Ugh dinged my watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by EvilManatee, Nov 1, 2015.

1. EvilManatee macrumors member

EvilManatee

I just accidentally dropped my stainless watch and it got a pretty ugly ding in the top right corner of the case. Looks like it took a small piece of the stainless out of the case. I am pretty upset about this. What are my options here? Can Apple do a case repair and does anyone know what that would cost. I don't have apple care. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. Cowboy1629 macrumors regular

Cowboy1629

3. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

4. Jessem1133 macrumors 6502

Dude, you can barely see it. Don't waste your money on a repair.

5. robertk328 macrumors regular

robertk328

It would be a replacement but they may have a price less than the $599 since you have all the other stuff. I would probably not bother for a small ding like that but it's totally up to you :)

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

W/O Apple care its not worth it. I know its too late for you, but I would like to state that for the cost - AC is a good idea given the potential abuse apple watches endure.

7. artfossil macrumors 6502a

artfossil

I'll be completely happy if I never use my AppleCare+. I'm clumsy and the peace of mind wt AppleCare is worth much more to me than the cost.

8. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I may be wrong, but they probably won't do a replacement for cosmetic reasons outside of a screen. For example, they won't replace an iPhone b.c the aluminum is dinged with AC+

9. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

10. convergent macrumors 68030

convergent

Probably right but it's a silly policy since someone could be so upset that they dinged their watch that they accidentally drop it or something. ;)

I'd take it to a jeweler and see if they can fix it. If it were gold they could but not sure about stainless... Without damaging the electronics.

11. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

Looks fine. Too bad you don't have a story about hookers and Zeppelin racing to go with the ding.

12. Michael/O macrumors member

Michael/O

That doesn't look bad at all to me. I would consider that a beauty mark. :)

13. KPOM macrumors G5

I'd see if a jeweler or watch repair shop can buff the stainless steel and/or apply a filler to make it less noticeable.

14. convergent macrumors 68030

convergent

Classic!

15. sean000 macrumors 6502a

sean000

It's beausage - beauty by usage. That's a term Grant Petersen of Rivendell Bicycle Works uses to describe the patina, dings and other blemishes materials develop over time as they are used. His company sells very beautiful and expensive lugged steel bicycles that he encourages owners to ride hard and over any type of terrain. Petersen believes that some materials age more beautifully than others. Steel ages better than aluminum or carbon fiber. Leather, wood, wool and cotton age better than plastic or vinyl. The synthetic materials may last just as long, and in some cases longer, but they will not look as good after many years of usage.

From your photo and other photos I have seen, I think a stainless steel Apple Watch still looks beautiful with some tiny scratches and dings... I don't think my aluminum Sport will look as good after it gets its first ding. It's subjective though. Some people polish their jewelry on a regular basis, while others like to admire the patina and scratches that build up over time.

I don't know if the term "beausage" makes you feel better about that first ding or not, but it certainly makes me feel better about the chips in my 12-year-old Rivendell's paint job :)

Sean

16. Mascots macrumors 65816

Mascots

I'm just going to leave this here based on my experience: They will replace without screen damage, at least for Apple Watches with enough damage to the body. Neither do I know, nor do I think, that qualifies for enough though.

I had a space grey version that I smacked against a door knob and ended up scratching off a chunk of it's coating from the side of the crown, up and around top edge, and putting a nice deep scratch into it. Went to Apple Store, asked, and shortly later I walked out with a new watch.

17. Donoban macrumors 6502a

Donoban

All I see is a reflection of Kermit the Frog. lolz.

18. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

19. Donoban macrumors 6502a

Donoban

Apple care is a rip off man.

A watch is strapped to your wrist, your phone just free balls in your pocket, bag, hand, etc. Which is more likely to endure abuse?

Yeah baby! SS for life.

20. fanta88 macrumors 6502

Sorry to hear that, op.

That being said, I have a SS watch too and it's scratched and scuffed to hell. The first scuff was traumatic, but as the scuffs accumulated over time, I find it only adds to the look. I probably will never polish it, unless I was going to sell it.

21. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

I read this as the watch being strapped to something other than the wrist. :p

22. L.C.W. macrumors regular

L.C.W.

Found a scratch on my 6 day old SB SS... Within 14 day... Not sure what I should do... The downside of the SB with DLC coating is that it's not polishable like bare SS.

Attached Files:

23. Jessem1133 macrumors 6502

I wouldn't worry about it. It's going to be plenty scratched up after a few months from normal wear. Enjoy it!

24. Cowboy1629 macrumors regular

Cowboy1629

Do you know how you did it? I'm about 2 months into mine now with 16+ hours of day use on a farm and in a manufacturing area without the first mark on mine. I'm normally rough on watches so I'm impressed on how this one is holding up. If it were me and it bothered me enough to post on here and I was still within the test drive period I would return it and get my money back.

25. Donoban macrumors 6502a

Donoban

Return it, get another and scratch again? Welcome to life man. Now your watch has some character.