Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Uber today announced that passenger ratings will be displayed more prominently within its iPhone and iPad app.

Now, a rider's rating will be displayed right under their name in the app's menu that slides out from the left. Previously, riders had to visit an unadvertised Uber support document and sign into their account to view their score, likely resulting in some riders not even knowing the feature existed.

uber-rider-rating.jpg

While most Uber users are likely familiar with rating drivers on a five-star scale after a trip, drivers can also rate passengers. If a rider eats in the car without permission, slams the door, or tries to pile in more people than seat belts, for example, a driver could give that passenger a low rating.

By making these rider ratings more visible, Uber hopes it will remind riders that "mutual respect is an important part" of its Community Guidelines.

Ratings are always reported as averages, and neither riders nor drivers will see the individual rating left for a particular trip.

Uber for iPhone and iPad [Direct Link] was updated earlier this week, but the rider rating change still appears to be in the process of rolling out.

Article Link: Uber to Make Passenger Ratings More Visible on iPhone and iPad

b0nd18t

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2012
About time. I love bragging to my friends that my rating is higher than theirs

MadDog31

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2007
I'd love to know who I upset to drag me down to a 4.69 rating. Never been anything but kind and clear with drivers and I tip rather well. Although my wife has an even lower rating -- and, I love her dearly, but I somewhat understand why that is.

But back to my awful rating! :(

ssl0408

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2013
New York
So, I decided to check my rating - 4.62.
I can't believe it's that low. I give every driver a 5 star rating, even when they don't deserve it.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I'd love to know who I upset to drag me down to a 4.69 rating. Never been anything but kind and clear with drivers and I tip rather well. Although my wife has an even lower rating -- and, I love her dearly, but I somewhat understand why that is.

Wait a second—I read the article and it didn't even cross my mind they were talking about actual passenger ratings. I re-read the article and wow, my brain really missed that because it seems so backwards. I have no need for Uber where I live, so I haven't used it. But you guys are telling me that Uber allows their employees to rate customers? Are you freaking kidding me? What a user hostile company!!

With the way this system works, a driver could sexually harass 1 out of every 5 passengers and still get a 4 star rating. I've heard horror stories from passengers who are trying to get to the airport and their driver got pulled over twice for speeding, causing them to miss the flight, and then proceeded to yell and argue with the customer when they arrived about giving them a big tip to make up for the speeding tickets. You're telling me those idiots can rate the passengers poorly for not tipping? This whole system is insane and I can't wait for Uber to collapse.

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX

Some uber drivers have their own pet peeves, and of course you'll have no clue. There's zero consistency so there's no real formula on how to act to please every driver.

Reactions: Ener Ji

NinjaHERO

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2008
U S of A
One of the big selling points of Uber for me was you didn't have to tip. But if you don't tip the drivers they definitely rate you down. Lame

Reactions: Huck

TechZeke

macrumors 68020
Jul 29, 2012
Dallas, TX
Stop tipping. I just checked and have a straight 5.0 even though I never tip Uber drivers. :p

None of my drivers even rated me. :p

I didn't even know Uber had a tipping function to be honest. (I only use Uber maybe 5 times a year since I have my own car, and it's typically "last mile" trips from a train station)

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
I didn't even know Uber had a tipping function to be honest.
It doesn't, which is the main reason why I don't tip, since I rarely carry small bills. The Lyft app does though (and I prefer to use Lyft in areas where they have enough cars).
(I only use Uber maybe 5 times a year since I have my own car, and it's typically "last mile" trips from a train station)
It's similar for me. I usually only use them for trips to/from the airport and things like that.

Reactions: TechZeke

mrgraff

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
Albuquerque
Good. I always check my passenger rating a few days after a ride to see if I'm still a "model citizen." So far it's 5.0 :cool: but I've always wondered why I had to jump through so many hoops to find the number.

toph2toast

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2011
I've heard that they rate passengers, but was unaware there was a way to check your rating until this article. I've only used the service a few times and have a 5.0 rating. Also never tip because I don't carry cash very often and was told by a friend that giving a driver 5 stars was their tip.

I also have no problem that the drivers can do this. If someone requests an uber, gets drunk when they get in, then they make a mess in the car, there would be a way to inform fellow drivers.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThaRuler

kyjaotkb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2009
London, UK
oh, tipping... Cue the great cultural divide.
Americans and tipping is a fascinating subject (and most of those i know actually find it awkward). It never actually crossed my mind to tip an Uber driver. What an awkward thing, this tipping thing. I'd rather have a cashless society and decent minimum wages where every unit of income contributes to tax funding a decent health and social security system...
The only time I tip is when in a developing country, in the US or here in Europe but only very small amounts and when I get exceptional service - for Uber that would mean, I don't know, a bottle of water, a particularly great conversation or a "special" trip e.g. to a hospital for an emergency. Interesting and as controversial as ever.

mb4birdie

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2017
So, I decided to check my rating - 4.62.
I can't believe it's that low. I give every driver a 5 star rating, even when they don't deserve it.
Drivers don't give a darn about the 5 star ratings. Uber has cut pay to the point that drivers are only making around .70 cents a mile. The IRS deduction for use of your vehicle for work is .54 cents. Are actual profit is .16-.20 cents a mile. Uber keeps cutting rates and increasing their commissions. Most drivers don't even make minimum wage. Start tipping your drivers. You can tip Uber drivers. Uber lost a lawsuit last year saying the tip was included but the drivers we not getting a penny. We are now allowed to put signs in are cars soliciting tips. I don't get it. Uber is less than half of a Taxi sometimes a 1/3rd and maybe 5-10 % of the users tip. Most drivers are out of this business in 4 months because the wear and tear on the car is too much and we can't even afford repairs at these rates. Uber is truly a disgusting company with many issues. I had been doing this as a side job in addition to my full time job as my wife was out of work. I'm done now, in 6 months I have had to put a lot of money in my car because of ubering.
[doublepost=1493230218][/doublepost]
oh, tipping... Cue the great cultural divide.
Americans and tipping is a fascinating subject (and most of those i know actually find it awkward). It never actually crossed my mind to tip an Uber driver. What an awkward thing, this tipping thing. I'd rather have a cashless society and decent minimum wages where every unit of income contributes to tax funding a decent health and social security system...
The only time I tip is when in a developing country, in the US or here in Europe but only very small amounts and when I get exceptional service - for Uber that would mean, I don't know, a bottle of water, a particularly great conversation or a "special" trip e.g. to a hospital for an emergency. Interesting and as controversial as ever.

You are one of the problems with Uber. Tip your driver, he is making next to nothing. Uber does everything to discourage tipping. Your fair is almost 1/3 of a taxi but you will not tip. Cheapskate! Uber will not be around much longer if they continue to treat drivers, engineers, women and employees how they have been treated in the past. I don't get how this company can be valued at 69 billion when they can't turn a profit and dump all their money in to driverless cars which are still at least a decade away of being truly driverless. Now their dumping money into flying cars. Are these investors stupid? If I were an investor I would start demanding uber turn a profit or I would pull out.

mb4birdie

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2017
Wait a second—I read the article and it didn't even cross my mind they were talking about actual passenger ratings. I re-read the article and wow, my brain really missed that because it seems so backwards. I have no need for Uber where I live, so I haven't used it. But you guys are telling me that Uber allows their employees to rate customers? Are you freaking kidding me? What a user hostile company!!

With the way this system works, a driver could sexually harass 1 out of every 5 passengers and still get a 4 star rating. I've heard horror stories from passengers who are trying to get to the airport and their driver got pulled over twice for speeding, causing them to miss the flight, and then proceeded to yell and argue with the customer when they arrived about giving them a big tip to make up for the speeding tickets. You're telling me those idiots can rate the passengers poorly for not tipping? This whole system is insane and I can't wait for Uber to collapse.

OK, it goes both ways. We have certain people that will rate us low just so they can call to complain and get a refund. Yes, we can rate you if you don't tip and you will never get a 5 from me unless you tip. Uber is 1/3 the price of a taxi and drivers are not making what uber says. They are making .70 cents a mile after ubers cut in most cities! Wise up dude! Soon no one will pick you up because your rating is too low. I have also heard plenty of horror stories from passengers who aren't respectful to you or your car.
[doublepost=1493230530][/doublepost]
One of the big selling points of Uber for me was you didn't have to tip. But if you don't tip the drivers they definitely rate you down. Lame

Do you understand what uber is paying their drivers? They need to be tipped in order to stay in business.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.