Ugh dinged my watch

EvilManatee

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 22, 2015
I just accidentally dropped my stainless watch and it got a pretty ugly ding in the top right corner of the case. Looks like it took a small piece of the stainless out of the case. I am pretty upset about this. What are my options here? Can Apple do a case repair and does anyone know what that would cost. I don't have apple care. Thanks.

Attachments

robertk328

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Dude, you can barely see it. Don't waste your money on a repair.
It would be a replacement but they may have a price less than the $599 since you have all the other stuff. I would probably not bother for a small ding like that but it's totally up to you :)

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
W/O Apple care its not worth it. I know its too late for you, but I would like to state that for the cost - AC is a good idea given the potential abuse apple watches endure.

Reactions: artfossil

artfossil

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2015
Florida
W/O Apple care its not worth it. I know its too late for you, but I would like to state that for the cost - AC is a good idea given the potential abuse apple watches endure.
I'll be completely happy if I never use my AppleCare+. I'm clumsy and the peace of mind wt AppleCare is worth much more to me than the cost.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I may be wrong, but they probably won't do a replacement for cosmetic reasons outside of a screen. For example, they won't replace an iPhone b.c the aluminum is dinged with AC+

convergent

macrumors 68030
May 6, 2008
I may be wrong, but they probably won't do a replacement for cosmetic reasons outside of a screen. For example, they won't replace an iPhone b.c the aluminum is dinged with AC+
Probably right but it's a silly policy since someone could be so upset that they dinged their watch that they accidentally drop it or something. ;)

I'd take it to a jeweler and see if they can fix it. If it were gold they could but not sure about stainless... Without damaging the electronics.

Reactions: KPOM

KPOM

macrumors G5
Oct 23, 2010
I'd see if a jeweler or watch repair shop can buff the stainless steel and/or apply a filler to make it less noticeable.

sean000

macrumors 68000
Jul 16, 2015
Bellingham, WA
It's beausage - beauty by usage. That's a term Grant Petersen of Rivendell Bicycle Works uses to describe the patina, dings and other blemishes materials develop over time as they are used. His company sells very beautiful and expensive lugged steel bicycles that he encourages owners to ride hard and over any type of terrain. Petersen believes that some materials age more beautifully than others. Steel ages better than aluminum or carbon fiber. Leather, wood, wool and cotton age better than plastic or vinyl. The synthetic materials may last just as long, and in some cases longer, but they will not look as good after many years of usage.

From your photo and other photos I have seen, I think a stainless steel Apple Watch still looks beautiful with some tiny scratches and dings... I don't think my aluminum Sport will look as good after it gets its first ding. It's subjective though. Some people polish their jewelry on a regular basis, while others like to admire the patina and scratches that build up over time.

I don't know if the term "beausage" makes you feel better about that first ding or not, but it certainly makes me feel better about the chips in my 12-year-old Rivendell's paint job :)

Sean

Reactions: BarracksSi

Mascots

macrumors 68000
Sep 5, 2009
I'm just going to leave this here based on my experience: They will replace without screen damage, at least for Apple Watches with enough damage to the body. Neither do I know, nor do I think, that qualifies for enough though.

I had a space grey version that I smacked against a door knob and ended up scratching off a chunk of it's coating from the side of the crown, up and around top edge, and putting a nice deep scratch into it. Went to Apple Store, asked, and shortly later I walked out with a new watch.

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013
I just accidentally dropped my stainless watch and it got a pretty ugly ding in the top right corner of the case. Looks like it took a small piece of the stainless out of the case. I am pretty upset about this. What are my options here? Can Apple do a case repair and does anyone know what that would cost. I don't have apple care. Thanks.
All I see is a reflection of Kermit the Frog. lolz.

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013
Apple care is a rip off man.

A watch is strapped to your wrist, your phone just free balls in your pocket, bag, hand, etc. Which is more likely to endure abuse?

Yeah baby! SS for life.

fanta88

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2015
Sorry to hear that, op.

That being said, I have a SS watch too and it's scratched and scuffed to hell. The first scuff was traumatic, but as the scuffs accumulated over time, I find it only adds to the look. I probably will never polish it, unless I was going to sell it.

Reactions: sean000

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
Apple care is a rip off man.

A watch is strapped to your wrist, your phone just free balls in your pocket, bag, hand, etc. Which is more likely to endure abuse?

Yeah baby! SS for life.
I read this as the watch being strapped to something other than the wrist. :p

Reactions: Donoban

L.C.W.

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
MN
Found a scratch on my 6 day old SB SS... Within 14 day... Not sure what I should do... The downside of the SB with DLC coating is that it's not polishable like bare SS.

Attachments

Jessem1133

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2014
Found a scratch on my 6 day old SB SS... Within 14 day... Not sure what I should do... The downside of the SB with DLC coating is that it's not polishable like bare SS.
I wouldn't worry about it. It's going to be plenty scratched up after a few months from normal wear. Enjoy it!

Cowboy1629

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Indiana
Do you know how you did it? I'm about 2 months into mine now with 16+ hours of day use on a farm and in a manufacturing area without the first mark on mine. I'm normally rough on watches so I'm impressed on how this one is holding up. If it were me and it bothered me enough to post on here and I was still within the test drive period I would return it and get my money back.

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013
Return it, get another and scratch again? Welcome to life man. Now your watch has some character.