Ubuntu - Your experiences?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by mrsir2009, Mar 17, 2011.

1. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

If you've ever used Ubuntu before, what is your experience with it?

2. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Grand OS. Works a treat if you just wish to web browse, email, do some simple document work and IM.

The server edition is beastly as well.

3. mrsir2009 thread starter macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Its very lightweight isn't it, so its good for low end/older computers.

4. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

I hate Ubuntu for normal computing. That's just me though.

Mac > Windows > Linux

5. Synthion, Mar 17, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2011

Synthion macrumors regular

That's messed up.

You meant,

Mac>Linux>BSD>Haiku>*insert obscure command-line gui-less OS*>Windows

6. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

No, I to dislike Linux/Ubuntu. Much rather use W7 than that rubbish! :D

7. chris200x9 macrumors 6502a

I have not ran ubuntu for any prolonged period of time for a few years, I am however still a hardcore linux use - I run arch. Ubuntu is awesome, linux in general is awesome! It's my OS of choice.

8. ehoui macrumors regular

I don't mind Ubuntu and it is/was my preferred Linux desktop distro. However, I realized that I just didn't need it. It serves no purpose other than to run Linux only apps, which I do not need. Plus, I find the GUIs for Linux to be "bubble-gummy" and amateurish and after a while it annoys me. In the end, if I had to use it, I would without too much grumpiness, but since I don't, I won't.

9. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

Not really. The stock window manager on Ubuntu (GNOME) as well as #2 choice (KDE) are far too resource-intensive to really be considered "lightweight". Linux scales very well on older hardware, but if you want to squeeze lots of performance out of old hardware, you're much better suited using D*amn Small Linux, compiling a custom Debian install, or at very least running XFCE/Fluxbox/another lightweight WM on top of Ubuntu. I wouldn't want to run stock Ubuntu on much less than 512MB RAM/Pentium III.

Ubuntu's a solid beginner choice for Linux, but I strongly prefer Fedora 14 (it's my primary OS)--a bit more work to get set up, but has far less bloat.

iStudentUK: why exactly you dislike Linux so much? Have you tried multiple distros/window managers etc? There are so many unique applications/customizations of/for Linux that it really takes a bit of experience with several different installs to have a good feel for what Linux really is. Furthermore, at it's core, the Linux kernel has a LOT in common with the BSD underpinnings of OSX--so I'm singularly puzzled as to how you could like OSX, yet hold Linux in such low esteem. The primary critiques I'd hold for Linux would be the greater effort it takes to get the system running, as well as the limited deployment of DRM'd services to the platform (can't use Netflix streaming on Linux, for example).

10. Nermal, Mar 17, 2011

Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I tried it (latest Ubuntu) a few weeks ago, when deciding whether to buy a new Mac or give Linux a go. My experience was not good.

1. After installation, it said "click here to reboot". I clicked it, the CD was automatically ejected, then the screen went to text mode and filled up with I/O errors.

2. After manually rebooting, it dumped me at a logon screen. This was despite selecting "automatic logon" when installing.

3. I inserted a music CD and a player opened (I've forgotten the name of it). I selected to rip the CD and it crawled along, estimating 3 minutes to rip the first track. There was no obvious Cancel button and I couldn't find anything in the menus so I ended up having to close the app while it was in the middle of ripping.

4. Next I tried a DVD and got an error of some sort (again, I don't remember the specifics; it was a few weeks ago). I had to type "sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread4/install-css.sh" at the command line (!) which then made it play, but it was all pixellated.

At this point I gave up and went back to OS X. :rolleyes:

11. Synthion macrumors regular

Yeah, it happens, but more often than not, it goes without a hitch. Especially a user-friendly ubuntu based one.

I am a Unix-junkie, so I naturally triple boot, (OSX, W7, and Arch Linux baby!)

Try again with Mint, or the newest Ubuntu.

EDIT: Also, there are legions of "nerds" out there that are willing to troubleshoot, explain, or even walk you through Linux. It's what they love, and want to spread it. It's almost like missionaries, spreading the word of their beliefs. That's how I heard about it, his name was brad, and he was a stereotypical nerd.

12. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

????!!!!?? What linux forums have you been visiting??? The ones I usually see answer with a "RTFM!" Not to mention if you search for a command in linux 9 times out of 10 its incorrect and you have to dig through 30 pages to find the correct one. That being said I still like it and prefer it as my second choice to OSX.

13. mrsir2009 thread starter macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Nothing much seems to be compatible with Ubuntu, so I'll just stick with OSX I think :)

14. ozred macrumors 6502

I'm a big fan of Linux and have used many distros. My top three are:

1) Slackware
    2) Gentoo
    3) Arch

A bit of a purest and inclined to be a hard core customizer I like to build the software that doesn't come with Slackware. There's a certain satisfaction in setting it up and building it myself. I can't remember the last time I had a laptop with "only one OS on it. Multi-boot is so much better :)

15. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

16. MistaBungle macrumors 6502a

MistaBungle

I love Ubuntu. Cannot wait to get it running on my MBAir!

17. KeriJane, Mar 17, 2011

KeriJane macrumors 6502a

KeriJane

I put Ubuntu on a small and slow system for a friend. It's really nice!
    Way better for dummies like me than oh, say, Suse 9 and way, way safer, cheaper and faster than Windows, especially on a slow-ish system.

OSX>iOS>Ubuntu>Kubuntu>any Linux>Non-MS Command-Line OS>Typewriter>Abacus>Pencil>Windows>Windows Tablet Edition

Have Fun,
    Keri

18. bld44 macrumors 6502

Put me down as a Ubuntu fan. I've almost considered switching all of my personal stuff to it but I realized that I have bought a lot of OS X software over the years and figure it would be a waste.

I use OS X at home.
    RHEL at work.
    CentOS on one of my servers, OS X Server on my home server.
    Ubuntu on campus.

As long as there's no Windows, I'm happy.

19. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

Interesting--you use RHEL/CentOS, yet you don't prefer Fedora? What's your draw to Ubu over F14?

20. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

If you want a really lightweight, yet usable for computer-illiterate people, try Lubuntu. It's truly amazing how fast your old PC could be.

21. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Indeed. I use Ubuntu at home for the same reason I use Mac OS on my laptop... zero malware. Last thing I need is Norton et al hording 20% of my processing power just to get online.:rolleyes: Yes, it's an old system. Core Duo., 1.5G RAM, 60GB HD.

22. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

+infinity
    I seriously mean it, I think Ubuntu is garbage for normal computing. I'd much rather be on Windows XP than Ubuntu. I've tried Ubuntu and got sick of it after the first 3-4 hours.

23. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

To reiterate, what specifically did you dislike?

24. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

Just about everything, to be honest. I just didn't like the UI and its interface, I didn't like how a lot of programs weren't designed for Ubuntu, I didn't like the Linux equivalents of software, it didn't work as smoothly as Windows or OS X, etc, etc. Just a bunch of things. Overall, it just felt like a ripoff of OS X or Windows that didn't work as efficiently. I'm not trying to bash it, because it truly is a very powerful OS. I just don't know how to use it. lol

They are always coming out with newer and better versions, so I'm sure its better now. I havent tried it for a super long time.

25. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

As I see posted across a number of USENET groups:

Ubuntu : n. An African word, meaning "Slackware is too hard for me."

BL.
    Slackware user since 1993.