Ugh...AppleCare = Worthless

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by GSMiller, Dec 29, 2008.

1. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

So after having my iMac for just over two years my optical drive stopped functioning. Nothing I tried fixed it so I gave Apple a ring as I bought AppleCare when I bought the system.

Turns out, Apple wanted me to take my iMac to a retailer that would fix it under AppleCare.

Fantastic, right?

For most people, yeah, but not for me, as the closest retailer to me that fixes Apple hardware is over 80 miles away in Lexington.

So I asked if there were any other options, like mailing it in or anything.

Of course not, only notebooks can be mailed in to Apple for repair, not desktops.

So pretty much I am going to have to drive 80 miles both ways to have my iMac fixed under the warranty.

Thanks so much Apple, you've been a big help.

2. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

Go get an external drive then.

3. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Not much help when he's paid for AppleCare to avoid having such expenses.

That does suck, maybe ask to speak to a manager etc?

4. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

Not a very helpful comment.

GSMiller: You'd have thought they'd at least allow mailing it in to them! Personally, I'd be expecting them to pay for delivery - did you try reasoning with them?
    Not great for a company that is known for having good customer service. Sorry about that, hope your drive isn't too bad!

5. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

Are there any Apple certified reseller/repair centres that are closer? What about the store that you bought the iMac from?
    If you're out of options, I'd complain to Apple and get some type of compensation for driving 160 miles. Maybe a gift certificate or iTunes card or something.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Agreed... I mean I could see requiring the purchaser to pay for part / all of the shipping costs, and/or just offer to send you an optical drive and make you change it yourself (which is really not that difficult, and which I would consider a reasonable solution, and certainly the most overall cost effective one) but 80 miles is generally considered outside the realm of reasonable to ask someone to drive for service.

Incidentally this is what the Applecare site currently says:

I would continue to escalate / complain, assuming you have no reason to go to Lexington or wherever it is 80 miles away that you can get service.

7. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

That's right get on my case. There's a thousand threads about this subject in here. There's probably a very good reason why Apple will not allow you to mail in a desktop, the biggest one that comes to mind is that the possibility of damage increases the larger the item is that ships. And that they have already gone down this road with ppl shipping in the desktop, getting it damaged by the shipper and Apple getting the blame for it.

Apple is in the business to sell stuff, therefore they are going to put stores in a popular place to accomplish this goal. Sorry that you would have to drive 80 miles to get there but you wouldn't have to drive 80 miles and then pay to get your computer fixed, AppleCare will take care of the cost of fixing the computer, that's why you bought it.

8. GSMiller thread starter macrumors 68000

GSMiller

The gas would be cheaper than an external drive, just a big inconvenience.

Exactly. I didn't, although I do have a case number and am considering calling back, because I distinctly remember someone on this forum shipping their iMac back to Apple for repair.

Yeah really! I explained my situation to him, that all repair centers were at least 80 miles away but that was the only option offered to me. It is quite frustrating. The support guy was nice, but did little to try and assist me with my problem.

9. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

10. Kwill macrumors 68000

Kwill

There's an increased possibility for damage when shipping a large glass display. Most people have inadequate packaging or attempt to use the original retail box that begs to be stolen in transit. Laptops are small and compact. When closed the display is protected. Third-party carriers usually bring a universal padded shipping box in which a laptop can be inserted and sealed in under a minute.

The repair+labor, I'm sure, exceeds $300 which is more than the cost of AppleCare so I don't see how it can be considered worthless. Apple has no control over where customers live. In the same situation, I might plan an outing to make my drive worthwhile.

11. GSMiller thread starter macrumors 68000

GSMiller

There are zero Apple certified resellers/repair centers in the area. When I bought it I had to order direct from Apple.

12. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I have the same problem with Apple Service Providers here in Arkansas. The nearest one to my "home" is 70 miles away, but to my college residence is roughly 25 miles (so I'm well within the on-site service area) there.

If you don't want to make the drive, you might contact one of the local Apple service providers to see if you could mail your computer to the them. They are generally just local computer repair stores with a certified Apple tech, and they don't always follow Apple's "rules."

Otherwise, I would call them anyway to let them know your coming 80 miles and want everything to be ready for your repair. They might prioritize your repair. I would also fill out a complaint on Apple's feedback Web site or send sjobs an e-mail.

This is sort of unacceptable since Dell, HP and others allow desktops to be mailed in certain circumstances. However, they also make computers where things like the optical drive are easily replaced by the user.

Apple designs those notebook boxes. If you look, they originate at an Apple facility and are shipped to you. Apple could easily design boxes for the iMac too. Because it's not convenient is not an excuse, and because one customer may exceed the $300 cost of AppleCare is not an excuse either. It's widely known in the industry extended warranties are big money-makers as most consumers don't even use them.

13. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Whatever. You can buy a Dell with a warranty and they'll come out and fix it. Shouldn't be any different with a Mac.

14. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

There is a huge difference. The amount of ppl who need a fix on an Apple product does not compare to the amount of ppl who need a fix on a PC. You want the same care Dell gives, go buy a Dell.

15. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I have to say I am shock by this tread. Only one miss guided fan boy blinding defending apple.

Everyone else is being rather supportive. i will say I like how these boards have improved with a larger group of people willing to not turn a blind eye to apple problems.

I with others think it is unreasonable for apple to require you to drive that far. 30 maybe even 40 miles I would say is acceptable to drive. 80 miles each way is not.

16. 2056 macrumors 6502

well, i know this doesn't help at all.
    but i was not aware that you could not ship out the imac.
    i did plan on purchasing applecare before my year is up in February.
    the closest store is 170 miles away..that would be such a pain.

now i'll have to reconsider, so thanks.

17. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

That's ridiculous.

Tell them to come to you lol.

18. Cory5412 macrumors member

Last summer I had to have Apple replace the hard disk in my iMac, and I'm like 90-120 miles away from any service centers they know about, and I asked really really nicely of a lot of people, and they sent a subcontracted person out. In talking to the guy who opened the iMac and replaced the hard disk, he also commonly fixes Sony TVs, Dell and Sony computers, and Hewlett Packard printers.

19. GSMiller thread starter macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I have read all the replies and would like to thank everyones input.

The simple fact that I'm having to take it to an Apple authorized retailer isn't the problem, but because (as some of you have said), all of the PC manufacturers will let you ship their desktops back to them for repair. I had a floppy disk get stuck in the drive of my HP Pavilion desktop back in the day, and HP had a whole new system shipped to me at no charge. Apple on the other hand, can't even repair the system I have without me having to hand deliver it to the repair shop.

I don't expect a warranty to be a fail safe plan against having to pay to get something fixed, but warranties are bought as a convenience after all and this is nothing of the sort.

I do plan on contacting someone at Apple about this when it is all said and done, and it has made me seriously consider whether or not I will buy another Mac.

Believe me, if I could service my iMac myself I would.

20. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

Sorry, I don't see the big problem. How did you think the warranty would work? The main feature of AppleCare is the ability to bring the unit to an Apple store. An hour-and-a half drive both ways to get your two-year old iMac back to like-new condition is inconvenient, but well worth it. Plus, both you and Apple would know the exact condition of the machine upon drop-off and pick-up. Stop whining, get in the car and get your iMac fixed.

21. GSMiller thread starter macrumors 68000

GSMiller

:rolleyes: This is all easy for you to say, you can walk in any direction and be at an Apple store in five minutes. And that's not the point, the point is it's ludicrous for Apple, who has the highest rated customer service in the industry, to not offer me the option of mailing it in when all of their competitors do.

22. mreg376 macrumors 6502a

I'm not saying it because it's easy. 80 miles is 80 miles, whether or not I can walk anywhere. If I was in your position, I would drive the 80 miles. Instead, you've chosen to waste time complaining about something that you should have considered in the first place had you taken the time to read the AppleCare agreement before you purchased it. And by the way, Apple has NO competitors in terms of the quality service it provides through its warranties and AppleCare. You want to ship your desktop computer around the country for repairs, buy Dell.

23. liquidtrend macrumors 6502

liquidtrend

im sorry to hear about your situation.
    hopefully you will find a need to head into lexington soon. maybe for new years or a very early valentines gift?

24. VoR macrumors 6502a

Consumer surveys :(

I can't think of a time I've ever bought into extended warranties. Retail shops live off the hard sale of these, and 99% of the time it seems like a ridiculous waste of money.
    Having the option of sending a broken purchase back to the manufacturer is a good thing surely? Paying extra and still not being able to do this sounds pretty crazy to me, especially when computer firms (like your example, dell) offer same/next day on-site repairs and replacements.

I bought a 24" dell screen on ebay that developed a fault in the power switch after what I would guess was about 12 months. I phoned them up and couldn't provide the purchase details they wanted, but they still sent a guy round with a new screen the next day - I'm not sure where or how this shows up on 'quality of warranty service' opinions/stats, I've certainly never been asked.

I've had replacement peripherals from microsoft, logitech, linksys etc that have been literally years and years out of warranty, and all of them have just sent replacement products out, without requiring a return of the faulty device and with no questions asked.

25. GSMiller thread starter macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I typically don't buy extended warranties either but I thought Apple, who scores insanely high in customer satisfaction, would be different.

I got a survey emailed to me today from Apple about my recent experience :)