Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dermeister

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2003
Hum, interesting... Noticed that stuff that wasn't in the iTunes store was defaulting to white.

That's pretty cool though.

It uses album art, so any track without art will default to the "System" theme. Anything from the iTunes Store will have art, where as for anything else it depends on whether you added the art yourself.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
It uses album art, so any track without art will default to the "System" theme. Anything from the iTunes Store will have art, where as for anything else it depends on whether you added the art yourself.

Really? Hmm... I have a bunch of EPs that weren't taking effect. That's why I assumed that. Everything in my library has cover art.

BTW, I have this problem where sometimes my apps will be dead with the red lines going through them, but then they actually aren't... This has been a problem in maybe the last three updates.

dermeister

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2003
Really? Hmm... I have a bunch of EPs that weren't taking effect. That's why I assumed that. Everything in my library has cover art.

BTW, I have this problem where sometimes my apps will be dead with the red lines going through them, but then they actually aren't... This has been a problem in maybe the last three updates.

Ah - in some cases even when there is album art the resulting NSImage from the Script Bridge to iTunes is nil or bad (NSZeroSize) so in that case it uses System as well. I have to look into that issue. Sounds like something about your covers might be consistently having that issue.

The only thing I can think of for the last 2 updates is that they are compiled under Yosemite, but I can't think of what could cause that. I will keep an eye out for it, and maybe other reports can help figure out how to reproduce the issue.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Ah - in some cases even when there is album art the resulting NSImage from the Script Bridge to iTunes is nil or bad (NSZeroSize) so in that case it uses System as well. I have to look into that issue. Sounds like something about your covers might be consistently having that issue.

The only thing I can think of for the last 2 updates is that they are compiled under Yosemite, but I can't think of what could cause that. I will keep an eye out for it, and maybe other reports can help figure out how to reproduce the issue.

Hmm, alright. I'll play with it some more and see if I see anything in common too.

dermeister

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2003
Finally dealt with issue that made PathFinder and TotalFinder show two of each window. The problem was that they actually physically create a background window and a tab window for each window you see. uBar now detects that.

Release notes for 2.3.7
  • Feature: Chinese Simplified localization added (Thanks to Windirt Young)
  • Feature: Developer mode shows bundle identifiers for applications
  • Fix: TotalFinder and PathFinder far less likely to show duplicate windows (Reported by Kimberly Nucifora)

---

Two things: 1) Major Preferences reorganization with new Theme and Area panes. 2) The long-awaited Custom theme to let you select custom colours and opacity.

Release notes for 2.3.8
  • Feature: New Custom theme option to customize color and opacity
  • Tweak: New Theme pane in Preferences window
  • Tweak: New Areas pane in Preferences window

Last edited:

macek3

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2014
I am a fan of uBar. It looks good and does what it promises. Since the switch to Mac several years ago I always felt that the mac way of switching between apps is inferior to the way it is done in windows. It is particularly a problem on a small screen of MBA11.

I see a few problems when working with uBar:
1) MS Word and Excel always open only one button, even when there are several documents/spreadsheets open at the same time
2) You cannot put the Finder icon in favorites toolbar.

Except for that, it is a cool app :)

dermeister

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2003
I am a fan of uBar. It looks good and does what it promises. Since the switch to Mac several years ago I always felt that the mac way of switching between apps is inferior to the way it is done in windows. It is particularly a problem on a small screen of MBA11.

1) MS Word and Excel always open only one button, even when there are several documents/spreadsheets open at the same time

Thanks:cool: The second thing will be fixed soon, but for the first can you tell me what version of those apps you are using? MS tends to use non standard non-appkit windows, since their apps are full of carbon c++ due to them being 20 years old. Maybe I can figure out whatever they are doing exactly and give them a special workaround.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA

You can add the Finder app in manually. You want to go to this folder:

/System/Library/CoreServices/

Highlight Finder, go to the Services menu, and then Add to uBar Favorites.

dermeister

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2003
Parallels Desktop 9's Coherence Mode used to work fine. Now so does Parallels Desktop 10's.

Release notes for 2.3.9
  • Tweak: Compatible with Parallels Desktop 10 Coherence Mode (Reported by Lee Mellinger)

macek3

macrumors newbie
Dec 16, 2014
Thanks:cool: The second thing will be fixed soon, but for the first can you tell me what version of those apps you are using? MS tends to use non standard non-appkit windows, since their apps are full of carbon c++ due to them being 20 years old. Maybe I can figure out whatever they are doing exactly and give them a special workaround.

I am using MS Office 2011 for mac. I believe it is a pretty standard version of Office with the updates (currently it says it is 14.4.7). I can email you the screenshots if you want. No matter how many documents you open, there's always one button that says "Microsoft Excel" instead of the name of the document.

----------

You can add the Finder app in manually. You want to go to this folder:

/System/Library/CoreServices/

Highlight Finder, go to the Services menu, and then Add to uBar Favorites.

That worked, thanks! :)

dermeister

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2003
You can now make uBar show you user account in the uBar menu in the preferences, and there is a Single-App mode, which was a Dock feature from Mac OS X 10.0 that was pulled 15 years ago.

Release notes for 2.3.9
  • Tweak: Compatible with Parallels Desktop 10 Coherence Mode (Reported by Lee Mellinger)

Release notes for 2.4.0
  • Feature: Single app mode (Suggested by Ben Morrison)
  • Feature: Show user account in uBar menu

prymitywista

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2014
Hi dermeister, can you make an option to change dock length manually?
MacOS922.png

I prefer to make something like this :) cheers!

dermeister

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2003
Oh, that's great - thank you a lot :)

Your wish is granted:) Actually a lot of people wanted this. This is an awesome update.

Release notes for 2.4.1
  • Feature: Pinning now reclaims free horizontal space
  • Feature: Changes to uBar are now animated
  • Feature: Clicks take effect on mouse down by default instead of mouse up - setting is available in Preferences under Advanced (Suggested by Honor Lee)
  • Feature: Option to disable behaviour that hides the active app when it is clicked in Preferences under Advanced (Suggested by Dan Caron)
  • Tweak: Clicking near the bottom of the screen under an app or window triggers it in accordance with Fitts’s law (Suggested by Ben Morrison)
  • Tweak: New Advanced pane in Preferences window
  • Fix: Flicker issue that affected certain systems is resolved

grahamperrin

macrumors 601
Jun 8, 2007
uBar 2 on OS X Mavericks, reminiscent of Control Strip in Mac OS

Your wish is granted:) Actually a lot of people wanted this. This is an awesome update. …

Oh!

Thinking of Apple Control Strip instead of Microsoft Windows greatly increases its appeal!

Thanks. Now on trial:

Side note: the mixture of opacity and transparency that's currently in my Dock might be a bug, but I like it. And if it is a bug, I can't imagine it relating to uBar.

dermeister

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2003
Oh!

Thinking of Apple Control Strip instead of Microsoft Windows greatly increases its appeal!

Thanks. Now on trial:

Side note: the mixture of opacity and transparency that's currently in my Dock might be a bug, but I like it. And if it is a bug, I can't imagine it relating to uBar.

Definitely not uBar related. Nice screenshot - doesn't look like MS at all:) I have to figure a way to combat that notion... Maybe more screenshots on the uBar site of uBar configured more like a dock, and a quick 3 question setup so the first setup people see isn't necessarily uBar configured as a task bar.

My god. You are so good :) Thanks, that's what I'm looking for! :apple::apple::apple:

Thanks and please let anyone you know that may be looking for the same thing about uBar :D

I am thinking of doing a screenshot page for users to submit "my uBar"... I love seeing what users come up with as their uBar configuration + overall desktop look.

dermeister

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2003
Two new fix-focused releases.

Release notes for 2.4.2
  • Fix: Preference changes affect size properly with pinning off
  • Fix: Solved a crash that affected certain systems on launch

Release notes for 2.4.3
  • Fix: Empty trash on large numbers of files no longer blocks the UI (Reported by Allan Nyholm Nielsen)
  • Fix: Non-unmountable volumes can no longer be dragged to the Trash (Reported by Anders Holm)
  • Fix: App badges update on app activation (Reported by Matthias Ferber)

dermeister

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 19, 2003
Bored. :D
Apple obviously knew what they were doing when they made Yosemite.

Nice! Needs:
  • Macintosh HD on desktop
  • Trash on desktop
  • Background flat colour no pattern
  • A folder on desktop that is Yosemite folder but shaded purple through photoshop.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Nice! Needs:
  • Macintosh HD on desktop
  • Trash on desktop
  • Background flat colour no pattern
  • A folder on desktop that is Yosemite folder but shaded purple through photoshop.

:D I'll try doing that tomorrow.

BTW, see that you're in MacHeist's latest bundle. Do you have the mechanism to switch out names on the registration? I already bought uBar, so want to pass the extra license to someone else.

Snorkledorf

macrumors newbie
Oct 18, 2011
Kansai, Japan
Just found (and registered) this today. Very nice!

Here are a few things that stood out for me:

• The popup calendar doesn't respect Calendar.app's "Start week on" setting (e.g. start on Monday)
  • The clock doesn't respect System Preferences' 24-hour time settings.
  • Clicking a favorite app brings it to the front, but then clicking that favorite again feels like it should hide all the app's windows, like a toggle. Maybe that's just me? Right now you click to show, then clicking it again does nothing.
  • Can't command-drag Favorites to re-order them. Is there some other way?
  • (With "Clicks don't take effect until mouse up" enabled) to match expected OS X behavior, you should be able to "abort" any click by dragging the mouse away from the button before releasing it. Currently it doesn't work for the main app buttons. It works partially for Favorites:
    • They don't un-highlight when the mouse moves away.
    • Clicking on e.g. the Desktop favorite, then dragging completely off of uBar correctly aborts, but dragging to a different favorite triggers that favorite instead (which wasn't clicked).
  • Some apps don't hide when clicked: Photoshop CC, 1Password, Pixa.
  • It might be nice to have the ability to set certain apps to display their app name instead of their window name. Several apps are showing "Untitled" which makes it tough to tell them apart.

I don't want to just complain, since uBar is quite nifty — these are all just little tweaks. Great job so far!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.