why would you suggest a a proper explanation is not necessary? This is potentially an extremely critical turning point for privacy in the modern age. People like you really make me mad, why do you think this is not worth looking into. Do you really think we should just let the corporation get away with it? - If we do not demand answers we are only screwing ourselves, then the question is what comes next.

Seriously why would any sane person NOT want answers here? What happened was really ****ing serious.

So Macrumors is misreporting the story?

UMM. I want to know what exactly happened here. Ours phones should NOT BE OPENLY SENDING VIDEO/AUDIO DATA WITHOUT OUR CONSENT.
    I love how there are these people thinking "come on it is just a little tiny software bug. I mean come on."

Actually as noted above I hate it. Apple clearly screwed something major up. Now the question is whether they are guilty of trying to hide it, I want to know the answer to this.

23. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

Wrong.

There is literally a tweet on Jan 20 and a youtube video demo'ing the bug.

Try again.

24. applefan69, Feb 5, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2019

applefan69 macrumors 6502a

Because the job of our government is to defend the rights of the people. This is deemed as a breach of those rights. Once again, why are there all these idiots thinking this is some kind of minor "oopsy we slipped". No this is a smoking gun.

Any self respecting person should want to hold the corporation accountable. We should consider ourselves blessed we have a government that cares enough to do this for us. How is an investigation going to hurt you any? The regulators asking these questions get paid the same regardless if they ask the questions or not, so why is there any problem here?

25. GeoStructural macrumors newbie

Don't forget that nasty bug that allowed anyone to view your phones with the locked screen.