U2 to headline 40th Glastonbury

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by edesignuk, Nov 23, 2009.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

BBC.

I find U2 a bit annoying, but I'm sure they'll put on a great show :cool:

2. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

3. Lorenz0 macrumors regular

*yawn*

Didn't they headline the first one?

Are they even relevant anymore?

4. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

Meh.

The important question is who's doing the Golden Oldies spot on Sunday afternoon?

5. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

6. parafish13 macrumors member

Y'all are turds. I saw U2 in Raleigh and Muse was opening.

Muse put on an amazing show. 10/10

and then U2 put on a show so perfect that Muse, relative to U2, gets a 1/10 while most other bands deserve much less.

Don't bash 'em 'cause it's "cool." They're still as relevant as ever and Bono's done good for the world.

7. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Bono may have done good for the world , but their music blows now. They haven't done anything worth a damn since Achtung Baby.

8. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

Yawn...

Glastonbury has really put out some pitiful lineups the past few years. Even though I don't like U2, that is still great news for a headlining act. We'll see who else they get.

I've always wanted to go to Glastonbury but the rain seemed to be the major complaint when I ask people about it. I love music and art festivals but consistent rain always ruins what would normally be a fun time.

Either way, won't be going to Glastonbury this year. Burning Man 2010, here I come.

9. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

I imagine that fans will appreciate it more then Jay-Z

10. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

The rain is part of the fun, I went to Glastonbuty the year it flooded. I was lucky I was quite high up one of the fields. The atmosphere was amazing and everyone pulled together. It wouldn't be Glastonbury without the rain. The following year it was blazing sunshine, I guess you win some and loose some.

I think U2 are going to be amazing, just a shame I couldn't get tickets for 2010.

EDIT* TGMK Jay-Z was one of the best live performers I have ever seen, he stole the show for me!

11. Melrose Suspended

Melrose

U2 has lost the sound that made me love them. Whereas earlier their albums were listenable all the way through, the last few it's been only a few on each CD that get me.

That being said, they still put on a tremendous live performance. They'll do a damn good job of it.

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Is this one of those 'It's so uncool it must be cool' ideas?

13. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

They're planning on Status Quo next year apparently...

:rolleyes:

14. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

I was there that year too.

I still haven't met anyone who likes U2.

Glastonbury is just far too ridiculously expensive nowadays. I recently went to Frequency in Austria and the festival tickets/flights were cheaper by a long shot.

15. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Did you see Basement Jaxx? They were so good live. I live about 20mins from the festival site so it makes it so easy to get there I don't worry about the price.

16. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

17. mward333 macrumors 6502a

mward333

Hi there, nice to meet you, xUKHCx. Now you know someone who likes U2. :)

Yikes! I don't know anything about Glastonbury..... but I do know that I've loved U2 since the 1980's, and I'm really sorry to see all of the U2 bashing on this thread. Ugh. Each of their albums is unique, and they have changed a lot over the years, but I'll put in a positive vote for U2, even for their new stuff. Of course it is perhaps easier to get into the U2 songs that are 10, 15, 20, etc., years old, but that's only because we've all heard them dozens and dozens of times. The new U2 music still has a lot of substance and can be really great too.

Artists evolve, and their music does too. In the case of U2, I'm still buying their new albums and loving the new music.

Sorry; I had to insert my two cents into this thread, because I had to defend U2. I'll back off now and allow people to continue flaming U2 at will. Ugh.

18. Queso macrumors G4

Yeah Glastonbury used to be fun, until they put that fence up. Not been since 1990. Probably watch this one on E4.