Ugh. 1 bar, no carrier. Did I miss something...

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by jdminpdx, Apr 5, 2011.

1. jdminpdx macrumors 6502

I am happy to report the the PwnageTool worked out great and was very easy. I am now on 4.3.1 (YES!) and have my original baseband.

Now I went into Cydia and ran ultrasn0w and it did its thing. I rebooted and I am not staring at 1 bar with no carrier name. I read that for some who ran ultrasn0w BEFORE the recent update, they were still able to make calls, etc even with the 1 bar (no carrier). For me though I cant do anything.

In fact I dont even seem to have options for to look into my settings under cellular data network.

Any ideas? :(:confused:

2. jdminpdx thread starter macrumors 6502

I actually may have shot myself in the foot with this one and misread/misunderstood what MuscleNerd said on his Twitter account to someone else...

MuscleNerd

The 4.3.1 issues (signal bars, etc) are fixed http://is.gd/OYktXf but need a few days to test all devices + FW (again: not a new unlock!)

I think I jumped the gun as ultrasn0w in Cydia that I just applied is still the old one...

:(

Oops.

3. 007bond macrumors 6502a

007bond

I'm NOT unlocked but I have the same issue. I think i'm going to restore again and jailbreak with pwnage tool(so i can upgrade my baseband)

4. jdminpdx thread starter macrumors 6502

Im really hoping that it is like this because it hasnt been updated.

5. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Its an issue with those using older basebands. Musclenerd explained its entirely a cosmetic thing. You still receive the actual signal, but it is not properly displayed.

6. jdminpdx thread starter macrumors 6502

I saw that however trying to make calls, etc would leave me with a call failed message. Nothing worked.

7. Los macrumors regular

Yeah, it's a cosmetic issue. I have the exact same thing and I think I might make a theme in winterboard where it'll show 5 Bars instead of one. That'll impress my friends. :D

8. 007bond macrumors 6502a

007bond

No, its not. I have no data connection and can't make any calls.

9. Scott90 macrumors 6502

I had the same problem at first. 1 bar, no carrier. I figured this was what MuscleNerd was talking about, but I tested it using Skype, and a call wouldn't go trough, but straight to voicemail instead. It turned out that when creating the custom IPSW, in expert mode, there is an option to automatically activate the phone in case you're not on a legit carrier or something like that. I had this checked (figured it'd be nice to have it activated already), but if you actually ARE on a legit carrier (say, on AT&T -- I think this has to do with hacktivating your phone, but I have no experience in that field, so I might be wrong), this needs to be unchecked. So I made a new IPSW, restored with that firmware, and now it works. I do still have 1 bar, but the carrier shows up in the status bar and I can receive and make phone calls.

10. jdminpdx thread starter macrumors 6502

Just to update you guys,

I found a fix that crystal rx shared. It fixed the no service and no data issue. However the signal bar is stuck at 1 bar at all times. I am looking forward to what the dev teams releases as I don't like not knowing what my real signal is.

11. 007bond macrumors 6502a

007bond

Alright guys. My only fix is to restore to the original 4.3.1 and then jailbreak with redsn0w. It works fine now and I get real signal bars(not stuck on 1 bar).

12. Shanewilliams macrumors 6502a

Did you allow it to update your baseband??

13. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Sounds like he did.

Is this problem only with the iphone 4 or will it do it on the 3gs as well?

14. lapeno macrumors 6502

Getting the same problem of 1 signal bar and not able to make calls. Activated the phone in the IPSW (need it).

However after some hard reboots I can make calls and signal bars are back to normal but now facing a huge battery drain. Lost around 30% battery in 6 hours with iphone being idle.:(

15. MaxBurn macrumors 65816

MaxBurn

Might want to research that, I "think" hactivation has big battery penalties. Maybe look into SAM?