Ugg Why Can't MAC do what windows does?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mo4yajunk, Nov 2, 2009.

1. mo4yajunk macrumors newbie

All I want to do is to sort various documents in a folder by the order that I downloaded them. This seems to be the most simplest of tasks. Not modified, not created, but by the day I downloaded them into that particular folder. Is there ANY WAY to do this. I can't find a thing on this?:(:(:(

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

The Dock's Stack feature does this for all views (fan, grid, list). You can sort by "Date Added".

(Especially helpful when using the "Downloads" folder... ;) )

4. mo4yajunk thread starter macrumors newbie

The problem with this is that I would have to put about 10 folders on the dock thereby cluttering it up. This will not work. Of if I didn't love MAC so damn much I would go back to my old sinful ways and go back to Windows LOL

5. mo4yajunk thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately date created is using the inherent date stamp from the document and not when it was added to the folder.

6. Zedsdead185 macrumors 6502

and then have other problems, go on a chat board and ask 'why can't windows do what mac does' ;)

7. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Date Modified.

8. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

Try creating one folder and putting aliases to the others in it. Then put that folder in the Dock. I haven't tried that, specifically, but it should work, since the aliased folders are sorted within the Dock's View.

9. mo4yajunk thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately alias don't give you any options on the dock. I think this will just be a moot point.

10. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

They should follow the view of the root folder. Easy enough to try; it's just another option.

11. Gregg2 macrumors 603

mo, have you considered that you can make it do anything you want? You might have to be creative.

So, you want things to be sorted by the date they were added to a folder. Ok, add the first item, and name it 111filename. Now add the second item, and name it 112filename. Now arrange by Name.

Done. (if you have more than 888 files, use 1111filename, etc.)

And oh, by the way, there are also things that a Mac can do that a Windows machine can't. If they were identical, we wouldn't need Macs.

12. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

This still doesn't guarantee that the sort will behave like the OP wants it to. By moving a file from one folder to the other, only the folder's "Date Modified" will change. As long as the file that was moved remains intacted, it will still retain the last date it was modified. In other words, moving a file doesn't count as "modifying" it.

13. mo4yajunk thread starter macrumors newbie

Its okay and thanks for all the responses. I accept that there will just be some things that I cannot do... easily, natively, and this is one of them.

14. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

I'm lost. Date modified is the date I downloaded a pic. If I open it and don't mess with it or save changes then the date I downloaded it (what OSX calls modified) stays the same date.

Are you asking for an entirely different sorting column?

15. Zyniker macrumors 6502

It looks like he is asking for a way to sort the files by the date he originally downloaded them regardless of what he does with them after that date. Realistically, the way to do this is to get a file management program of some sort...or name the files accordingly.

Nota bene: MAC ≠ Mac ≠ MAC. MAC is part of the phrase "MAC address" and is a physical address for a piece of networking hardware (Media Access Control address). Mac = the computer.

16. mo4yajunk thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, this is exactly what I was talking about. But its okay and I do thank everyone for all their insight and helpfulness.