U.S Galaxy S2 over the iPhone5 and Nexus-Prime ?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Darthdingo, Sep 11, 2011.

1. Darthdingo, Sep 11, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2011

Darthdingo macrumors 6502a

I think the Samsung Galaxy S2 looks to be an incredible smartphone, when they first released the international version back in April, it was hands down the #1 top dog best device on the market. But now 5 months later the U.S. is finally getting it, but is it too late ? I hate to pick it up, and not even a month later is outdated, significantly by both the iPhone5 and Nexus-Prime. I am on Sprint and looking for a new phone to replace my Nexus-S 4G I am bored with, and has major radio/network issues.

Very soon two Super phones are about to be released, the iPhone5, and Nexus-Prime. I know most here prefer the iPhone, but if the i5 comes out with a 4" or larger screen, thinner with better battery life, and the option to have Widgets on the home screen, i will be very tempted to pick one up. And then there is the phone from the 22nd century the Nexus-Prime, supposedly the most feature packed and newest next gen hardware ever seen on a smartphone.

I know you can always play the waiting game, and just wait forever for the next best thing, and then never have anything at all. But both the iPhone5 and Nexus-Prime are due out in October or so. Or will the U.S. Galaxy S2 easily be on par and close to these other two new devices ?

Bottom line question, get the Galaxy S2 now, or will the iPhone5 or Nexus-Prime be the better off waiting for and why ?

2. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

3. Snoudel macrumors newbie

Wrong forum? Lol.

4. Darthdingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

I see a lot of disappointed iPhone users complaining here or there about a bunch of BS stuff.

5. labman macrumors 604

labman

6. batting1000 macrumors 604

It's really hard to say right now, because all we have is rumored specs of the Prime and iPhone 5.

7. Darthdingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Not trolling at all. I had the iPhone1 and 3G, thought they were the best phones ever at the time, then got bored and moved over to Android with the Nexus-One, and now the Nexus-S. Now I am getting bored again, looking for something fresh. The screen colors and size of the Galaxy S2 is amazing from what I have seen, plus it is razor thin for such a large phone, and TouchWiz 4.0 UI is sort of a mix of Android and iOS combined. But then again if Apple finally comes out with a bigger screen for the iPhone5, and get that jailbreaked, it would be a really sweet smartphone too.

8. Yumunum macrumors 65816

Yumunum

Don't listen to anyone that says you should buy now. Two game-changing devices are about to be released, and they will be one-of-a-kind for a whole year. And your GSII will never get updates, btw. Wait for the iP5 and Nexus Prime, then make your decision

9. batting1000 macrumors 604

Yup. Samsung takes forever to push updates to their devices (see the Epic 4G Gingerbread update which still has not been released).

the iPhone 5 and Nexus Prime should be the ones to watch.

10. aztooh macrumors 6502a

Key phrase in your OP is "not even a month later". If the other device (iPhone 5/Prime) come out within 30 days of your GS2 purchase, you're golden. And if it's after a month...then, like you say, it's just continuing the 'waiting game'..how long do you wanna wait?

I'm largely in the same boat. I need a new device (iP3g) and very interested in picking up the GS2, but I don't even know when it's coming on ATT. I'm not on contract now, but I don't want to jump to Sprint and lose my ATT unlimited data if the iPhone 5 isn't on Sprint and I like it better...so probably waiting until I at least get to see what the iPhone 5 hardware brings to the table.

11. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

I'll tell you as someone who has already used the Samsung Galaxy S 2, in Canada. It's a great device, but it's definitely overhyped since i guess it's the first 'best' Android phone.
    It looked great, but felt cheap.

At the end the only thing that mainly matters for me is iOS, a bigger screen, ergonomically comfortable, and has the ability to run iOS fluidly (good internals).
    At the end it comes down to preference.

If the Nexus Prime ran iOS, then i would definitely jump on that. But i'll be waiting for the iPhone 5, and that will be my smartphone for the coming years.

I feel you bud, i too have the iPhone 3G, and have been waiting for the iPhone 5 ever since i loaded iOS 4 onto my iPhone.

12. batting1000 macrumors 604

That's because Samsungs phones are plastic.

13. aztooh macrumors 6502a

Oh man isn't that the truth. I did upgrade to an Atrix when it released, but I had some issues with it so I returned it. Never was a fan of the iP4 so decided I'd wait til June for the 5...still waiting lol. But like someone mentioned, probably would be stupid to buy the SG2 now. 5 month old phone already and 2 'game changers' reportedly soon to release.

I've dealt with this POS for this long, might as well suck it up for a little bit longer. :(

14. Darthdingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Best advice here, thanks. I should at least wait to see what Apple has in store for the iPhone5 officially, before making my decision. If they do indeed make it a 4" screen, I will lean that way, but if still the same old tiny 3.5", might go to the GS2 for now.

The Nexus-Prime is rumored to be a Verizon exclusive for now, and best case is a late November release, I want to get something in the next month or so.

15. aztooh macrumors 6502a

I don't get this. Haven't both other Nexus devices completely NOT been with VZW at all? Why would they now get to be the exclusive carrier?

BTW, not directed at you personally, just the rumor..as I've heard it elsewhere as well.

16. Darthdingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

T-Mobile was the carrier for the first two Nexus releases, but rumor is that Google also wants to show off network speed on the next Nexus, to compete against the iPhone5 and have another advantage over it.

The only carrier right now with the best 4G that is somewhat wide spread across the U.S. is Verizon's LTE. Sprint's WiMax sucks ( I know I have it ), and both ATT and T-Mobile don't have LTE fully running across the country yet.

17. boss.king macrumors 68040

boss.king

The Droid Prime is the Verizon one, the Nexus Prime is supposedly a different device (probably just a GSM variant).

18. Savor Suspended

Savor

While the iPhone 4 is still the best-selling smartphone, you can say the Galaxy S II has been the best reviewed among all 2011 phones that has been released so far.

I like that Walmart is offering the Sprint version of Galaxy S II for $99 with new customers.

http://www.unwiredview.com/2011/09/...-galaxy-s-ii-epic-4g-touch-for-99-at-walmart/

I can see it dropping to even $49 or FREE with contract after a few months. Who knows if the AT&T and T-Mobile will follow suit? That is a nice bargain for a phone with a 1.2GHz dual processor and the Sprint version has a bigger 4.5 inch screen. The BlackBerry 9900 is being offered $299 with contract at T-Mobile by comparison. The GSII is a better phone than the recent BlackBerry Bold with a better OS for the future.

If competitors want to sell, they need to lower the price. That is how you win in volume. Samsung simply can't match the price of Apple because Apple can sell it high anyway and still sell millions. Apple can get away with it. Others can't and need to try to undercut them. Look at TouchPad. The demographic that post here don't care what the new iPhone will cost. This is an iPhone forum with iPhone fans. But most buyers are more price sensitive than that. If others can start lowering prices on their tablets and phones, this is good for the rest of the industry and bargain shoppers instead of seeing non-iOS devices collect dust because the price is on par with Apple's. Apple can still sell at a premium. Look at the Mac.

19. zipster macrumors 6502

A lot of new phones coming out within the next week.

20. 305rob305 macrumors member

IOS will never have widgets, its not their thing. And, I dont think they will have 4g which its the game changer for me. I have verizon 4g with absolutely no buffering when watching youtube in HD! There no way I'll go back to 3g...
    If the next iphone has 4g them I'll really consider it

21. hcho3 macrumors 68030

Can't say anything about Nexus Prime because it is not finalized product. I cannot wait or choose something that has no specifications what so ever.

Galaxy S2 is nice, but US galaxy S2s are not...

Galaxy S2 has been out for 5-6 months. If I had to get one, I would get AT&T version. I feel that 4.5 inch is too big to be a phone. They also got rid of the middle button with the US version and now it has touch sensitive buttons on the bottom. I hate that.

Galaxy S2 is just old and I just don't want old products.

I would personally choose iPhone 5 or Nexus prime. But, there is nothing to go on with Nexus Prime, so I will choose iPhone 5.

22. thogin macrumors member

thogin

Waiting to see if the iPhone 5 for Sprint will have 4G. That might be the deciding factor for me to switch back to iPhone (currently using HTC Evo, which is still a decent phone). Otherwise, I'll wait for the Prime.

23. vistadude macrumors 65816

There is also a rumor of a Samsung Galaxy S2-like device with mango 7.5 installed, so a lot to look forward to.

24. Darthdingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

There is nothing to go on for the Nexus-Prime ? These spec's have been going around the net for several weeks now, on many different Android sites.
    http://www.phonearena.com/news/Nexu...ng-a-4.65-HD-screen-and-metal-chassis_id21952

- 4.6″ Super AMOLED HD screen = 1280x800 res with a 324.6 pixel density ( better than retina )
    - Android 4.0 "Ice Cream" = Brand new next generation OS
    - 1.5 GHz dual-core TI OMAP Processor
    - Metal chassis for better solid build quality, and 8.88mm razor thin

You sound like you know what the iPhone5 will have ? I have yet to see any official spec's for that phone either, just all rumors and speculation still.

25. Savor Suspended

Savor

I think plastic can be great if done right.

Apple almost brainwashed iPhone users to hate plastic when most phones have been built on the same material for years. Even the iPhone 3's were made of plastic partially. Metal would block our signal and would be more rigid internally while plastic can absorb shocks better.